1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oladipo has had 1 and a half years of all nba play and he is not getting younger and you laid out the reason he should be paid anywhere near what Murray is getting they both should not.

2. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Yup. That was short lived.

DCHAMP, Shark44, Mr Woods and 2 others like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Heat is imploding as we speak. The entire season they excused their bad play due to Butler being out but now that he's back they're still free falling in the easy East.

Stone is really a genius if he predicted this ahead of time because he went and got the only asset available that Miami will desperately want in Oladipo and we also have Tucker on top of that. They want Tucker badly too because they have a hole at the 4 after letting Crowder walk to try to get Giannis (lol).

I can see Stone making Miami sell the farm to trade for Oladipo.

Yes, I know Dipo is a FA in the off-season but Miami technically can't offer him a max contract because of how their salary currently works. So for Dipo to play there, he'll have to take a discount and seeing how their record will be horrible this year if they don't make a panic trade, it might be more likely Dipo re-signs with us.

4. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Not to mention Nuggets could also be a bidder with Gary Harris/Bol Bol/Picks in the play thus making Heat sweating out there. Eventually they might get no Harden, no Beal and no Dipo. Would be quite comical to say the least.

D-rock likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Plot twist, we traded for Dipo to increase Eric Gordon's value while lowering Dipo's contract, thus making Gordon a trade asset now and Dipo a trade asset on his next contract with us

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because Dipo is encouraged and empowered to do so by Silas.

vator likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

Exactly, but they absolutely need to do this though for a few reasons. They have to turn him loose in order to see what he really has. If we are really considering signing him, we need to know if he is capable of carrying us on any given night. So far he doesn't seem like he can. He is more of a complementary piece rather than a focal point that you can build an offense around. You need to see what is he really capable of doing without limitation, free reign to operate within the offense, and the ultimate green light.

Also, let him stat pad. If we opt to make him available on the trade market, propping his numbers up makes him a much more attractive target to teams needing a little extra for a title run.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stat padding inefficiently will not make him more valuable.

Every NBA team understands analytics now.

Silas needs to put him in best position to succeed, Dipo is actually efficient at C&S. Dipo is also a better passer than he is given credit for, when he is willing.

Silas should reign in Dipo's inefficient iso's and volume shooting for the benefit of both team success as well as to increase Dipo's value.

This will elevate his value organically IMO.

Shark44, BallaDoc and vator like this.
  9. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

He’s obviously been chucking to stat pad. He wants to get to a contender and/or get PAID. No reason to keep him long term with that quad that could go at any minute. I bet he’d take a discount to play with Miami and that would lead hopefully to Herro. Oladipo and picks would be a dream for Lavine. Again a smart move by Stone to get us in this situation with options.

10. Brown Juice

Brown Juice Member

He is a better singer than he is a basketball player at this stage of his career.

11. vator

I know. He isn't helping his case at all. I was looking at numbers and he is one of the most inefficient players on the whole team at the moment. Ideally, he could showcase to teams that he is worth the kind of contract and role he is seeking. I don't think he is currently doing that, but you have to hope that he's in a slump and can turn it around. He's not only hurting himself money wise whether it be from us or some other team, but he's also hurting his trade value.

I think you have to let him play through it though. It should be clear to everybody at this point that he isn't a franchise player, but now you need to find out if he can be at his best, a legit 2nd banana. I think he is at best the 3rd best player on a contending team, but that is what a team like Philly or Miami needs him to be with the ability to show that he can be a number 2 on some nights.

At some point, if he continues to fail, they should definitely put some constraints on his role. He is not good at finishing through contact and he is not good at pull up 3 pointers. More catch and shoot is the remedy for that and he really needs to eliminate pull ups completely from his game, but he won't. At least minimize them.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Stone trying to get Oladipo to play harder to increase his value lol

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sorry Dipo, but not seeing max player.

The FG% and TOV% get ugly if having to carry team without Wall or Wood.

Supports eye test, Dipo is a poor finisher.

vator likes this.
  14. vator

This seems to indicate like we were saying, he is very dependent on the guys around him to open things up for him. He is not a franchise player, but if you need him to be your 3rd best player and at times slide into that 2nd best player role for spurts here and there, he is adequate and more suited to that. I honestly don't think as presently constructed, paying a 3rd banana max money is the right move. For a win-now team maybe this is a good value, but I'll go on record that as currently constructed, I wouldn't do it this if I'm the Rockets. If your roster is pretty set and you think he is potentially a piece that puts you over the top, this makes a lot of sense. He is a good player and he is available. I think he makes a lot of sense for Philly and Milwaukee, and Miami just off the top of my head.

D-rock likes this.
  15. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Mfker loses one game and wants to leave.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm seeing it. ;)

Better handle
    Better passing
    Better defense
    Better rebounding
    Worse shooting

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dipo does not want to sit on B2B's.

Will this be a sticking point with him.and Silas?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Defense is not better and rebounding is not much better his handle and passing does not overcome the worse shooting IMO.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody is gonna sell the farm for Dipo and Miami will still have better players than the Rockets.

Are you advocating he resigns with us for the max?