1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yes agreed with you regarding a lot of aspects.

However as well as John Wall has played, I still don't think he's tradeable. Westbrook had great stats for us last year on very efficient shooting numbers and we were a 4 seed in the playoffs. And yet all he could fetch us was a hobbled John Wall because of his terrible contract. I can't imagine any franchise in the league would give us anything of quality for a 30+ PG with an injury history who dominates the ball making 40+ million for another 3 years.

HorryForThree likes this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Our playoff run ended badly and with acrimony instead of being a bright spot thanks to Brodie. Westbrook had publicly demanded a trade and was adamant about wanting out immediately. I think it was done for convenience and we got lucky. We also knew Harden was gone so it was not like there were any other contracts out there to really pair him with and get something in return. I think in the offseason MAYBE we can move Wall to the Knicks or Heat. Likewise at the trade deadline next year with two 2nd round picks. I think the Knicks are looking happy to compete and will want Dipo and Wall because they cannot sign stars. Getting Wall, Knicks can negotiate a very favorable extension with him that evens out the impact of his current deal. It will be a win win for both parties. I am think Wall costs us 2 2nds and we would jumping for joy if it happened. It's either that or we are likely eating his contract. If he plays well enough close to form like now and stays healthy then I think he value raises close to that point.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Thanks for the write-up and all the thought that went into the post. Wall doesn't seem like a Thibodeau guy and Wall doesn't seem like a culture fit with the Heat. But Oladipo is very hopeful and well-regarded across the league, however his subpar play means teams won't be giving up much for him. I hope what you described really eventuates though.

luckyman76 likes this.
  4. ilias

ilias Member

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

They gave us a first. If we were truly tearing it down, in a year if Wall is still playing good and Kemba Walker still looks like this, I could see Boston doing the same. If not more. Kemba looks rough out there.

18pbr and D-rock like this.
  6. ilias

ilias Member

I’ll disagree with you here. This is just wishful thinking. You can’t get Harris for Gordon without giving up picks. Gordon is owed $20-22m as a 34-35yo, while Harris’ contract becomes an expiring this summer. We could possibly get Harris + pick for Dipo, but it’s unlikely we can get rid off Gordon’s contract without attaching picks or absorbing bad contracts (which Harris’ isn’t).

W22_STREAK likes this.
  7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Not true. Gordon has one more guaranteed year than Harris does. And despite being 32 and 6 years older, he is having one of his best seasons in many years, and is FAR better than Gary Harris. Denver is looking to win, now. They might be planning on an offer for Bradley Beal in which case they won't want to make a move right now, but I'm just saying, Gary Harris is bad - like genuinely bad. Nobody in the league would want that contract, and while Gordon's contract is an impendiment, he has real value to a contender right now - he's a 6MOY player. For a team such as Portland, who are putting all the cards on the table by already dealing picks and giving massive extension to Lillard and CJ, there will be a market at the deadline.

A team gets to a certain point where they are no longer winning the 'moneyball battle'. The goal isn't being able to say 'hey all of our players outplay their contracts!' and build a team of great value contracts. The goal is to win a championship, and once you get a star like Jokic and semi-star like Murray and you have already tied up your cap space and you're all in, then you're just looking for the best ways to upgrade.

Dankstronaut and D-rock like this.
  8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

The first rounder was very nice I gotta admit that. However that pick is heavily protected, and even that was only included because John Wall hasn't played basketball in 2 years coming off a major injury.

The name Kemba Walker never crossed my mind but I think he's an interesting case. But in either case Danny Ainge the slothball ain't touching anything like Wall or Westbrook.

Just Wall or Westbrook are very ball dominant players and require a team to be built around them, whereas players like Gordon Hayward can fit into any team seamlessly. That alone makes them very hard to move no matter how well they play due to their massive contracts.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Yeah, this is just if the Celtics get desperate a year from now or so. If Kemba keeps falling off looking very unhealthy, nobody is going to want that contract and it will hold them back so much, being able to upgrade would be huge. As much as Brown has improved as a playmaker, they are near the bottom of the league in assists and need a point guard to take over down the stretch and set everything up. Wall isn't a perfect fit, but who else can they get with Kemba's contract.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If the Hawks need a SG and Collins needs a new home, wonder if Hawks and Cleveland might make this work.

https://tradenba.com/trades/7WHFGTpFq

Why Rockets do it: Get expirings and Larry Nance for 2 more years after this one. Also helps us compete this year. We also unload Gordan’s contract.

Why Atlanta does it: Get the shooting guard they need plus pretty good FRP for Collins.

Why Cleveland does it: Get expiring Dipo who they might be able to re-sign if they want and Collins who they would then have bird rights for.

saleem, fattz and D-rock like this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Trade #1: BOS - HOU
    BOS; Tucker (HOU)
    HOU: BOS 2021 SRP+ R. Williams III (BOS)

Trade #2: HOU - DET - ORL - CHI - ATL
    DET: O. Porter (CHI) + Exum (HOU) sheds salary
    CHI: B. Griffin (DET) + Kurucs (HOU) brings in "star" player; Griffin plays SF
    ORL: House (HOU) + HOU 2021 SRP + BOS 2021 SRP
    ATL: House (HOU) + better of DET 2021 FRP (top 10 protected for 2021) + POR 2021 FRP (via HOU) Detroit lowers protections; ATL picks up 2 potential lottery picks
    HOU: Collins (ATL) + Josh Jackson (DET) + Bamba (ORL) + Satoransky (CHI)

Wall - Satoransky - Brown
    Oladipo - Gordon - KPJr.
    Jackson - Tate - Nwaba
    Collins - RW3 - KM2
    Wood - Cousins - Bamba

Could still trade Dipo or save for a S&T in the off-season

fattz and D-rock like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ha

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harris has had 1 good season, 2017.

Boston84 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs would cream their shorts approving this trade.

Hawks not so much IMO.

Rockets are too hungry for FRP so may not do this trade either.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Give me that 1st trade all day.

But 4 team trades for Rockets may be a distant memory now that Morey is with 76ers.

16. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Nets, Rockets, Pacers and Cavs... Harden trade...

17. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

https://tradenba.com/trades/5NTLSsIxY

2 separate trades

Trade 1

Nuggets get: Victor Oladipo, PJ Tucker

Hawks get: Gary Harris, Ben McLemore, Kuruks, Nuggets 2021 FRP, Blazers 2021 FRP via Houston

Houston get: John Collins, Tony Snell, Solomon Hill

Trade 2

Mavericks get: Danuel House, Dante Exum

Rockets get: James Johnson

Rockets get ALL THAT EXPIRING MONIES

Plus have on contract through next year:
    Wall, Wood, Gordon, Tate, KPj, KMj

Starting lineup (when healthy)
    Wall/Jones
    Gordon/Nwaba
    Tate/Brown
    Collins/Johnson
    Wood/Boogie

The main concern here would still be a back up point guard. Maybe in the buyout market (Rivers reunion?)? Between Collins, Wood and Johnson, Boogie should be down to 10-15mins a night.

After the All Star weekend. That team could 100% make the playoffs (not just the play in series) in the West.

fattz and Dankstronaut like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Those were 2 separate trades.

That is why some players were cleared to play earlier than others.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Nance. Drummond helps with rebounds a lot, but he will clog the paint for Wood.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

It will hard to pry Nance from Cavs without taking Drummond.

fattz and saleem like this.