1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson Trade Packages

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Jan 28, 2021.

?

Which trade package do you like best?

1. NYJ

60 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. MIA

30 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. JAX

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other (state your preference in a post)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I’d trade with Jets. This is the scenario I would prefer.

2021 1st (#2 overall)
    2021 2nd round (34 overall)
    2022 1st round
    2022 2nd round
    Darnold and Williams.

Then trade the #2 pick to some QB desperate team and acquire their 1st and 2nd round picks next year and 3rd this year That would give us:
    2021 1st from QB needy team
    2021 2nd from Jets
    2021 3rd from QB needy team
    2022 Our first
    2022 Jets first
    2022 Other team 1st
    2022 Our second
    2022 Jets second
    2022 Other team second.

Ride with Darnold for one season and figure it out from there.

The other option with the Jets would be:
    2021 (#2 overall)
    2021 (#23? Overall)
    2022 (1st round)
    2022 (2nd round)
    Q. Williams.
    Use #2 pick on a QB and build from there.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would take the hypothetical Jets package, draft Wilson or Fields at #2 to be the QB of the future and use #23 and #34 picks to rebuild the defense. Next year you can use the 2-3 first rounders you have to rebuild the skilled positions on offense.

BossHogg713, texans1095 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I get the comparisons. Lefties just usually aren’t great QBs. We’ll see, I just don’t think he’s a valuable asset.
    They could trade him right now, I’m pretty confident they couldn’t get a 2nd rounder for him.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No way. Someone like Sam Darnold with four years of mediocre tape entering the final year of his contract may not be able to pull a second-round pick, but a QB that was drafted inside the top five a year ago and is entering his second season in the NFL would still fetch a first-round pick. At worst, the Dolphins would get a high second-round pick if they traded Tua right now.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I started thinking about this and realized IDGAF. If they trade Watson, I'm totally done until Simple Cal sells the team, if he ever does.

Whatever they get they'll F it up.

The only thing I have to look forward to is watching Mr. Scarface twist himself into a logical pretzel to tell us what a loser Watson is and how trading him was a genius move.

#45 Ottomaton, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    J.R., javal_lon, tmoney1101 and 2 others like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

From everywhere I’ve read I don’t think that to be the case. He might be thought of less than Josh Rosen.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

BYU is a Christian University.

Plus Wilson fits Easterby’s profile to a tee.

People will ignore the competition both players played over the past two seasons. And their ability to read defenses and create plays.

Fulgore and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That is my biggest hang-up on a BYU QB -- Was Steve Young the last good QB from that school?

Is it even a discussion to bring up the strength of schedule between BYU and Ohio State?

Its what I loved about Deshaun so much - the ability to play great in the biggest games, against the best competition.

Mahomes has shown that it may not be as much of a factor, but are we really going to see another Mahomes this quickly? With the current coaching staff in place here? I have my doubts.

Sooty likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees played for middle-tier schools. Big Ben played for Miami of Ohio. Brees' successor is from BYU. Josh Allen is from Wyoming.

On the flipside, Sam Darnold is from USC. Dwayne Haskins is from Ohio State. Who are the great NFL QBs from Alabama? Maybe Tua, or maybe he's very overrated.

I think the thing about small school QBs is that they had to play without having the best O-Line, best receivers, best running backs, etc. Playing QB at Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State is really easy because you get a clean pocket and always have receivers running away from defenders. You could still be great, but you never faced the pressure of playing equal talent outside of a few games a year.

Succeeding at a BYU means you didn't play in the spotlight, but it means you did play teams on a more equal footing to you.

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Wilson is from Utah.

Vernon Maxwell will hate this pick.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It has also been shown time and time again that the #1 indicator of success in the NFL from college is number of starts and number of passes thrown/completed.

Being a one-and-done starter at a giant school who romps to a national title is a really REALLY bad indicator for future success.

Give me a kid who is a redshirt senior 4 year starter for a MAC/CUSA school over those posers.

mikol13, conquistador#11 and Major like this.
  13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Case Keenum.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

in the grand scheme of things dudes like Keenum and Kolb ended up having much better careers than most of their "big school" peers they graduated with

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure ... that's fair. Hopefully Wilson will be ready for the speed and physicality of NFL defenses. While he may not have had the best talent around him, he didn't really compete against the best of the best either. Its why right now I give the edge to Fields. I guess I would be safer in saying "more often than not" bigger school QBs tend to be more successful and there will always be outliers - Rodgers came from a Power 5 conference which would face good competition pretty frequently. Brees in his year had wins vs Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and played several other good schools.

Signature wins for Wilson? Boise St? Central Florida?

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fields is not a very natural or even good thrower of the football. He’s quite a bit away from starting.

17. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

There is a good chance that the Texans will hold onto Deshaun for the next season. Odds are low that a deal will materialize that they deem valuable.

I can speak of only what's been told to me, there are conversations that MIA and NYJ are the favorites but I have it on really good Authority that neither of those teams are likely. The Jets will not be willing to give up nearly the package the Texans will be asking for. MIA will NOT part with the draft compensation, especially the 3rd pick in this years draft.

Word will start getting out about Deshaun's "list" including the 49ers, Bears, Dolphins, and a few others.

The dead cap hit coupled with the value the Texans will need to get back make this a very hard deal to make. If it were me, I'd try like hell to put NYJ and MIA and ATL against each other for Deshaun and see who balks. If you dont get a top 4 pick this year, you hold him for the year.

Nick is definitely better at handling this situation than OB was.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wilson is ready day 1?

Its why I'd take back Sam Darnold or some other QB as a crash test dummy for a year. Whoever the guy will be wont be ready day 1 other than maybe Lawrence and even there I'm wary of the half-field reads he's been spoon fed.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you are right, then you don’t trade him at all.
    There’s no way in hell those teams are balking at adding the 2nd or 3rd overall picks. It will take that plus multiple firsts to even get convo started.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Is this the same source that told you Frazier was a done deal?