1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats easy. Do whatever they do in the NE. Some of those guys get transmission lines lost and are off the grid for a couple weeks. For starters, maybe everyone should stop trying to heat every square inch of their 3000sqft home. Texans have always taken advantage of their cheap energy prices. Instead of trying to act like its a god given right, perhaps they will understand why they name winter storms just as we do for hurricanes. These are major events people should immediately prepare for. Do you think people on the coast just shrug their shoulder when a category 5 heat storm rolls through? The same applies for a winter storm.

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Iced up wind turbines are only part of the problem. That’s just why THOSE went offline. It’s usually no big deal. Wind doesn’t blow all the time, that’s why we diversify. Problem is they froze at the same time other providers went offline. I don’t know why ours freeze and theirs don’t except maybe the conditions on the coast are different or they’re build differently because they deal with different environments like salt water.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

In terms of winter, the homes are built differently there, and most have fire places. Unlike in the south. Because we don’t deal with this often enough for it to be worth making it a standard. I know that’s how some people think, but everything has a cost. Nothing is free.

4. SuraGotMadHops

Same, evacuated out to my parents who just got their power back. Did everything I could to protect pipes, just waiting and praying that nothing bursts.

As for food, I put everything in coolers and I keep it outside, the frozen stayed frozen, and the cold stayed cold, no ice needed.

5. Beezy

Beezy Member

That sucks. I put a feeder out for a hummingbird that's made it through the past 2 nights. It comes first thing in the morning to feed.

Just got power back a while ago for the first time in Pearland.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So are we still having rolling blackouts or what?

marks0223 likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

I completely understand. Im in central FL. Building codes and good build quality goes a long ways. Homes are about 2/3 the value in Texas. A solid 4/2 starts out 350k here. You can buy mega houses for 350k in Texas. Im really impressed with the efficiency of my house...and i've heard contractors complain about the 'over burdening' building code...but it pays off. I would feel completely fine stuck 3 days in a power outage whether its 0 degrees or 100 degrees with my very compact emergency setup.
    Ive seen a few cookie cutter homes in the great sprawl of Texas. Its sad and depressing to see poorly built homes. Texas really needs better regulations and its not going to come cheap.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Stationary blackouts

Andre0087 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Isn’t that the root of the problem, the lack of regulations? You say do what the NE does—doesn’t that include extensive winterization and upkeep of the infrastructure. Things that Texas has neglected partly a result of having its own grid and wanting to maximize profits? Wind turbines do just fine in the north where temperatures are constantly in the negatives. Maybe it’s time to start looking into upgrading our generators and wind turbines to withstand the extremes. Interestingly I saw somewhere that Abbott called out to reform the ERCOT

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

My water went out all of a sudden. Anyone one else. I’m guessing shut off by the city?

11. Space Ghost

There is absolutely regulations. They just need to stop acting like we live in the 60's and energy prices are dirt cheap. Require another 20k for more efficient houses. Battery tech has come a long ways. Its time to start talking about all houses and businesses build with batteries. It wont happen over night, but now is a good time.

jiggyfly, Andre0087 and Amshirvani like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

You can try to fix 20 million homes or you can just fix 680 power plants - something that was recommended many years ago. The state has more than enough power generating capacity - it just needs to work.

13. Mr. Space City

Headed to HEB. Y’all want anything?

[​IMG]

gatsby, STR8Thugg and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Is anybody getting "rolling blackouts"

Im going on 24 hours, and plenty of people have gone longer. Some haven't lost power at all.

At least spread this s**t around if supply is the issue.

Nook likes this.
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Mine hasn't shut off yet but I've lost a lot of water pressure. Not sure if pipes have frozen or city controlling the supply/pressure.

Anyone know what to check for this?

Edit: Checked on nextdoor and found the answer to my low water pressure.

Rodman23 likes this.
  17. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

I know of a few families who left to stay with relatives because of power outages. Came back home to a river running out the door, down the driveway and a ruined kitchen/living room.

18. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Same here. Lower pressure. Keep your cold water on the faucets trickling. Especially on north facing walls/exterior walls/walls under shade all day.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

My water just came back so I guess it was a controlled thing. Neighbors came back same time and his pipes burts. Crazy