1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

just turn off the water at the meter.

JumpMan likes this.
  2. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

You would have to drain the entire system and then you wouldn’t be able to use toilets or faucets if you kept it off, I’m guessing. It would be useful if you left out of town or went to stay in a hotel.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It’s really odd, I’m only in sweat pants and a hoodie and I just walked around the neighborhood. I was fine till I took my phone out then my hands started to feel it. I’m checking everywhere in the house every 45 minutes I’m so paranoid. I can’t afford a big fix right now lol

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

My sales manager, based in Georgia, sounded upset with me for not being prepared for my 1 on 1. This morning was the first day I could even access the internet using cellular lol.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yea. I’m terrified about my pool equipment. Once the electricity went out I just turned off the breakers. I’ll check it in a few days. Hoping like hell it’s not fcked. Already owe a **** back in taxes somehow, going to have to sell a kidney.

Kim and Kevooooo like this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

space ghost with some good info there!

i just helped my neighbor turn his water off after a pipe burst. he said "i dont know how this happened, i thought i did everything i was supposed to do". and as he was saying that i looked and saw that his outside faucet was left totally exposed. not wrapped or covered at all.

that wasnt the source of his pipe burst, but still...

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/0...13523274&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

While Webber said all of Texas’ energy sources share blame for the power crisis, the natural gas industry is most notably producing significantly less power than normal.

Gas is failing in the most spectacular fashion right now,” Webber said.

Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, echoed that sentiment Tuesday.

But ya, let's make this a wind thing. smh.

Buck Turgidson and Andre0087 like this.
  8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Yep, I have been telling people this as well for the last few days. There are some issues with wellheads freezing up as well. It is just a disaster all around.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was in Pennsylvania for Christmas last year. Tons of wind turbines operating in freezing conditions.

10. Mr. Space City

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

All sources failed. Including wind.

also including my favorite carbon free source, nuclear. A source that has no excuse. Nuclear is completely regulated as well, so can't **** on Texas for it.

It's just a top to bottom failure.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At 4pm yesterday, I drove to the Randall’s near her on wesleyan/bissonnet. So that’s open too.

Still no stoplights in the area

It is actively raining. But from my high rise, I have a visual of the south loop at Stella Link, and traffic is moving at ~50

As long as you think it’s safe to drive to downtown, you can currently make around downtown and this area of the inner loop 59/West U/Meyerland/etc

Also, I potentially could take some food/water to her. I’m headed to grocery store shortly. DM me your phone number if you want.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I won't be able to make it.

BossHogg713 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

My bathroom is the furthest room from any windows. I’ve got thick curtains up that are retaining a lot of heat. Apartment is 65 but the bathroom is like 75 so I’m good

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks @heypartner both for the info, advice, and the offer. I am getting her this afternoon (borrowing a 4 wheel dive). I have my other daughter who lives in an apartment in Huntsville near Sam here with us as well. That apartment complex also has been out of power the whole time.

She was happy to get warm and recharged at Lakewood and found a Potbelly sandwich shop open and bought a couple of sandwiches, chips, soda and a few waters. Now fed, warmed up a recharged she sounded a lot better, but I will still get her out of there.

Again... thanks for the kind offer. Hopefully all is well with you and yours... and everyone else impacted by this.

heypartner likes this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They’re optional packages and given that Texas doesn’t get these kinds of weather events very often at all, not all of them purchase the additional package. There are a lot of individual producers. A lot of ranchers that lease part of their land or even run a few themselves since anyone can sell energy to the grid.

With natural gas, per ercot, it’s harder to protect these systems. They’re designed for peak summer heat. I’d you enclose them, they overheat and don’t produce as much.

generators follow the North American electric whatever association name is standards which are regulated by the feds. While it’s not mandatory, many of them winterize what they can, but can’t do what some may do in the north because we have more concerns for prolonged summer electric generation than winter.

It’s funny because in 2019 ercot did PHENOMENAL in the summer demand. Highest demand peak ever without issue of supply.

CCorn likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

robbie380 likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Where's the link for that? I'd like to explore more data if possible.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FEMA providing emergency generators for Texas.

20. Buck Turgidson

robbie380 likes this.