1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not really. Primaries will produce a single candidate regardless.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wonder how much was driven by a desire for bipartisanship (especially knowing his replacement is anti-bipartisan), or how much was driven by his dislike of trump and trumpism?

Ohio's U.S. Sen. Rob Portman won't run for re-election; Republican cites 'partisan gridlock'
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...senator-wont-run-re-election-2022/6696235002/

3. NewRoxFan

The five questions that will shape the 2022 Senate map
    The biggest unknown for the 2022 landscape: Will mainstream Republicans win nominations in key races, or will Trumpians prevail?
    https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/712189?unlock=PY2JUR8L89826NKV

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fetterman is running in PA in 2022. He's going to be a very strong candidate.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Early look at senate races... Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball is the source.

No Worries likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I predict 2022 is going to be as chaotic as the last two election years. The map looks good for Democrats but a lot depends on how Biden performsI do think there is a possibility of the Republicans retaking the House and the Senate. . If COVID is still with us then I think it will bode very badly for the Democrats.

I think a lot will depend on turnout. If turnout is low because of poor performance by the Biden Administration or just apathy that will give Republicans a good chance. The other big wild cards are how much is the GOP going to be divided between Trumpists and those who aren't enamored with Trump. For that matter there is also the possibility of a wide split in the Democrats between progressives and moderates that could weaken the party.

Ziggy likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Which means he thinks he’ll be speaker of the house. Kevin McCarthy is just too weak now on either side of his party to get voted in if they win. If you watch any hearings it’s obvious too that the vast majority of their party defer to him 99% of the time to do their bidding. Gym Jordan with real power is a scary proposition for the country.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Democrats will have a big fundraising advantage going into the Midterms. Republicans will likely spend resources in primary fights between Trumpists and Non Trumpists which will sap resources going into general elections.

That said campaign money isn't anywhere a determinate. If it were we would have Senators Amy McGrath and Jamie Harrison.

joshuaao, B-Bob and Major like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

I think turnout is the only thing that matters in this election. 2020 brought out like 10 million new voters on EACH side of the spectrum. If one party keeps a chunk of those and the other party even just goes to "normal" turnout, 2022 will be a blowout - and it could work either way. Dems could have activated new long-term voters that never want Trump to happen again (like 2018). Or the GOP could have brought to life a new army of Trumpanzees. Or neither. Or both (like 2020). I don't think the individual issues are going to matter at all. It's going to come down to people's 2nd impressions of Biden after seeing him in charge (the 1st impression was just anyone-but-Trump), and what Trump does to the GOP.

joshuaao, rocketsjudoka and jiggyfly like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I largely agree except that if COVID-19 is still an issue by election time 2022it will be a major drag on the Democrats. If we're seeing still thousands dying a day along with restrictions that have kept us from returning back to 2019 lifestyle will be a big problem for the party in power. Whether fair or not, such as if COVID-19 keeps on mutating or there is enough anti-vaxx sentiment keeping us from getting to herd immunity, Biden and the Democrats will take the blame.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fetterman officially announced that he's running for PA senate in 2022. He's raking in the donations too.

https://johnfetterman.com/

16. dmoneybangbang

Dems need to create a bunch of jobs with their stimulus and not repeat the 2010 mid term mistake.

glynch likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

The right wing media machine is going to be talking about Biden's job killing regulations and initiatives plus caravans heading towards the border. Dems better have an answer and not lose the narrative again.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah. The right wing media machine doesn't make any money on regulatory overreach in 2021 - it's satanic cults, violent racial terrorism campaigns and jewish space lasers.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Can't die if the paperwork is filed

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Do you really think there is a possibility that 1000’s will still be dying every day from Covid late 2022. I think the chances of that are extremely small.