1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood's injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_ph, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I hear you. Hitting the boards is another vulnerable spot...
    And the ole iced water....keeping it in there before it became numb...Aargh..hadn't thought about THAT in a long time.

Quick story on one of these -

My friends and I were playing at Post Oak YMCA day of the UH/Maryland game in the Summit which we were going to that night. I broke my left ankle just the way I described...It was a bad one...swollen up big as a baseball. Couldn't really walk on it...massive pain.
    Under normal circumstances I would have gone straight to the ER. But seeing as this was PSJ vs. Len Bias & Co in the Tourney there was no way I was going to miss that.
    I went home, took a shower and made the game. Somehow, I hobbled around the Summit...and we were in the nosebleeds, so there was a lot of vertical work. I was on enough painkillers to take down a horse, but still in agony. It was well worth it though. Lefty trying to slow it down as that was their only chance to stay close. All of us chanting " BORING, BORING"... I'm proud to be able to say now that I saw the great Len Bias play in person and the Coogs win by 4 that night.
    Anyway, I went to my orthopedic DR. in Scurlock the next day. He shook his head and laughed as I was casted up again. We talked about the game and PSJ the whole time. "At least you have your priorities in order" : )

ROXTXIA, King1, Verbal Christ and 3 others like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Don't worry folks.

If his ankle isn't ****ed up already, Keith Jones will make sure it is.

3. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember watching that game on TV. I remember seeing and thought it was odd that Lefty walked off the court at halftime with his left arm raised with fist in the air and his team was down by 2 (26-24). Like it was some kind of moral victory with the slow down strategy. I think UH ended up winning by 10, 60-50.

Watching Lefty's pain probably made your pain worth it.

Plowman likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Go Coogs!
    Now that’s a fan, folks. :cool:

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Great stuff! Len Bias was the man. Awesome you got to see him in person.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

@D-rock is a solid dude. He’ll definitely come after you though lol.

7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Probably not fractured, but very severe. I've had the same injury multiple times. He's out at least 2 months.

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Definitely looks like a grade 2 ankle sprain, at least. Just pray it isn’t a grade 3.

When is this damn MRI? No news yet?

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's right. I had forgotten about the fist at the half!
    Whatever the final score, it wasn't that close...
    It definitely was all worth it.
    I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear as I type..
    The best memories.. .

Verbal Christ and Houston Native like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He made me despise A Gordon.:eek:

11. conquistador#11

Book him a flight to Germany

dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

No official mri update yet?

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm something of a puss when it comes to pain, but if my ankle is broken, I ain't walking on it.

My brother-in-law blew out his right Achilles. Drove (driving foot) his kids to see the boat show at the Astro Hall or whatever. Dude be crazy.

He's dead, let's face it. Have to notify next of kin first.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Knowing the Rockets, we will never know the severity of the ankle sprain he will just be "out indefinitely" until he comes back which could either be in weeks or months.

D-rock, BossHogg713 and pippendagimp like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wall is certainly going to get better in the second half of the season. Several reasons.

1) He's coming back from a major injury and a lot of rest (hence, rust). He's not the same as he used to be, but his early season performance is impressive in terms of recovery.

2) Wall has only ever played for one team, a bunch of horrible coaches, horrible GM's and lots of losing. It's going to take him some time to adjust, and the pandemic doesn't help chemistry at all. He has to unlearn some bad habits, I hope Silas can encourage that. The guys don't see each other enough, and I bet that applies to the coach too. Wall's going to get better at this, even if you don't believe he'll ever be great at it. His defense has been surprisingly mediocre.

3) Silas is also learning. I think he will continue to receive data and see the missed opportunities with Wood. The more consistent he is, the more they'll give him the ball. He's been excellent so far. Way outperforming his contract. Plus defender, lanky 6'10, can shoot, can score inside. All he needs to learn is to use his body to get FT's and the other team in foul trouble. He goes to the line almost 4 times a game. He needs to just about double that. It will really take him into the upper tier.

4) There's no core. These guys have never played together. There's no practice time. It's not a good season to need chemistry, but it will get better.

Oladipo same. He's finding his spots, but he is sluggish. Will be better in the second half, and Cousins will be an excellent 7th man.

Wall and 2 picks might net a good player in a year if he develops under Silas. Right now, too many stupid shots, too worried about looking good.

16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Surprise, surprise: the shady medical staff still doesn't have any updates on Christian Wood.

BHannes2BHonest and hakeem94 like this.
  17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I'd be looking for a backup center on the market right now if I'm the GM....

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

You'll love him soon enough. :D

Or despise him even more.

jiggyfly, DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Boogie is not even an excellent 10th man right now. :D

DeBeards and Mathloom like this.
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Boogie is either awesome or terrible. Nothing in between, it seems. That could also apply to Oladipo, Gordon, and House, unfortunately.