1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Oct 15, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So wait, the Vipers are the only entity that recognizes Morey? Still no word from any of the players? I mean, it seems really obvious this has to do with China.

2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I'm forever a DM fan. Always kept things interesting, willing to admit when he ****ed up for the most part, and a freedom lover too :)

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

He has conscience. He did a great job for Houston. In terms the benefits/money for the NBA, he decide to leave is totally correct. All the best to him.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

So what was Morey's user name on CF?

@Clutch

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Just looking at a post I made several weeks ago in light of recent events...
    1. Predictability - Silas is talking about being more unpredictable, and adding variety to the offense. We now have a potential low post threat. We have a two centers or a center and power forward that are long and can shoot 3's. Wood can vastly expand our options over Capela with lobs, drives, and outside shooting. On paper, this sounds great to me. We'll see if translates to wins.
    2. Flexibility - I have no idea if this will change, but abandoning the science experiment we were turning into is a comforting thought. Even the perfect formula for a team can be beat, so it's nice to acknowledge we might need different personnel or strategies for different opponents is good.
    3. Controlling coaches too much - Again, I have no idea, but I'm guessing this HAS to change.
    4. Charisma - Stone already did a few BIG things. Does he talk a better game and demand more respect with players than Morey? Morey was definitely disliked by some, which makes it more difficult to persuade them. Keep in mind that Stone did what he did with 2 superstars that said they want to leave, so these players are walking into an uncertain environment.
    Another random thought. I thought Morey pursued long shots too much, to the detriment of the team. The superstar first, everyone else 4th attitude probably held us back at times. After we landed Harden, the number of massive game-changing deals netted us ZERO in 2021. I always wanted scream that we just needed to get better more than land Lebron James.

BamBam and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey got us to a hamstring of a championship, I don't think Small ball was his idea, he drafted Capela for a reason - I think he just supported the Terrible Westbrook trade.

I am happy with Stone though, this offseason has some really good players available and he is getting a good amount of the good ones......now if he can flip Westrbrook for a starter level player we are golden.

DD

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

i agree I think more put together two really good team. The first year Howard harden team had a lot of promise just injuries and bad luck held us back only got to see it for one year and parsons honestly walking was a good think that team was young and had a lot of potential with dmo and a few others.

the cp3 first year team was amazing very great fit and everything worked. He did a great job putting that team together.

stone is def going in a different direction with bigs and I like it I’m sick of the small ball shoot a million threes.

I can’t imagine MDA was happy about the cp3 or cling trade MDA offense is about the PNR and once clint was gone his philosophy was gone and that was on Morey.

9. OkayAyeReloaded

Those are fair points.

Morey was a HOF caliber GM but he did have real strengths and weaknesses. I think certain intangible things that come from studying the game at times were missing, guys like Silas who have been around basketball their whole lives brought fresh ideas to us but are common sense if you study the game.

Don't be predictable on offense or defense. Rebounding, paint defense and shot-blocking help win games and series, look at the shot charts in the LA series.

They punished us inside and had second-chance points. They also made adjustments and got smaller at times with AD at center. They had championship role players like Green and Rondo who knew how to step up in the playoffs, those are intangibles you can't quantify.

We couldn't adjust because we lacked personnel and in our philosophy.

I'm all for innovation and new things, but some things are traditional because they still work. Judge based on results always, LA, Toronto, and even Golden state would mix up big and small lineups.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I was always a fan of Daryl,

now I am rooting more for him and the 76ers.

LOL

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this post just feels like it needs to be in this thread:

:D:D

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

DM is awful apart from the Harden trade - glad hes gone

Gives away 1st rounders like they are a plague getting absolutely zero value in return for them
    Tries to get too cute with his picks like Marcus Morris when Kawhi is just sitting there
    Thinks he thinks in 4D by rejecting a player just contending over a PLAYER option. e.g. Goran Dragic
    Blows his load on hopeless headcases like Royce White and Terrence Williams
    Thinks he's playing chess vs checkers with ridiculous "smart" concoctions on Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik

The list just goes on

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and yet we were competitive all those years

HP3 and harold bingo like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Imagine getting ass blasted by a team built by Daryl Morey and his protege and saying this stuff....you cant be doin this bro.

dmoneybangbang and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Pretty hard to not be competitive with a HOF player on your team

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Pretty hard to get a HOF the way Daryl did.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, you think asset collector Daryl Morey wanted to give away first round picks for luxury tax savings??? Like wtf are you even saying... Why do you think he quit? If he actually had the power to make all the decisions he'd still be here.

dmoneybangbang and HP3 like this.
  18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I give him an immense amount of credit for that. Also half a gold star for Clint Capela, Chris Paul and Chandler Parsons (but then lost him for nothing when we had him on the hook for 800k)

Everything else stinks

19. HP3

HP3 Member

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Man the Sixers arent even taking us seriously anymore