1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tilly got scared of the 5M team option?

Regardless, JA is still worth FRP at trade deadline.

Tilly and Stone are such great businessman.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Allen as progressed nicely and Hayes isn’t even close to the player Allen is. He’s glued to the bench in NO bc he sucks

Der Rabbi and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nets did not want to give JA up and resisted until Stone gave them an ultimatum.

JA was in Nets future plans. The team defense suffered precipitously after the Harden trade.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I really think the Rockets should have revisited the Twin Towers theme
    I think the ideal that it could not work in the modern NBA is false
    Esp since both Allen and Wall are quick and Athletic
    Even if guards get around them their length could correct the issue

On the other end Guards and shorties could not keep up

I think trading him was short sighted.
    Pay him or Pay someone else. .. .
    I'd rather pay him than Dipo

Rocket River

abaker28 and D-rock like this.
  5. markelliott1997

Well we can all agree it doesn’t make sense to go into the tax where we currently stand, right?

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If they were that into him, they wouldn't have went and got Deandre Jordan for 4/40 mil... They signed Jordan to take his minutes... Unfortunately it's looks stupid in hindsight because Now they need someone to take Jordan's minutes.. But I wouldnt say they regret trading JA away whatsoever... Just looks bad because Deandre is bad...

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think you are missing the point I was making.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Agreed.. Allen is far better than Hayes... But that doesn't mean he's the potential building block to this team as some in here has alluded to... He's decent.. We'd have similar issues if he were here IMO

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

It didn't make sense apparently, when he inherited a 65 win title contender either with an mvp in his prime. go figure

Der Rabbi and psaman17 like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

who said hes a potential building block. nobody has. He'd be a rental just like dipo. he's a rotational player for the rockets that desperately needs actual bigs. And you don't settle for a bucks late trash pick when you can get something better with him playing down the line

The issue of having 0 bigs outside of wood wouldn't be here

javal_lon likes this.
  11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wasn't quoting you nor the folks talking about using him as a trading tool.... Im speaking of the few folks that have mentioned ,whether here or other threads, that we needed JA for this team to excel...

12. HardenVolumeOne

Saw Jarrett Allen trending on Twitter

this guys advanced stats are incredible since he has been on the cavs

and look at his stat line tonight

vator and D-rock like this.
  13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I think this was simply not the best place for him to land, and Stone knew it. Even if you love his game, it’s not what Silas has put together and he doesn’t fit. So you either trade him right away or later. I think they took the base price of a 1st round pick, but he’s worth more to other teams who don’t need their big to hit 3s and don’t already have a potential star like Wood.

Could/Should they have kept him and traded him for more? Maybe, but again, he would’ve been forced into an offense he can’t play in short-term or would’ve been told to sit while he was rerouted to a new team. Probably the best move was to get guaranteed value without drawing it out since he wasn’t the goal of the trade, the picks were.

Frank Drebin, Corrosion and JayGoogle like this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The JA thing...

People realize the Rockets basically traded him and super likely shopped him around? That's why it was a 3 team deal to see who wanted a JA rental and the Cavs raised their hand and said they would. Maybe they are going to match whatever he's offered, it seems like they see him as a long term piece. The Rockets simply did not, likely because they have Cristian Wood.

The thing is, it being a three team deal, we know it is super super likely the Rockets tested the market for his value and that's what he got. You don't get much for a rental. I mean, even if the rental is an elite top 10 player like Kawhi the value is always lesser because of the risks involved. Kawhi's case, that he could bolt and he did...and JA's case is that he might not be worth the deal he's getting.

Could we use him now, sure! It's odd how the anti-tankers want him now, seems he'd be anti-tank......but yeah, we could! But, were we going to pay him what he wanted? I sure hope not. JA is like the guy you acquire to add to your already established core.

He'll be a RFA, it's not a team option, so any team that wants him can do the old poison pill Morey trick and Cleveland will have to make a decision if he's worth the contract.

There WAS a team option but that period has passed...

So he's a RFA at the end of this season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Once again this was stupid too, not to hang onto him. Add it to the never ending list of the dumbass decisions

D-rock likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What’s the Cavs record since Allen has been there?

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

for all we know KPJ was a little wink wink deal after.

I love Allen but the reason he isn't here is because of fit, not salary. Silas wants 5 out and Stone seems willing to give it to him.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I wondered about this as well, but it seems more as though we were the only team willing to take him on mid-season. I could be wrong, but with Silas and JB saying they had a heart-to-heart discussion about him before the trade, that tells me that Silas actually approved the move. If it had been a wink-wink type of deal, I don't think the coaches would've even needed to have a character issue discussion. I don't think they'd planned anything when the "locker issue" took place.

With that said, it's still very possible that the Rockets asked for KPJ in the Allen trade, and after being told no, they basically said "if things don't get better, and you're ever going to release him, handshake that we have first priority" I honestly like to think so, lol.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone is a genius.

Only Wilt, Dwight and Mutombo have had perfect double double games.

That's it.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That’s the biggest bunch of horses$&@ I have ever seen written in a paragraph. He was the difference maker in the trade and many of us knew it (and posted it) immediately. In hindsight, Stone made a decision that we’ll regret the next ten years. Trust me, once LeVert returns that will be regret #2. Love the moves Stone had previously made, but unfortunately he lost me and potentially his job on these most recent screw ups.