1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I hate to say it but by the time they get here, TX won't need them. Plumbers on the other hand...

2. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Drove from downtown to Hillcroft this morning. Took 59 and no ice on the road...some lights are out but you should be fine. Sorry about your daughter man.

NewRoxFan and ElPigto like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The fire alarm going off indicates it was the sprinkler system that burst. There's no dripping those lines. Those are bursting in so many apartments now.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's negative 5 and their pipes likely aren't bursting either. We know things are built differently based on the expected climate of an area.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I suspect that they are primarily for the vaccines.

ArtV likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Yep, this is one of those times where the plumbers will be calling plumbers.

ramotadab and ArtV like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I went to my mom's in Kingwood. Roads not bad. Our first shelter at a friend's also lost power.

Kingwood currently has power. I'm sure that'll change but we got a hot bath and food. We'll live.

God keep you all safe because the state of Texas...well, I'm a native, and there's much to love. But it's feeling third world-ish now.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Just received a phone message from Sam Houston State... Huntsville is on mandatory water boil.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My parents never lost electricity, but a pipe burst in the ceiling of their utility room. They could hardly get anybody to answer the phone much less show up. Some of the big names said they're swamped. Finally found somebody to come look at the issue. Hopefully that's the only issue they'll run into. It's a crappy feeling not being able to help people that helped you your whole life.

Andre0087, heypartner, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This is exactly what happened to mine. The burst was from the sprinkler system. Another one burst this morning as well. And another two nights ago.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Finally, after 42 hours I have power.

Not sure how long it'll stay on. Gonna prep for another and hope for the best.

Kim likes this.
  13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Friend at work had a pipe bust and when he called the plumber they said he was 80th in line.....jeez. I have electricity but no water as of this morning, had it last night but nothing today......Dear Lord, you don't know how much you take these basic necessities for granted until you don't have them. Funny thing is in my 10 years in Omaha with the -20 days on end I never had an issue with pipes, water or electricity

Andre0087, ramotadab and B-Bob like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Local building codes can prepare you for it, but it costs extra money to have a house ready for multiple days way below freezing, from what I understand. It's like my home in SF not at all being ready for a couple of 105 ˚F days we've had in recent summers, (with no AC or proper window awnings or insulation for such temps). Was so brutal and the attic got dangerous hot.

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Have a buddy in Austin that went to stay in a hotel. The water pipes in the hotel burst.

#1216 arkoe, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Kim and ramotadab like this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seems like nat gas energy production has actually been doing well but certainly not good enough. We are around summer 2020 energy generation from nat gas. Everything else not so much. Lack of winterization on wind, coal, and nuclear hurt them the most on a percentage of energy production basis. Nat gas is the only thing working well. Demand shock was no joke either. Thanks for the link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Left Monday night to stay at my dad's who had power, turned off the water to our house and drained the pipes. I'm hoping that saved me from any pipe bursting since we were without power for over 24 hours. Going to wait until Saturday or Sunday to turn the water back on hoping they'll be thawed and fine (neighborhood doesn't have any water pressure rn anyway and we filled up a bathtub and have bottled water). Seems like a few more days of suffering without running water is better than a much bigger and longer lasting problem.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

TO AUSTIN PEOPLE

I have a friend who does a lot of work with the city and has good sources. The city might be shutting off water today. Obviously that would be a complete disaster, but just passing it along Fill up whatever you can just to be safe. The mayor was telling people to not drip faucets because water usage was up 250%, but I think it's probably more likely due to busted pipes everywhere rather than people dripping faucets.

Let's hope this doesn't happen, but I've been prepped for it just in case.

ramotadab and Kevooooo like this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s cold. Picturing myself sitting on a tropical beach

ramotadab and ryan_98 like this.