1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Detroit fleeced the Rams.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Stafford handled the situation very professionally, which enabled the Lions to get max value.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. mightybosstone

Whether Watson acts professionally or not, if the Texans deal him, they're going to get a massive haul either way. Professionalism really has nothing to do with it. It's about talent, age, demand and length of contract. And all of those things point to Watson being an asset worth tremendous value.

everyday eddie, juanm34 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

hes definitely not a “sure thing” star NFL qb.... but neither was Mahomes. But he definitely has a lot of Mahomes / Rodgers / DW / Josh Allen qualities.

this guy does a fantastic analysis if you want to sit through 30 minutes. He has Wilson above Fields, etc but hasn’t done his Trevor Lawrence eval yet but one wound assume Trevor would come out as the #1 prospect.

Short of getting the #1 pick I think a mega package from the Jets might be as good a scenario as there ever will be. Consider a mega haul means the Jets obabky aren’t that great next year as well.

and it’s just me but I absolutely love the concept of Wilson plugging right in.

#164 JayZ750, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    everyday eddie, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hey!.....

To be fair, I'm not sure I ever sold his positives so much as never thought he was as bad as many fans did. I believe my exact words were, "He's fine." And he was - as a head coach. As we saw repeatedly in the playoffs, he's one of many head coaches who can absolutely confound fans with their risk-adverse coaching. There's a lot of those.

But! He was a TERRIBLE, franchise-ruining GM and the narrative that's emerging of his toxic culture within the building is indefensible. And! I agree with you here, re: Watson. I don't blame him for wanting to get away from McNair/Easterby - but signing a giant contract and then jumping ship and abandoning the franchise and his teammates is not a great look. He is absolutely going to derail careers here. It's remarkably selfish. And to what end, I have no idea as any situation where he lands is going to be hamstrung by landing him.

ROXRAN and JayZ750 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’ve said that a couple times now. This class is more highly thought of than the 2017 class. There’s no telling how it will end up, but there are 3-4 QBs that have the same potential as some of the best QBs in the draft.
    Trevor by himself is better than any QB since Luck.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Evil and hate filled

8. ktex

ktex Member

I'm starting to get on board for ZW but Easterby won't draft a Mormon. No way. This is how fvcking stupid we are.

Pringles and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah you’re right and I definitely see a need for your type of measured approach to everything. I was just so tired of seeing the dude screw up coaching I was like let him have power as GM maybe he won’t screw that up.

I’ll make a not going forward that when someone just isn’t good at something they’re not likely to transition to something very very similar and all of a sudden be good at that. It wasn’t quite as clear then as it is now but the fact that BOB wasn’t even really sold on DW out of the draft and it was a 99.99% Rick Smith move should have been the sign. My bad.

but you’re spot on with DW. It’s a horrible freaking look. And this guy is supposed to have the trust of his teammates.. who are throwing their bodies into others regularly, to lead them?? It’s confounding. I thought he was the prototypical “leader”.

at this point, after last nights Stafford haul, I am 1,000% on board with the mega trade.

there are so many things working towards this it’s almost perfect. He wants the Jets for some reason and likes their coach. So you can get them to give up max without DW b****ing as much about what would be “left” with the Jets. But giving up max hanstrings the Jets which is perfect. With Buffalo and Miami I absolutely do t think the Iets with DW but without a lot of other assets is a playoff team next year. The Jets need a face of the franchise type “saviour”. The Stafford deal sets a great precedent. I don’t care if the Rams “had” to get rid of Goff. Overpaid... sure ... but not so “bad” and overpaid that anyone thought beforehand you’d have to attach those extra assets to him to get you 33 yo Stafford.

I put out 4 first, a second a third Willians and Davis. That’s mega mega lol. Jets probably/likely say no. But if you could get that ... it’s a move that sets you up so so well. Improve defense immediately. Tons of draft picks. If Casiero is an average or above average GM you have a real chance of putting together a legit team for the next 5 years with that.

and as I’ve now harped on a few times... I love Zach Wilson

Hey Now!, Pringles and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Pringles

Pringles Member

God. I hate so much how this is an actual concern for us.

conquistador#11, ROXRAN and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really enjoyed that video and believe with Pep Hamilton on staff he could correct those issues with Zach. Now its getting NYJ to give us their 4 1st rounders for 21-22 plus some extra juice to get it done.

JayZ750 and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To be fair, Stafford's "career" is possibly what Watson is facing if he stays here.

Nook likes this.
  13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

I don't think this is accurate at all. Easterby wants people who live by a strong moral code and have good values. People who make those around them better. Many practicing Mormons fit this description really well actually.

ROXRAN and JayZ750 like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

The Texans won the division 4 out of 5 times before this season. Stafford made the playoffs 3 times in 12 years in Detroit. Your take just isn't in-line with reality. It's not supported by facts.

JayZ750 likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think Wilson could step right in, but his upside isn’t Deshaun Watson. I feel the same way about Tua. Either one could get the job done, but you’re not going to get elite quarterback play from them. Having said that, this team isn’t going to win right now even with an elite quarterback. This is a shitty team with tons of holes that are going to take years to fill. That’s the reason I’m solidly in favor of trading Deshaun for the biggest return possible. As good as he is, he’s being wasted here, and by the time it gets better his contract will be about done anyway. I just don’t see the upside for keeping him here against his will. Hold out, get the biggest return in NFL history, and hope they don’t manage to screw it up!

ROXRAN, cmoak1982 and JayZ750 like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

9-7 and division round exits are not the goal. Stafford could have made the playoffs a few more times than that and nobody would remember any of it unless they got close to winning it all.

conquistador#11 and Nook like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Wilson has the upside of Mahomes/Rodgers/Watson. There’s a lot that goes into reaching upside.
    Physically he’s right there with all 3 of those guys. And probably better arm talent than Watson.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Stafford went to the playoffs once among his first three full seasons; Watson twice. Given the Texans' current dumpster fire standing, it's not inconceivable Watson is staring down *exactly* the same career as Stafford if he stays here.

(And Watson was only here for two of the division titles and the core of that team - even if Watson were to stay - is gone.)

Red.Glare likes this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How do you know if Easterby will like him?

20. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

For that statement to be accurate, it would mean Watson would not make the playoffs from now until 2030. Highly, highly, highly unlikely, given roster turnover around the league, and quite honestly, given how good Watson is. Yours is just not a valid argument.