1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This is true, depending on your values and priorities. If your priorities are to be rich and social then what he is saying. The people that are going to be very wealthy or socially active are planting the seed now.

The problem I have with that sentiment is that isn’t what makes everyone happy and people that fall into these demographics seem to believe they ARE better than everyone else.

People that fall into this group do tend to make more money and have social lives. They also tend to have less success long term with spouses and their children and don’t always have empathy.

2. Texanstradamus

Watson was fine with Bill O’Brien ruining the organization but once he got fired everything went bad Watson is just as much at fault he vouched for O’Brien like crazy even though he stunk as a coach and GM and he is the one who brought easterby in to look over an organization that didn’t need any looking at.

everyday eddie and JayZ750 like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

No Watson isn’t as at fault as Cal McNair.

McNair is the owner. McNair signed off on the decision to fire the prior GM, to extend O’Brien. He is the one that decided to make O’Brien the GM. Cal is the one that let Easterby become powerful in the organization.

Cal allowed all of the bad decisions made by the organization to be made.

You can think it is chicken **** for Watson to want to leave a sinking ship months after signing an extension.... that is understandable but to say he is as guilty as Cal for the downfall of the organization is absurd.

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

So was every other Texan, apparently.

I get we’re allowed to be pissed at him for wanting to leave but every other Texan on the team was “fine” with it too. For a whole 6 years.

Don’t be shy.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Probably asked for the holy grail from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

there’s almost nothing they could have traded to make it reasonable. Rams + DW4 does some damage for multiple years most likely.

whime first round picks are still first round picks, late firsts are way different than early firsts.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

When you're young and single, its ok to focus on these things. When you get married, your priorities should change and when you have children, your life has a much different meaning.

Deshaun is still very young and while he's making an enormous amount of money, he's still learning about life. What was important for me at 25 is much different than what was important at 30, 40, 50 or now at 60.

I'm not upset with his approach to this situation, who knows how any of us would handle it. I juts want to extract the appropriate value if he's traded.

Deshaun can go to NY or MIA or some other city and enjoy the spotlight. He's earned that. That's just not the kind of QB or player I want to cheer for in Houston. Love of the game and not the show is what I'm looking for--when you become enamored with the show, you've become a politician or actor--neither profession I admire or appreciate.

Next man up. I'm past this, personally.

cmoak1982 and texanskan like this.
  10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you’re an old fart like me then you’d still think she’s hott

UTSA2step and Caesar like this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Give us the Ark...

Caesar and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The Texans arent getting that. I am surprised Stafford fetched what he did. I think the get 3 frps a second and a prospect type.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m willing to bet if it’s only 3 firsts, there’s a young star attached.
    The market is set, Stafford trade helps Texans immensely.

everyday eddie and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

saw that and commented; I would love that haul

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Depends on who’s drafting players. Is it Easterby? Does Easterby have final say on draft choices?

Nook likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

maybe if lucky can get mcnair and eastersleaze to open it

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/m...-stafford-trade-negotiations-los-angeles-rams

The Texans have a mess on their hands. First things first: This isn’t new GM Nick Caserio’s fault, and it’s not new coach David Culley’s fault. But Deshaun Watson’s not returning the Texans’ calls, and his issues with the team, I’ve been told pretty consistently, are over the heads of both those guys, and with owner Cal McNair and EVP Jack Easterby. And I think everyone needs to settle in, because it’s going to take a while for this situation to resolve itself, one way or the other. With that in mind, here are a few things you need to know …

• Watson’s issue isn’t that he didn’t get to pick the GM or head coach. He never asked to. But he was told that he’d be consulted during the search, and he was at first. Then, he had the rug pulled from underneath him with Easterby, who he believed would be more in the background on this, steering the process toward Caserio. That led to a heck of a capper—with Watson finding out about all this on social media. No matter where you stand on this, I think we can all agree that was bad business by the Texans.

• It’s not the first time Watson was put in this sort of spot. He found out about the DeAndre Hopkins trade last March the same way. He took that, and everything else that went down this year, in stride, and put together a high-end season individually despite it all. He was excited about the fresh start the franchise was about to get—and told me as much after a win on Thanksgiving over Detroit. So that the Texans are here now represents a clinic in mismanaging a star player. Or, really, any person you work with.

• The Texans blocked OC Tim Kelly from interviewing for OC jobs with the Titans and Lions, with the belief being that they wanted to hang on to him as an olive branch to Watson. The quarterback did, indeed, really like playing for Kelly down the stretch last year. I’m told he believes in Kelly as a play-caller. But Watson’s issues here, at least for now, are bigger than who’s holding the play sheet on Sunday.

• The hires of Culley as head coach and Pep Hamilton as QB coach, and the expectation that Josh McCown will come aboard at some point (I’m told nothing’s imminent on that front right now, and what his role would be is a work in progress) and perhaps even be positioned to succeed Culley gives Houston strong infrastructure for whoever the quarterback will be. And it seems to be a Watson-friendly setup. But, again, there are bigger issues to tackle first.

• This is going to have to be solved at the ownership level, and I don’t know how McNair can reopen the lines of communication at this point. Owners normally aren’t big on apologizing. But I’d have to think that would be the starting point here, and I don’t know if that’d even work. Also interesting will be whether McNair gets pressure from other owners to hold firm on keeping Watson, so as not to set a sort of NBA-style precedent for the rest of the league.

• The Texans, to my knowledge, have shut down all overtures for a Watson trade, since he requested one two weeks ago. But until this thing is settled, calls are gonna keep coming. At what point does Caserio have to start listening? And if he were to trade Watson, how much pressure would that put on everyone in the building? On the flip side, if Watson doesn’t show up in the spring or summer, how hard will it be for a first-year coaching staff to establish its program?

• I don’t think Watson has a single favored destination. My belief is his only priority will be to get to a place where he can win at a high level. So yes, the no-trade clause gives him a measure of control. But I don’t think he’d use it to veto everyone until he goes to a single hand-picked place. More so, I think he’d use it to avoid a bad situation. And, again, good and bad will be measured, as I see it, in football terms, and won’t be related to business opportunities, marketing or anything like that (he’s doing just fine in those areas).

So if you ask me where this is going, I’d say I don’t know. I’ve heard some people from rival teams say the Texans can’t trade him, and others say there’s no way they’ll be able to avoid that ending to this story. We’ll see what happens.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-super-bowl-rams-lions-trade-fmia-peter-king/

DESHAUN WATSON. Very nice man. Excellent football player. Franchise quarterback, to be sure. Non-confrontational. Add this nugget: Watson, just 21 weeks ago, signed a contract making him the second-richest player in football history. It didn’t take two years for him to turn on his team. It took 21 weeks. It’s gotten to the point where, I’m told, even some respected veterans on the teams have, in effect, told Watson, Go ahead. Go. We love you. We don’t want you to get trapped here. You don’t owe us anything.

I’ve heard a few other things about Watson. The veterans on the team supported him going to owner Cal McNair a month ago and telling him the situation in the locker room was dire, and there was no faith in the management or direction of the team. When the team didn’t interview a Watson favorite, Robert Saleh, that turned off the locker room. When the team chose to keep EVP Jack Easterby (a major bone of contention with players, who do not trust him), that further soured the players, including Watson.

Obviously, the question is whether Watson has the guts to withstand the gigantic pressure that comes with turning his back on the team in the fifth-largest market in the country, and turning his back on the team that he emotionally thanked for the huge contract last September, and turning his back on the team that paid him $29.4 million in 2020. It’s easy to say today he’ll stay strong—and he very well may. But if the Texans don’t trade him, a mountain of crap will come down on all their houses over the next eight months.

Close observers think there will be no real forward progress with Watson as long as Easterby is in the picture. Obviously, the question is whether Watson has the guts.

THE $2.4-MILLION QUESTION. If the Texans play hardball and refuse to trade Watson, the cost will be different from the costs in past years. Now, per the new 2020 CBA, fines cannot be forgiven. Watson, as a player under an existing contract, would be fined for missing the mandatory offseason minicamp, fined for every practice he skips in the preseason (approximately 28), and fined for every game he misses in the preseason (likely to be three, if the NFL goes to a 17-game schedule in 2021). The total fine, by my calculation, would be about $2,355,877. That’s money out of his pocket. You might say, Who would give up that kind of money?! Understandable. But let me tell you a story.

In 2017, I did a Christmas story for NBC’s “Football Night in America” about Watson’s immense gratitude for his family receiving a Habitat for Humanity house from Warrick Dunn when Watson was a child in Gainesville, Ga. Watson was emotional about it, because it was so important to his needy family at the time. I don’t know how this is going to go—truly. But until very recently, Watson had not made big-athlete money. Money doesn’t rule him. I don’t think it’s that important to Watson that his bank account might go down 10 or 20 percent, for a while. Part of that is principle, but the other part is that he knows if he stands firm, at some point he’ll be able to play for another team and make untold millions.

NICK CASERIO. Wisely, he is strongly opposed to trading Watson. For 20 of his 45 years on this planet, Caserio worked for the Patriots with Bill Belichick as his boss. So you’d think that has given him a veneer of toughness—which his friends in football say is true. After watching Belichick make the hard calls for two decades, I’m certain Caserio has seen the toughness. But the difference is now he actually has to make the calls, not watch them being made. And the first call, on Watson, could be the biggest one he ever makes. That’s hardly hyperbole. Somewhere in the first three grafs of his obituary will be this: Caserio is the man who traded Deshaun Watson if he does, and if Watson continues his transcendent path. As a GM you’re judged by the players you draft and sign and that your team develops, and also by those you trade or trade for. Think of the big calls by GMs in recent years. Will John Schneider ever make a bigger call than drafting Russell Wilson 75th in 2012? I doubt it. Will Ryan Pace be in the chair long enough to overcome Mitchell Trubisky over Watson and Patrick Mahomes in 2017? I doubt that too.

It almost seems unfair that the biggest decision/stand Caserio will make as a GM, ever, could come in the first year of his GM career. Will he play hardball with Watson, or will he trade him for almost assuredly less than his value? There is no corresponding value for a 25-year-old franchise quarterback who made a bad team competitive almost every week in 2020 and led the NFL in passing yards after the team traded DeAndre Hopkins for peanuts before the season. If he trades Watson, the next Houston QB—Sam Darnold? Justin Fields? Zach Wilson?—will always wear the mantel of the man who replaced Watson. That’s a heavy burden. Caserio has to wonder if this was the GM job really worth taking.