1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets can get to another level with one roster tweak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jan 31, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bench or trade PJ.

PJ hitched his entire offensive game on the Harden wagon, where Harden did everything and he only had to sit in the corner to wait for wide open corner threes. Without Harden and under Silas system, every player now has to pull their own weight. PJ looks absolutely lost on offense and his declining defense does not make up for the Rockets playing 4 v 5 on offense whenever he's in.

Tate is everything PJ is but a 2.0 version that actual can attack closeouts, finish at the rim and is a terrific passer. Put House at SF(has impressed with his passing), Tate at PF, and this team gets to another level immediately even if we got nothing back for Tucker. Think back to cp3's first year here when they eventually started PJ over Ryno and the team took off(because PJ fit next to Harden and cp3). Same will happen here if House or whichever SF we trade for starts over PJ(because he no longer fits).

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of folks are underestimating PJ's defensive contribution

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

The opposite actually. He's been living off that reputation for years even as it has severely fallen off especially this year. Look up any advanced metric, rapm, bpm, raptor...PJ has been one of the worst players in the entire league this year. Partly because of age and just falling off, maybe partly disgruntled from lack of extension, but imo mostly because he is just a severely limited offense player that has gotten exposed without Harden creating all his open shots.

We are going to trade PJ for a couple of second round picks and people here will think we are tanking but in fact it will be the greatest addition by subtraction. The reason why Tate and Nwaba have the best two man net rating on the team is not only because Nwaba is awesome, which is true, but also because Tate is allowed to play his natural position at PF when Nwaba is in and be awesome himself as well. PJ in the starting lineup is cockblocking Tate's development because Tate is not a SF.

#3 CXbby, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He is an offensive liability but he makes it up by playing pretty good defense...I would replace him with Tate, but Tate doesnt shoot that much better...yet

airflights92 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

like I said I think a lot of folks are underestimating PJ's defensive contribution

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Its not just about shooting. Tate is a much much more dynamic offensive player compared to PJ. Tate can attack closeouts off the dribble, finish at the rim, or make the correct reads and passes. PJ can only stand in the corner. Swapping them would completely open up the offense.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

The opposite actually. He's been living off that reputation for years even as it has severely fallen off especially this year. Look up any advanced metric, rapm, bpm, raptor...PJ has been one of the worst players in the entire league this year. Partly because of age and just falling off, maybe partly disgruntled from lack of extension, but imo mostly because he is just a severely limited offense player that has gotten exposed without Harden creating all his open shots.

We are going to trade PJ for a couple of second round picks and people here will think we are tanking but in fact it will be the greatest addition by subtraction. The reason why Tate and Nwaba have the best two man net rating on the team is not only because Nwaba is awesome, which is true, but also because Tate is allowed to play his natural position at PF when Nwaba is in and be awesome himself as well. PJ in the starting lineup is cockblocking Tate's development because Tate is not a SF.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well played!

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you know who else is old and washed? Tom Brady is old and washed. And he's still playing this season. Tucker quarterbacks our defense. If he has lost half a step in mobility he more than makes up for it by anchoring our defense. Listen to Christian Wood's postgame remarks last night--he says he is getting better defensively by paying attention to what the other guys and coaches are teaching him to do. That doesn't just come out of a couple of future draft picks. Let's not be so hasty to fix the one thing right now that ain't broke and that is in fact the reason for what success we are having. And last time I looked we seem to be having little problem scoring.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If you trade PJ you need to get another big somehow. Rebounding is important too.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

We are a bottom 10 offense. I don't doubt that PJ is the best communicator and qb of the defense. He can be one of the assistant coaches then. I'm fine with pj staying until the deadline to tutor the young guys, especially Tate who will be taking his place. I'm just saying when he inevitably does get traded the team will take off to another level.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I would be looking at either putting Ben or House with Tucker and trade for a big. Then let it ride.

saleem, D-rock, PatBev and 1 other person like this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

House has actually been good at being decisive and moving the ball which is what Silas is looking for, i would actually like to see him replace PJ in the starting lineup if we don't get any players back. Mclemore is straight ass, needs to be packaged but doubt anybody wants him.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

fair enough. I just don't have as much optimism perhaps about "another level," I really don't see us getting past the Lakers with this or any similar roster. So I'm just sort of enjoying taking what comes on a game by game basis. your mileage can vary

burlesk, HP3, Deckard and 5 others like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not in off ball movement

HP3, harold bingo, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

My dream trade is 3 expiring players... Tucker, Mclemore and Dante Exum for Aaron Gordon. I'd add a pick if need be. That right there would put us as a top 4 seed in the West.

fattz, chadyang and D-rock like this.
  17. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

Meh...

Let it break before we try to fix it. This team's issue has never been PJ, and some things you can't measure with a statistic. At this time, it seems like PJ is doing what the team needs him to do. If he knocks down some extra points, great. But I highly doubt that trading him is the tweak to get us to another level.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

For sure another level doesn't mean contender. Maybe that was a poor choice of words. But we will get better, which may be counterintuitive. Tate is playing out of position right now, and PJ is stunting the offense. Classic addition by subtraction. Would be a totally different story if Harden or another ball dominant superstar was still here, then PJ would be invaluable. Not meant to be a complete knock on PJ even though I do think he's fallen off due to age, it's more to do with the new system and player fit we have.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you and a lot of fans are over valuing Tate and under valuing PJ. Pj plays his role. Tate is not PJ defensively. PJ is a different level on defense. And PJ can’t do what Tate does in offense. But PJ now plays off pick and roll and drives to rim when he has the lane with his floaters etc. He understands his role and plays it well whether it’s corner 3, defense or helping roll to the basket. Please stop all this nonsense comparison which is not fair to either players.

HP3, xtruroyaltyx and D-rock like this.
  20. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

To add, I'd look to move House or Bmac first...maybe a pick. That'd give us more visible upside than dishing PJ. PJ's only problem is his expiring contract.

D-rock likes this.