1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most people aren't informed about how money, in general, works, so it's no biggie. We just use money. Even what goes on in banks, cd's, trading stocks, etc. we just "do it" without understanding what goes on behind the scenes.

Can't wait to see what company/technology that will be. :D Seriously, temper wanting that with trying to figure out which governments around the world would really want to lose control of "their" currency. The next 5-10 years are going to be really interesting.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Cardano is a seriously awesome project and woe unto anyone who dismisses it out of hand as merely a "wanna be Ethereum".

For starters, it was created by one of Ethereum's founders to be everything Ethereum isn't. Even Ethereum doesn't want to be Ethereum, hence the 2.0 business, and Cardano is already farther along than ETH 2.0

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Feel free to pass along any information. I am not sure what cardano is even suppose to do.

4. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Not exactly a short video but here is the founder going through the key ideas on a whiteboard. This guy is only 33 and is absolutely one of the smartest horses in the race.

This video is a bit old (from 2017) but they are well on their way to doing everything he mentions here. Cardano's network and technology is being built in stages. Staking is already live and functional.

In the next few weeks, the Smart Contract functionality is supposed to be released.

Here is the roadmap for the project, and they're just about done with step 3.
    https://roadmap.cardano.org/en/

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cardano for life. :D

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All right, I'm late on this.

What's the best platform to buy it?

7. Space Ghost

If you want to get into the **** coins, Binance.us or Bittrex. Winklevoss twins own Gemini and coinbase is well established.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Tried using binance but apparently they don’t support transactions in the US (friend told me they did at one point).

Coinbase is the main one but so limited

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you guys are going to try Kraken, sign up via my referral link and I will split the referral, which is 20% of trades in the first 180 days. Send me a PM and we can make sure to properly track it.

https://r.kraken.com/k7n0L

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

Yes that is the real roadblock in crypto transactions. what are govt's going to do to control currency. frankly technology is getting to a point they can't control it. mostly because most government's are reactive not proactive and their reaction is years behind events; even further behind in legislation of technology.

after brief research i am most interested in eth2.0 and cardano. so much to learn

With such a huge disruption/change of the financial system; could crypto even the playing field for the masses and bring financial disparity closer?

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So we should release the kraken?

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Blockchain/crypto isn't just financial. Blockchain is being used for other things other than typical "banking" purposes. But if you're looking at it from just a financial perspective, there have been companies working on blockchain initiatives for years like JPM's JPM Coin, IBM's Hyperledger, Spotify bought one a while back (can't remember the name), various blockchain "consortiums" that come and go, etc. They all use them for their specific purposes and have their own teams or teams-of-companies. Everybody talks about Elon being "picking" bitcoin, but our boy Fertitta's been accepting BTC for payment on your favorite Bugatti for a few years now. :D

The reason you hear about Ethereum and Bitcoin the most is because they were the first ones and you'll find them on every crypto exchange available to trade. Bitcoin really can't be used in its current form for anything high-throughput because it's too damn slow in terms of transactional speed, so there are many financial purposes that it just doesn't fit. In a sense, old crypto like Ethereum and Bitcoin are playing catch-up to next-gen cryptos to make up for their deficiencies now. In another sense, newer crypto is being created for specific purposes that solve problems you maybe didn't even know you had.

As for governments controlling currency and tech, sure they can -- whether through direct or indirect measures. The question is how far will it set them back in the long-run, and there are also advantages of using blockchain for some countries that don't present the same benefits on the surface for other countries. BTW, if you're a fan of crypto in everyday use, you should be a fan of the appointments of people like Janet Yellen, Gary Gensler, etc. to the current government. One of the hindrances of the US government is that it is/was full of people that can't even process some of the "new" stuff being thrown at them, but hopefully with some of the newer blood in there, we'll have committees and advisors who know what questions to ask to solve problems and to answer other questions.

I just want a digital currency and possibly cool useful purposes like product tracking/tracing. I really don't care about "sticking it to the man" or trying to run a dope ring behind the government's back, or many of the other "uses", many of which are fantasies for the time-being, imo. Other people want crypto to succeed for other reasons, and that's cool, too.

Yung-T and Zen Tabak like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I lost my transaction code for my VET. It was a fair chunk of change. It's starting to rebound from when I lost a ton of money from it.

No way to get access to it back, eh?

14. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Hard to consider everything other than Bitcoin a **** coin when BTC only gets a paltry 7 transactions per second, massive energy waste from mining and its now-archaic Proof of Work consensus mechanism, inability to improve its tech over time, miner politics, etc.

If everything else is a **** coin, the default assumption is that 'early mover advantage' is the ONLY thing that matters. And as Yahoo, Lycos, Geocities, Myspace, etc can tell you from experience, that is certainly not the case.

15. Major

Major Member

The mistake people are making with coins that are "useful" is the same one they were making 3 years ago - usefulness doesn't necessarily drive value. A project can be really useful and growing, but the coin doesn't need to be worth anything for it to work. Think of the US Dollar. If more people start transacting in it, it doesn't drive value up. Sure, more people need it to buy things. But more sellers also have them to get rid of. Net, it just means they circulate more but it doesn't change net-demand or valuation.

Increasing valuation requires that demand exceeds supply - people have to want to simply store it. That's why something like DOGE can retain value. At this point, that comes from ease-to-purchase, ease-to-store, and credibility as much as anything else. Gold the US Dollar retain value because people want to hold them because they trust that 1, 5, 50 years down the road, they will still be reliable. Not so much with something like the Venezuelan Bolivar.

Invisible Fan, saitou and Space Ghost like this.
  16. Space Ghost

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

18. Space Ghost

Im not sure how i feel about it.
    1% returns in CRO
    2% returns for appx $360 of CRO staked
    3% returns for $3600 CRO staked

I really dont care about the other rewards like free Spotify and Netflix. I do like it is an actual exchange.

This is basically the beginning of mainstream adoption of DeFi.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I dumped all of my **** coins like VET to BTC when it was at $8000

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Xerobull

For the obsidian card, with the best rewards, you're looking at $360k in CRO.