1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This makes me sad.... not saying you're wrong or I disagree, just sad (and maybe numb as well).

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When was the last time team shennanigans, incompetence, and front office dysfunction led to a forced/demanded trade of a 25 year old franchise QB who just signed an extension?

What the Texans are going through now is completely unprecedented. There have been far more cases of draft prospects requesting not to be drafted by a certain team.

They are toxic.... unless the narrative somehow changes (with proof/evidence that it is not toxic).

everyday eddie and Pringles like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. I'm wondering how Watson's "No Trade" clause is going to factor into our negotiations and if he limits what teams we can talk to.

Some of the writers are trying to measure his value against other recent star trades and it doesn't make much sense to me. Watson is a generational talent at the most coveted position, if he's traded it should be the largest return in NFL history (move over Jimmy and Herschel). If it's not that size of deal, then I'd prefer a package with JAX for Trevor, which would give us the best shot at returning a similar (potential) value. While it would be tough seeing DWat twice a year, it could also create some epic games and marketing potential for the teams. Watson would also give Urban a guy that he could compete with immediately and because of Trevor's value they likely could craft a much smaller package to win the day then the other teams.

This will be a giant test for Caserio and it will be interesting to see how he handles it--no worries Nick the franchise's future is resting in your hands.

If Watson limits the teams to SF, CHI, etc. then I think Nick has to play hardball because those returns likely won't be fair value for this type of talent.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

That's comparing apples and oranges. Go deeper with your analysis. The NFL's collective bargaining agreement lays out the rules of the road for all teams to follow. ALL league owners would fight a rookie seeking to blow up those rules. It would have massive financial consequences league-wide, as one of the most owner-friendly parts of the CBA is the rookie contract scale. Huge value benefits to owners as it relates superstar players on rookie deals... On the other hand, only ONE team's owner is upset about Watson's trade demand, and it has little league-wide impact.

Furthermore, a rookie entering the league isn't rich yet - Watson is. That is the biggest impediment to doing what you describe.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rookies with talent advised by agents to avoid signing with ONE team, not all teams. It’s the same situation... with even more leverage than what Watson has because the Texans own his rights and he won’t get paid if they don’t trade him and he doesn’t show up.

It’s not like the rookies wouldn’t get drafted otherwise... and if they make it known they won’t play for the Texans well before the draft, and the Texans select them anyways, they’re in the exact same situation they’re in now.

No high draft pick is guaranteed to sign here, this season, in the midst of this sort of dysfunction. The more coordinated hit pieces that come out (which will be timed perfectly near the draft, presuming no trade has happened) will be telling.

Just preparing for the fall-out of all current players or former players as more is revealed about how truly toxic, weird, and hopeless the current leadership is.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course his no trade clause will allow his agent to steer discussions... and they’re unlikely to sign off on a trade that significantly impacts a team’s future.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Then he’s going to have to accept retiring.

He doesn’t get to screw the franchise over completely, while helping out another. It’s fine he wants to leave, but he is an asset and will need a return to go where he wants to go. Period.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Doubt they'll (Agent/Watson) have veto power on trade parameters and return. He'll have to sign off on the team, but I'd be damned if he gets to decide on what that team gives us in return.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty sure there’s no rule against his agent talking to those teams and figuring out what the parameters are, especially if his agent has other clients on the team.

Any team looking to get Deshaun is obviously going to have to be ultra careful... although it won’t be hard to improve on the incompetence of this front office. It’s highly unlikely at this point that his next team is his “last” team.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... and I also feel once the dust settles, no team (even the most desperate of teams) can afford to give what he’s truly worth and the offers being thrown out now as possibilities will be less zany.

There is no trade market for 25 year old franchise QB’s. It’s never happened before.

I keep asking the question as to what would the 2015 Texans fans or front office give up to trade for somebody of Watson’s caliber if he was made available? Three firsts? 2 firsts, 2 seconds? Or do nothing, be bad, and just draft somebody and see if it works out?

everyday eddie and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think that’s the minimum lol, in 2015 I would have traded a ton for Deshaun level talent.
    Some of the “experts” are being realistic, 3 firsts plus. Some are just trying to get him to a major market for pennies on the dollar.

Whether you like the Harden trade or not, it was a massive haul in draft picks. Not getting a player like Deshaun for nothing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m not a NFL trade expert.

I am capable of reviewing history.

The Texans used dozens of first and second and third round picks over the years before finding a player to DW’s caliber.

if I’m trading him in asking for 4 first and 4 second round picks.

if opposing team doesn’t want to do that fine. Don’t get DW then.

he’ll be your franchise QB for the next decade.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

One of the bigger issues with the Texans was their unwillingness to spend significant draft capital on a QB after Carr. Obviously they really didn't need to with Schaub under center but crazy that Ragone was the highest taken QB in 14 years before DW4.

JayZ750 and Htown Legend like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm sure they'd trade him for a first edition, baby skin-bound Bible, straight up.

15. Xopher

Xopher Member

I am 100% fine with trading Watson. This team has very little talent overall. The other teams in the division just keep getting better. The Texans are in cap hell and have no draft picks. This team, as it stands, will not be any good for 2-3 years. Let's say Watson decides to stay. How will this team get better next year? In 2-3 years, maybe. Do you really think Watson is going to sign another contract with the Texans if the team finishes 3rd in the division the next 2-3 years? It isn't as if he is on a 5-6 year contract. Either get all the Jets picks or get all Miami's picks and Tua. Either way they will have a QB on a rookie contract and can build the team back up.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I said at around after we lost game 4, was blasted for it.

Xopher likes this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

You can ask for it but you aren't getting it. Other teams have learned from the mistakes made by the Texans acquiring Tunsil. Hell I bet the Seahawks wish they had their 2 first rounders over Jamal Adams.

It's just not a good idea to give up all your draft capital for 2 years to acquire 1 player when you are not 1 player away from being a contender.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is true, but.....QBs and QB needy teams in big markets will bring in good haul I think. The type of talent Deshaun is at his age helps a lot too.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What if the shoe was on the other foot. If you were like the Texans were before, waiting years for a franchise QB, would you be a proponent of giving up say the Jets package? I'm pretty sure we would. I would rather not trade Watson, but if you can get a lot of draft capital for the next couple of years and not take a QB, you could realistically get the number one pick next year or the year after. If you have to trade Watson and can't get Lawrence you should concentrate on all the other positions of need on this team, which are huge.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

THIS IS GOING TO GET REAL UGLY!

If anybody knows the value of a GREAT QB, it's Caserio. He's been around Brady most of his career and the Patriots would have NEVER, EVER, NEVER traded Brady!

Harden at age 31 got 4 #1s and 4 swaps, I can see Watson getting 4 #1s, plus several #2s and players.