1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Centerfield Solutions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landry's Tooth, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I am a little skeptical that Yaz keeps this up, but I hope he proves me wrong.

I don't think the Giants want to trade him though, they are trying to add outfielders.

raining threes likes this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

True so i'm thinking Bradley Jr maybe a good fit.

3. Landry's Tooth

The problem is i agree with you but the giants would get better offers from other teams with better farm systems...

I also think a player that good is a luxury and not a necessity... I would be thrilled with Robles if he could be a close to average hitter...

4. Landry's Tooth

I would think Bradley too if he wasn't going to cost 50 million over 3 years...

If they could get him for 2 years 25 million i would be all over that...

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yeah that part sicks but it may have to be done or if there is someone out there that can fit in a trade.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Granted I don’t know much about Leon...but I’ve seen enough baseball to know not to bet on prospects as long-term solutions right away. I hope he’s turns into a good long-term player, but I’m hesitant to believe that he’ll be able to thrive in a starting role as early as this or next season. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t mind a 1 or 2 year deal for a known vet commodity in CF while Leon gets his feet wet. We’re in the last portion of our known championship window. As much as I don’t love JBJ, I wouldn’t mind a 2 year, 20-25m type deal, just so we’re not banking on Leon hitting the ground running. Maybe JBJ can be talked into a 1 year deal as well.

No Worries and everyday eddie like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s a big difference between a 16 year old international signee and a 22 year old. Cubans who sign in their 20s usually reach the majors pretty quickly (within a season or 2). Sure, there’s still pretty high potential for a bust, but the band of likely outcomes is a lot more known than it is for teenagers.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This, plus I think a lot of people underestimate how much risk there is in proven major leaguers. I'd say a Cuban player is probably 2-3 times as risky as a MLB player (Edit-non-star).

If Leon's power is real and he's plays a slightly below average defensive CF, he probably can strike out 32-33% of the time and still be playable as a CF on a playoff team. Granted, that would not be a great outcome for him and people would call that a bust. Power and playing a premium position give a lot of leeway offensively and defensively.

#48 Joe Joe, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If we spend that, I'll really question not re-signing Springer

raining threes likes this.
  10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

WHat do you mean???

11. toby

toby Member

A 2 year contract is a very different thing than a multi year into your late 30's contract.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

as far as our championship window . You’re right about “known” I was gonna disagree but then i read more carefully haha .

I do feel good about the probability of an “unknown” window after this one tho .

bregman , tucker , and Alvarez can continue to be studs and get even better . Now , 3 players aren’t enough in MLB , but if we keep Correa and manage to find / keep some good pitching talent then we can be a playoff team for years to come .

I think at this point regarding CF , we can take a cheap shot on a guy like marisnick and then use any big money we have left on pitching .

I bet tucker will get an opportunity to play CF. He looks like a weak fielder at first , but I think if the bat is good enough you can live with that / defensive switch in later innings .

Yordan has got to try to play some RF imo . Maybe you limit him because he’s coming off surgery , but that was a while ago and he should be pretty good physically right now .

we needed to and I’m glad we did bring Brantley back . We couldn’t lose both him and springer .

13. juicystream

I mean give me Springer at $25M and whatever $2.5M buys you over Brantley and JBJ. Or heck you can keep Brantely and just not sign Castro & Baez.

Mind you I don't think we are paying that for Bradley.

It is different, but so is the value of George Springer vs Jackie Bradley Jr.

14. toby

toby Member

Why do we think there will be a CF signing? Hasn't Click basically said Straw is the guy? I'd love a 2 year deal for someone, don't get me wrong; but I just don't see them spending money with an unextended Correa. Feels a little cart before the horse to me.

15. juicystream

Seems a lock to sign a veteran. If Straw is our CF, who is the primary backup? I don't think they want Alvarez in the field much, and if he is DH moving him to a position costs you the DH.

16. toby

toby Member

I just don’t see it. All the signs point to Straw starting. Diaz possibly backing up.

I also don’t see them signing a bandaid when they are close but miles apart with Correa. If they extend Correa, then you find your piece. Otherwise. Ride the horse you’ve got this year and trade Correa at the deadline.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Under no circumstance will Aledmys Diaz play center field. The only outfield position he can play is left field.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

of course we all know none of this matters bc Springer simply didnt want to be in Houston

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

How do we know that? Houston wasn't getting near $150 million. Toronto even outbid NY

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

No he’s said “right now Straw is the CF” but “he’s looking for a bargain”. Which is nothing we don’t know.