1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Read that the Russian vaccine is actually on par with the US/Euro vaccines. The Chinese vaccine not so much.

cheke64 likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Here is a good place to see the total and 7-day avg daily vaccination tracker (1st dose, 2nd dose, distributed, administered). Note that administered is now above distributed.

Path to Herd Immunity - COVID-19 Vaccine Projections | COVID-19 Projections Using Machine Learning (covid19-projections.com)

robbie380 likes this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

Is Johnson and Johnson double dicking?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We are quite fortunate that the Trump admin decided to completely pull the brakes on the AstraZeneca vaccine after the questionable data. It was expected to be the backbone of our vaccine portfolio as well. They certainly didn’t know the future of these new variants but it has worked out for the best. I was completely wrong about thinking that we needed to push this vaccine through. It isn’t completely worthless but the longer term value of it is rapidly dropping.

We are lucky we have been using the more robust Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and it also looks like the Novavax one will be another excellent vaccine coming out soon. It has been proven to be effective against the South African variant.

Cokebabies likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Back in Dec, right after UK authorized the vaccine, Slaoui (head of OWS) said US timeline for a GO on this vaccine has moved back at least 2M because of lack of good data. A month before that, the private sector already sounded the alarm.

AstraZeneca, Oxford defend vaccine trials after questions raised in US (cnbc.com)

Particularly harsh criticism came from U.S.-based health care and biotech investment bank SVB Leerink, whose analysts wrote Monday: “We believe that this product will never be licensed in the U.S.”

“This belief is based on the design of the company’s pivotal trials which does not appear to match the FDA’s requirements for representation of minorities, severe cases, previously infected individuals and elderly and other increase risk populations,” the analysis said.

robbie380 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Looks like 10% of the US now has at least 1 dose and it looks like 1.5 million vaccinations per day is our new baseline. Overall, things progressing well. Novavax is still saying they will produce 2 billion doses in 2021 and we have an agreement for 100 million already in place. Approval of that vaccine should happen relatively quickly.

Andre0087 likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm on a list. I will have to get out of my car and wait in a line. Supposedly, the wait should be around 30 minutes.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Another 3000 people died from Covid today in the USA.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was looking at more of the data on the CDC site and from what I can guestimate is that about 38% of the population over 75 has got at least 1 shot and about 22% of people ages 65-74 have at least 1 shot. Both of those percentages could be a few points higher because we don't have age data for about 8% of vaccinations. Over 65 comprises 85% of deaths and I believe 2/3rds of hospitalizations.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I got my shot at Texas Motor Speedway with Denton County. They were processing hundreds at a time probably without having to get out of the car. I think I was there maybe 30-40 minutes and 15 of that was just waiting there parked to make sure I was ok after the shot.

MadMax and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Fun fact. Kid kept testing positive for 1 month until they suggested he rinsed his sinuses with saline.

Astrodome and TexasTofu like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Aren't we all.

15. Buck Turgidson

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Oh yeah?

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen studies that indicate heavy duty plastic masks completely covering the mouth and nose are 100% effective in preventing covid but there may be other side effects...

ico4498 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The vaccine distribution on the Pearland/South Belt side of town has been piss poor. My 83 year old mother still hasn't been able to get a vaccine anywhere near her home. Supposedly Memorial Hermann Hospital was emailing patients for vaccine availability there but she hasn't heard squat. Those over 80 aren't getting the priority they should in my eyes. Very discouraged by this Texas vaccine rollout in serving those most at risk.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree. I had to hit the websites of all these pharmacies, stores, and hospitals frequently throughout the day to finally get scheduled. I was able to take my mom to get her a shot yesterday but the set up was a disaster, very disorganized. We were in and out within a half hour though so I was pleased with that.