1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

He's too dumb to ever realize just how bad he's screwed it up. Hee haw Cal = Special Jack

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think it's about winning, or at least not right away. I think it's about wanting to be able to influence the culture of the team, which he believes would result in winning.

It's about wanting to be on a team with a real front office and an owner that is not trying to run a business other than football.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Which is still disingenuous. He signed that big contract that Jack, Cal and OB gave him.
    He was fine with their “business” then.

Bobbythegreat and JayZ750 like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah

But that’s why some of us are confused.

he had influence ... pre-extension... and to say that influence was used poorly is an understatement of massive proportions.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

what influence was that? Just curious and how was it used poorly?

to everyone who is holding this extension over Watsons head - would you all have preferred him NOT to have signed it? You do know that it makes him a MORE valuable asset while under contract right?

NotInMyHouse and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Talk to Cowboy fans about Jerry.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It makes no difference if he signed it or not given that he lacks the character to fulfil his obligations when he makes a long term commitment like that. Surely any team who would trade for him knows that as well. A contract means nothing to this guy, he does whatever the hell he wants whenever the hell he wants to and throwing teammates, fans, or the team under the bus to get his way means nothing to him. His word means nothing to him.

And yet we still have people here on their knees for him.....I just don't get it, and honestly I'm glad I'll never get it.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. JayZ750

the same influence he has now, he had then. probably even more, since he hadn't signed his extension yet.

And he basically said BOB was the greatest, over and over.

But yeah, absolutely, rather have him locked up and tradeable then not signing... but the point is if he's going to use his influence now, it should be noted, is it about winning? no, he seems like he'll go anywhere. Is it about culture? No, the culture is the same as it was 6 months ago. Is it about not getting his guy? Maybe, but when he backed the guy that was principally responsible for the current disaster.

These things should just be pointed out is all...

RockFanFirst likes this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Contrary to what you may believe contracts are literally designed to be broken. That’s why there are damages for breach instead of the courts obligating people to fulfill their contracts. Deshaun simply understands the leverage that he has and that most of us will never have against a billionaire.

UTSA2step likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Deshauns entire career is at the mercy of the Texans at this point. He has leverage, but not much.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Absolutely.

Pointing out the team blunders in the same period and applying that context to the situation is what everyone is trying to do. Somehow the team is getting a pass and the player is getting the blame.

12. JayZ750

How is the team getting a pass?

In the court of public opinion, most people are on DW's side here. Even for those of us like me or @Bobbythegreat no one in their right mind thinks the Texans are a well run organization.

There's lots of poorly run organizations. The Cowboys haven't been run well in decades. The Packers, who are usually ran ok, took a QB in the first round last year when they still had Rodgers kind of still in his prime

And those might be some of your better run teams in the league.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So the Texans are a joke, but the players who dont have any respect for the owner/GM/Coach/Chaplain should just suck it up since they are being paid. About right?

edit: hopefully you wont go as far as creating a scenario where Watson will attack his partner just to get out of here. Some guys have taste and quality in their posts, some guys do not.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did anybody suspect that Easterby would move this far up... and influence all the decisions... back then?

It was still "laughed" at as of 3 months ago when everybody swore he would have nothing to do with any of the GM/Coaching hires.

joshuaao and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If I’m not mistaken, Jack was credited with contract negotiations. That alone should have been a red flag. But it also means Deshaun knew that when he signed.

Bobbythegreat and BMoney like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Of course not .. the team said time and time again that "Jack Easterby will not be involved in personnel decisions" only to lie through their teeth and contradict everything they've said about him

Jack Easterby has complete control of the Houston Texans - that is the truth.

joshuaao, Reeko, BMoney and 1 other person like this.
  17. JayZ750

again, before vs. after. He was shut up before... or more specifically, he was saying the EXACT OPPOSITE of how he feels now. He helped create the mess that is right now.

Good thoughts below. I don't Marcellus, or certainly not I, are against DW having leverage or a say.

But honestly I'm exhausted of these passive aggressive social media/twitter driven campaigns.

How can you simultaneously complain about not being included in a process, while also not answering your phone or directly talking solely to ownership about the situation.

"Hey, I want to be included!!!" ... but im also going to go on twitter and start subtly and passive aggressively dumping on the organization.

Bearing in mind Cal seems like an idiot whose feelings might get hurt, as a TEXANS fan, and not a player only fan, this makes me even angrier. Now Cal is going to do something dumb in this trade, and react to future player issues dumbly.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I get it.

You should steer clear of the latest WAPO article on our beloved Watson then - its a doozy!

19. Xopher

Xopher Member

We don't know what Watson was told prior to signing the contract. What if he was told Jack was not going to part of day to day operations? What if he was told he would have some input? Then he was told he would have input to the new GM.He never expected to have his GM choice hired, but he was told he would have input. Then he had none. Then Call hires a search firm for candidates. He picks one. Then Easterbay does an end around, Cal ignores the search firm, and hires one of Easterby's buddies. Yeah I'd be pissed if I were Watson to. It isn't as if Cal told him he would have no input and then Watson cried and wanted to be traded. Cal told him he would have input as a representative of the PLAYERS. Cal reneged. Watson may have seen the red flags before signing the contract, but those concerns may have been alleviated. The GM fiasco flared them right back up.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I think that Bill O'Brien was so damn crappy at his job(s) for so long that (for the general public at least) it masked an even bigger problem with a fanatic team chaplain completely brainwashing and influencing the owner to the detriment of the team and players.

Major, cmoak1982 and conquistador#11 like this.