1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’ll take the first rounder instead of Allen

Htown Stros likes this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

somebody posted jarrett allen's statline and you somehow took that as a harden fan bumping this thread to troll. You dont have to be a harden fan to realize that the rockets should have gotten oladpio and jarrett allen in that harden deal.

vator, MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

How do you feel about targeted asset attacks like GSW with that top 3 protected pick? What value do they place on Wiggins if they could get out of it to help with LT? What teams might overpay for our assets for a playoff run in regards to Tucker and Gordon? I think Gordon will be a positive asset to a desperate playoff team.

D-rock likes this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I was just reading through the thread. It’s a bunch of complaining about not having a guy who doesn’t warrant that much attention.

roslolian likes this.
  5. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I wish we kept Allen over a late first and keep one of if not both of oladipo and Allen with Tillman going public

I think Allen and wood would play well together and staggered

that being said...past is past, we did what we did and I love watching our team...hopefully all our draft capital can be used in a big trade

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I argued this nonstop on day of the trade. It was a stupid move for a weak FRP.

JA could easily have been flipped at deadline for an unprotected FRP and helped us win games until then.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yep and Prince would easily be our best SF. We finally got a guy over 6'6" and we traded him immediately.... smh..

pippendagimp and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yep.

Just didn't argue as vehemently for Prince because of the larger longer and non-expiring salary attached.

JA was only 3M expiring.

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Honestly I don't even know... the entire situation just seems weird to me. I still can't even believe we are on a 6 game winning streak right now.

Seriously... nothing makes sense to me.

.............. and I love it.

Jayzers_100, D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He would have walked anyway. Don't think Onwership wanted to pony up money for him.

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. Spooner

Spooner Member

To add to that, Miami lost tonight AGAIN. 7-13 on the year. If the draft started today, we would retain our own first round pick and absolve our 2021 pick swap. I was dreading having to give up a top 10 pick to OKC but the way things are looking whether its Miami's or our own, we will likely end up with a decent draft pick this year to go along with Portlands pick which would likely be right outside the lottery provided they even make the playoffs this year.

Pertaining to this thread, I like Jarrett Allen but a late first in a loaded draft is probably more valuable long term than Clint Capela 2.0 on a max contract.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd rather have Allen than the MIL pick. Its not even close IMO...

D-rock and Fulgore like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

those highlights remind me
    • Rubio is shooting 18% from 3 and 34% overall
    • He's been benched
    • he's being paid $17m this year and next

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are you saying Ricky Rubio, Jarrod Uthoff and Thong Maker wouldn't take us to the promise land?

If you are, I don't belive you.

D-rock, BigShasta and fckbandwagons like this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We'll see what the pick nabs us and what kind of contract Allen gets, but he is only 22 years old. Centers in his mold have not been overpaid recently. Capela hit the market as a RFA two years ago and got 5yr/$90M coming off a 14p/11r/2b season. If Cleveland re-signs Allen for a contract near that I'd say they got damn good value long-term. Even if he signs a Steven Adams type deal at 4yr/$100M I think his contract would be a tradeable asset.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

@heypartner I'm guessing is going to respond, "are we having a meta discussion? I love meta discussions." =p

D-rock, ThatBoyNick and BigShasta like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah keeping Allen would have been dope. Should have demanded Allen and Dinwiddie's expiring over Prince and dared them to nix the trade over it.

Wall / Jones
    Dipo / Gordon
    Tate / Nwaba
    Wood / Tucker
    Allen / Cousins

That roster would F U C K.

Buck Turgidson, D-rock and chadyang like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right but as I calculated it Allen saved the Rox around 30+M in cash when you consider the lux tax payments, lux tax money and Prince's salary.

I'm a reasonable fan and I am ok with the owner saving money within reason. I dont think Tillman was being cheap as I'm sure majority of owners would prefer 30M in cash+1 FRP over half a season of Jarrett Allen+ whatever asset he can be flipped for.

Its not our money thats why fans are mad but people like that dont live in reality. If they had a way to make Elon Musk the new Rockets owner I'm all for it.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I dunno man I think the 3 picks, 4 swaps, 1 2nd round pick and losing Allen, Prince and Levert for Harden is already pushing it that is def comparable to what Lakers gave up for AD. And AD is 26 Harden is 31.

Plus it would leave Prince on the Nets I want them as bare as possible.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

The FA market is horrible we all know players get overpaid when that happens.

You realize Wood is making 13M a year right? Imagine Allen making 25M and Wood only 13M lulz I think I'd rather pass. If Im gonna pay someone Id rather pay Dipo 30M or extend Tucker at 8M than pay Allen 25M.

Allen is massive upgrade over Kurucs but as someone who just defends and dunks he isnt all that valuable to this team, Rox can prob find a discount version in the GLeague. Hell if they ponied up the cash theyd have McGee and Dwight on the roster right now both of whom would prob outplay Allen on any given night.