1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Trump Impeachment Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 6, 2021.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus Christ you people are hopeless. There has been no violence or violent speech from the left comparable to what right wingers have done during the entirety of my lifetime. You guys are responsible for 99% of the politically motivated violence and violent rhetoric in this country yet act like you’re the victims somehow.

So I’m going to share a hard truth with you - you are acting exactly like Southerners did after losing the civil war. Never mind that the South started the war and committed far more war crimes, all just so they could own other human beings. You are no better than the original KKK members who terrorized and murdered blacks and white Reconstructionists and then raised statues to honor those evil men.

Having seen what 150 years of tolerating this kind of mythology has done to our country, I have to say that the biggest mistake our country made was not rounding up all those traitors (from the highest officials to the lowest grunt) and giving them a choice - renounce their Southern sympathies and pledge allegiance to the US or be executed immediately. Instead, we’ve allowed their ideological descendants to stand in the way of progress and commit violence in order to deny others the rights they were permitted to regain. Jan 6 was a culmination of our failure to hold this kind of ideology accountable.

If there is another civil war in this country (and I now sadly think there will be in my lifetime), I don’t think the ideological descendants of the Confederates can expect the same kind of mercy. They have been ****ing up our country for years, and those who have been on the receiving end of their violence and hatred are sick of it.

I’m blocking you going forward, mostly for my blood pressure but also because anyone who thinks the left has been violent like the right is a lost cause and not worth my time or energy.

In the meantime, I wish you only the worst.

#1361 subtomic, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dude is so full of Kool-Aid it's no point debating him. There is no defense of Trump or his lying hypocrite party if traitors.

Andre0087, DVauthrin and CometsWin like this.
  3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i actually hit send early - I had a lot more to say about him and his ilk.

4. Major

Major Member

This is nonsense - everytime the Dems have gotten control of government, they implement massive laws that get them booted out of office. Under Clinton, it was the Assault Weapons Ban (and an attempt at HillaryCare). Under Obama, it was Obamacare (and finreg and the stimulus package). They also put all their capital on the line for climate change (in the House) and immigration reform (in the Senate) to have both die later. Each of those are once-in-a-generation legislative accomplishments that took massive risk.

Compare this to the GOP, which never even proposes legislation to fix the things they run on - SS reform, deficit control, immigration, etc. They couldn't even repeal health care reform. All they ever do is noncontroversial "cut taxes!"

The GOP is great at maintaining power by not doing anytyhing. Dems are terrible at maintaining power precisely for the opposite reasons - they get a lot done when they do get power, and the nature of doing something is that it can be demonized and attacked, so you lose power. The fact that there's a crazy left now that will never be happy no matter what is accomplished doesn't change any of that.

Rashmon, mdrowe00, Andre0087 and 4 others like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bill Clinton won re-election and picked up seats in the House after the assault weapons ban and Obama won re-election after Obamacare. I think it's probably a big stretch to say Al Gore lost because of the Assault Weapons ban and Hillary Clinton lost because of Obamacare. Historically the President always loses seats in the mid term elections which is probably as much due to losing the Presidency invigorating the other side than whatever legislative agendas took place.

The GOP does things, they're just stupid things like giving a trillion dollar tax cut when it wasn't needed or starting stupid wars.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm listening to Van der Veen's closing and it's a big steaming pile of whataboutism and moral relativism. He's going to so far as to say that the people who invaded the Capitol thought it was alright because of what had happened over the Summer.

Just to add he also through in a line justifying the clearing of Lafayette Park. I'm guessing that was thrown in specifically for Trump.

7. Major

Major Member

Uhh, this isn't remotely true. The Dems lost the House for the first time in 40+ years in one of the biggest red waves in history in 1994 due to the assault weapons ban. Many lawmakers openly said that it was going to be political suicide when they took the vote but knew they had to do it. That was the end of any significant liberal policy for the remainder of Clinton's term. It was literally known as the Republican Revolution.

1994 and 2010 were the two biggest swings in the House in modern American history. It wasn't just "the President always loses seats so its normal". The entire 2010 election was run on Obamacare - it was completely about one piece of legislation.

This shows a serious lack of knowledge of basic political history.

#1367 Major, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Van der Veen is claiming that the Democrats fabricating evidence.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This just points to the ineptness of democrats like i was saying. Dems implement laws but don't go far enough to help people because they try to appease trash republicans. obamacare didnt go far enough and the stimulus package helped wall street.

people resent dems for this blatant disregard for their voters interests, dems dont go vote so then republicans get back in power, then the cycle repeats.

45 days since dems said they were going to give $2000 checks that have now been scaled down to $1400 and now trying to means test the roll out.

impeachment no witnesses.

this stuff will pile up and once again people will become disillusioned with this process.

dems love to fumble the bag.

the cycle will repeat.

Reeko likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If the jury is full of people that are just as guilty, I don't expect a good result, come on DOJ investigate.

DD

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Bill Cassidy and Susan Collins have both voted guilty.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Crap, I go get my second vaccine, come home and it's over.

17 GOP 'ers were never going to convict anyway.... let's get on with the relief bill and DO SOMETHING!

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

No surprise Mitch voted not guilty.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

thats because they also have to govern and the payoff of an extended trial is almost nothing in return... but also potentially backfire. I don’t like it a single bit but I understand the calculation.

I might be wrong here with my assumption, but couldn’t McCarthy (and others) refuse to testify claiming executive privilege or whatever that was they claimed last time that prevented any 1st person account?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's it there aren't enough to convict..

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

57-43 Guilty 7 Republicans including Pat Toomey voting to convict..

Amiga likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Higher than I expected.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Trump had 45 cowardly votes on the way in and his lawyers were so bad he ended with 43.

Only the best people.

I thought the witnesses thing was a missed chance but it's hard to see doing better than 57 votes, not because Trump is not a traitorous criminal, but because the Authoritarian Coward party are such rank ass b****es.

DVauthrin likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member