1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Do you think Tate will be better than he is now? an all star? What is ceiling, full potential? Please compare to other nba players, some say he is like Anthony Mason or Draymond Green. Is he part of the Rocket’s future? If so a big part? Is he a product of Silas? Lot more questions than answer with him.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Marcus Smart I think is a good cure comparison. As for his potential, who knows, but he’s been improving and his advanced stats are really good.

burlesk likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Hard to see him getting much better, but maybe he can improve his three point shot. Other than that he is who he is I feel. He definitely looks like an NBA rotation player. He can finish, a strong defender, but slightly undersized. Could be a strong and affordable energy guy for years.

burlesk, banzai, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

is full potential is probably around 15ppg 6apg 7reb with playing 2nd team All Defense.

His floor is what you see now. Solid rotation player.

#4 Bo6, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's better than House, and younger. Probably more mature too, considering the crap House pulled last year in playoffs.

6. Houston77

Supporting Member

What makes you think he can’t get better? We aren’t utilizing him enough and his TS% is like .615.

CircaSurvive, Trackwell and D-rock like this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Mvp. Best guy on team. Rookie of the year. Seriously though I think Tate could be a point guard. Also he needs to get better at 3s.

Corrosion and banzai like this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I just don’t see anything special in his game, like creating his own shot or for others. He could improve on defense and his shot, but he will still be 6’4”.

where do you see him improving significantly? Did he show more skills in Australia?

don’t get me wrong I really like him I just don’t see him becoming a star, but you still need really good role players to win anything.

Emtenndo, HP3, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Point guard?! Am I missing something? I don’t recall seeing impressive handles or vision.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

he will be a good role player, and nothing more

majority of his points are hustle buckets

Star? We need to stop throwing that word around so loosely.

fattz, Nook, Emtenndo and 11 others like this.
  11. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’ve seen him display a ton of potential to create his own shot, particularly in the last couple games. He seems more and more comfortable driving. Add a better 3 shot along with improved driving and his high TS% and you really may have something.

His height is not a big factor IMO. He certainly does not look small on the court.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I hope you’re right. He’s the only guy I trust to make a layup, I’ll tell you that much.

13. xaos

xaos Member

Ron Artest

14. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Agree, that's the ceiling, hope he gets there with us. I can see him filling for pat bev role's for a few years with us

Sanity2disChaos and Dankstronaut like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

yeah definitely. he's great in the PnR and has show to be able to throw the lob or kick out to shooters.

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

Ron Arrest meets Mario Elie is the best case I think.

D-rock likes this.
  17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

This is a great question and I hate being a debbie downer but I think he is what he is. He can get better in terms of shooting but he’s not an 18 yo kid that hasn’t reached his potential, he’s developed his game and that’s what we’re seeing. I don’t think he has this magically high ceiling just bc it’s his first yr in the nba. I like him a lot but I don’t think he’s going to be the next “anyone”

fattz, jiggyfly, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  18. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Best case scenario.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s good enough that he should definitely be starting over Danuel House. That’s the first change Silas should make right away. Long term? Hard to say. He’s a very unusual player. Plays much bigger than his height, love his intensity, shot has room for improvement. I think he could be a good rotation player for many years, and a decent starter too for a lot of teams. I don’t think he will ever be an all-star or anything, but he’s the kind of guy every good team needs.

fattz, pr0wler and Nelly like this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

1. He will get better. Not in the bigger/faster/stronger way most rookies do but his shot will marginally improve and his handle will probably get better too.

2. Not an all-star type but solid rotation guy for the next 5 or so seasons probably.

3. Artest is a good comparison if his shot gets better.

4. Definitely could be part of the future. However, you aren't going to avoid small forwards in fa/the draft because he is on the team. His contract as much as his talent makes him a part of the future.

5. Don't think Silas' system is the reason for his success. He is just a dog (in a good way).

fattz, HP3, D-rock and 1 other person like this.