1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know Silver is as good as gold around these parts, but I don't trust him. I don't like the comments quoted below. I think the education they plan to give the players will be nothing more than an ultimatum.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...players-hesitant-promote-coronavirus-vaccines

Many of the NBA's top players are expressing apprehension about accepting invitations to participate in league-sponsored public service announcements to bolster broader acceptance of the coronavirus vaccine, sources told ESPN.

The NBA's outreach to the agents of many of the league's elite players -- with hopes of getting stars to participate in PSAs to promote the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine -- has been met with a tepid response, sources said. Player apprehensions about receiving the vaccine are consistent with those that also exist in Black communities throughout the country, agents and players told ESPN.

Sources describe a number of factors contributing to many players' reluctance to participate, including uncertainty about taking the vaccine themselves, reluctance to advocate its use for others and resistance to extending favors to a league amid the largely unpopular plans for an All-Star Game.

On a call with league general managers on Tuesday, commissioner Adam Silver continued to tell top team executives that the league wouldn't "jump the line" of the general public to get vaccines, but he suggested an optimistic timeline that included the possibility of late March and early April for the start of player vaccinations, sources said. Nevertheless, that's considered a fluid timeline, largely meant to reaffirm to teams the need to be prepared for whenever the opportunity to vaccinate players comes from public health officials, sources said.

"In the African American community, there's been enormously disparate impact from COVID ... but now, somewhat perversely, there's been enormous resistance [to vaccinations] in the African American community for understandable historical reasons," Silver said recently. "If that resistance continues, it would be very much a double whammy to the Black community, because the only way out of this pandemic is to get vaccinated."

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as well it should be. this isn't an individual pandemic. it's a global pandemic. a person's actions don't just affect themselves. whether it's out in the real world or whether it's in getting playoff games cancelled and costing people a bunch of money. if a vaccine is available, nba players should have to take it to keep playing. and i would think they would be heavily invested in not bringing about the double-whammy silver talks about. we all know history isn't kind when looking at situations like this, but it feels like a lot of this "well, we won't get the vaccine" talk is a super-misplaced reaction to the rightfully placed anger against the wrongs of the past, and it's going to hurt those very same people.

xtruroyaltyx, Sandi, RudyTBag and 4 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If it's going to be mandated like that, every GM, coach, ballboy, nacho salesman... anybody that has to do with the league should also be mandated to get it. Owners too. To me you can't just point at players, you have to be a league that supports the vaccine for all equally.

Deckard, Sandi, Andre0087 and 5 others like this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

By Top players do they mean Kyrie.

ak99999, RudyTBag and tinman like this.
  5. JumpMan

They need to bar him from even talking about it.

Sajan, ak99999, RudyTBag and 3 others like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What sort of ultimatum are you think of? I'd be surprised if the NBA actually forces players to talk about vaccination against their will.

7. JumpMan

I could think of lots of ultimatums depending on the player. Real shady, dark stuff. But for most, I'll say even tougher Covid restrictions. The article mentions less restrictions as an incentive to take the vaccine, so that is believable.

The lessening of restrictions is weird, because, as far as I know, even if you take the vaccine, aren't you supposed to be as careful as you have always been?

Invisible Fan and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Having had Covid and having spent 8 days in the hospital with Pneumonia, if I can avoid that **** again, I'd take it 10 times.

Got diagnosed with basically, you should be fine. Buy a pulse ox and if it gets below 90 come back. About 8 days in it plummets to 83 all of a sudden. Went back to that HCA free standing ER and spent 28 hours on a stretcher there before being transferred in the middle of the night to an HCA hospital. It took a few days before there was any improvement in my lungs. I really began to think this could be if for me if things hadn't changed.

I got the first shot last Saturday, Don't risk being the person who this turns in to a life threatening event. I'm against a mandate but making sure people understand this might prevent what I went through and others who had it much worse is necessary,

9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

This is a minority mistrust for the government giving shots. As a blk person I have to convince my family n friends to take it. Honestly it's a tough issue but nba players should be the ones leading n promoting the vaccine. They know better. Nba players can get the best treatments for covid. The poor and low income can't. The vaccines is the best way for us to get out of this.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In general, Covid Treatment is a cluster**** right now. It's hit and miss as to what works for one person or another, I saw it first hand. Yes, vaccines are our best hope.

Nook likes this.
  12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Would anyone really be that surprise if irving and kyrie were against the covid vaccination.

Judging by their behavior, they might think the vaccine is more dangerous than covid.

13. juanming

juanming Member

Well this should be in the D & D. Because this thread will turn into a for or against vaccines

Silver like most Americans is an idiot

He says the only way out of the pandemic is to get vaccinated that is not true

I don't care if you're a doctor or who you are you can throw link after link after linked at that is not true

I can throw link after link after a link back at you with people saying they are getting very sick or even dying from the vaccines

We can go back and forth forever

And the reason he is wrong just like dr. Fauci is because there's something called natural immunity

Your own body's producing antibodies is a much safer and long term better solution than a potentially unhealthy vaccine trying to produce the same antibodies

Guess most people don't understand that

If you had covid and you got very sick I'm sorry... If you had family members died from it my condolences

But don't be pushing a vaccine on to me just because your family got sick

No offense

but I had covid.. I coughed for a week and then it was gone and now I have a healthy natural immunity to it

Plus when I had it my five year old daughter was all over me still, hugs and kisses, cuddling etc and she didn't get sick

And my 75 yr old parents didn't get sick

They are more scared of the vaccine than they are of covid

Basically covid-19 around for a year and you been thousands of thousands of people at Walmart and if you haven't gotten sick by now then you are most likely asystematic and had a natural immunity just like I do or you've been living in a cave for the past year

They say that the mask won't stop the pandemic, you have to get the vaccine ,and yet I guarantee u , u are one of those people shopping at Walmart everyday getting fat on groceries stack to the top of the cart

And that was before the vaccine and u didn't get sick yet so you don't need a vaccine... And if have gotten sick in the past from covid-19 then what are you doing shopping at grocery stores you going to catch it again aren't you??

You're a hypocrite because you know damn well you have a natural immunity to it now because of the antibodies you've got naturally so you're not scared to shop no more are u??

And don't say you guys have been living in a cave the past year scared of covid because there's no vaccine

You're lying and your hypocrite because the stores are packed Christmas shopping this year was just as packed as it was the previous year and you know it

So don't give me this crap just like Adam Silver does that we need the vaccine

Bullcrap

If everybody was so scared of covid like they say they are then the stores in the lines would not be a mile long just for me to get a couple of groceries

I swear I don't know if it's me but has everybody just gotten fatter except for me because everybody lost their job because of covid-19 so all they do is shop and sit at home and eat??

It's sickening... Supposedly the media says people are starving all around the country because of the economy and Covid and yet every time I go to the store I get runned over by a 400 pound person racing to fill up her shopping cart . . ..yeah ur starving alright!!!!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounded like Irving and Kyrie are split personalities. :D

15. juanming

juanming Member

16. juanming

juanming Member

Anybody noticed that gasoline prices have skyrocketed 40 cents a gallon in just the first month of Biden's presidency?? I have...I don't worship the ground he walks on just because I disagree with Trump .

I don't give a damn about a guy's personal life or beliefs all I care about is my money my taxes and my gasoline prices

It was better with Trump

Check in with me in 6 months when gas is $4 a gallon then we'll talk

The hell with the vaccine .. if you believe every thing Dr fauci and Biden tells you then I got a bridge to sell you

17. Sanity2disChaos

Like he said, We produce our own antibodies... 10x better than a rushed vaccine. I’ve had it , got sick ( all symptoms) and my body and immune system is stronger because of it. How about you go first!!

18. TimDuncanDonaut

Hey Adam,

If you want an athlete to endorse something. Pay up, there's no free lunch.

[​IMG]

Use some of that NBA fines, and return it to the players.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Haha you're probably right!

Too late to edit, but yeah I meant to write harden and irving.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

And thats bidens fault?