1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Deshaun Watson's endgame?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm genuinely curious what Deshaun Watson's end game is here? He's obviously has lost faith in Cal McNair. No issue on that front - he's 100% right about the Texans owner and leadership.

But what trade scenario exists that improves what I assume he desires most?: a legitimate chance to chase a ring. (It's not money - he has that - and it's not as simple as wanting to play for a competent organization; he's not going to be happy going 8-8 because the owner isn't a religious dullard.)

The teams most able to afford Watson and his contract - and offer something that might actually tempt the Texans - are the bad teams. So he trades a bad team (that might not be *that* bad - the Texans did win 10 and 11 games in '18 + '19) for another bad team that is going to gut its draft and/or young player pool to essentially... switch places with the Texans. That's an improvement?

Or! Maybe he, thru his no-trade clause, can force his way onto a contender but a) most contenders are contenders because they have a good QB; b) if they don't, they have little to offer in terms of draft equity or player resources. And they probably don't have a significant amount of cap room because being good costs money. So they have to gut virtually everything to essentially become the NFL version of the Brooklyn Nets: a presently good team that has no capacity to get better now nor in the future because they wasted all of that to acquire Watson. They can't make trades, they can't sign free agents; they're cutting quality players to stay under the cap...

So.... what does he think this is going to accomplish, exactly? Isn't his *best* situation to straighten things out with the Texans?

2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

He wants the Power / Fame like Mahomes. He will roll the dice on a shitty team and feel he can change it in 2-3 years. NFL, nothing guaranteed. He could break his body up next year and never be heard of again.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not as good as Mahomes, so he shouldn’t have the same power or fame.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Posted this in the off-season thread

I believe the FO is incompetent in football-related aspirations. Clearly their agenda is non-football driven. But I also suspect that a desire to go NY is also partly driven from Watson’s IG model girlfriend Jilly.

Watson has been a bit out of character lately. Not sure if it’s because he accounts for Jilly’s desires as well now, or if he truly sees something terribly wrong in Texans ownership/leadership. if it’s the latter, i think fans should be made aware about the issues of Texans ownership so fans can stop supporting such ethics or behavior. Deshaun should call out the corruptions at the top if they do in fact exist.

Duke Fan, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are teams that have bad records that aren't run by an imbecile in the thrall of a nacent televangelist. For these teams, being bad is a transitory state.

Nook, mikol13, Red.Glare and 7 others like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Thats the part that is weird. IF, if there’s corruption. Most likely there isn’t. Ineptitude? For sure.
    But that’s not against the law.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The Jets and Dolphins aren’t those teams.
    They’ve been just as bad if not worse as the Texans

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

If we truly believe that coaching matters then Saleh and Flores and maybe Meyer are better. Based on coaching staff, I would put those teams ahead of Houston right now. If we believe that the rest of the roster matters then the Dolphins and Cowboys and 49ers are better and he would have a better chance there. All those teams have relatively high draft picks this year. If you include players back in return, there's the Bears, Patriots, Raiders, Colts and Saints as options. If the Texans want a reclamation QB along with draft picks in return then the Eagles and Rams are options.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's how bad this is. Dolphins and Jets look like a major upgrade over this clown show.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why is this team Watson's "best" situation? I'm curious because you and a lot of other people are saying pretty much the same thing.

"He's stupid to want to go to the Jets"
    "He's picking the Jets over us? LMFAO"
    "He wants to go to a team that will give up all of their picks just to get him??"

In reality, this team wasn't good this year and won't be good next year. There are holes everywhere on both sides of the ball that can't be addressed through the draft because they don't have picks. Is going to a Jets team better? From Watson's POV it probably is better because they recognized one huge issue (Adam Gase) and fixed it by picking up a very good coordinator that, by all accounts, should have gotten an interview here too in Saleh. That move right there says that the Jets ownership knew they f***ed up and is trying to right the ship. What did the Texans do in their coaching search? They botched the entire thing, and this is with a Top 5 QB on the roster that should have been used as an attractive piece to lure prime candidates.

The Jets also have capspace even after a potential trade for Watson, something Houston might not have unless, correct me if I'm wrong, they cut most of their roster.

My point is...if the Texans were Deshaun's best option I doubt we'd be in this mess. This is the same reality some didn't want to face when Harden demanded a trade (not saying this is you btw). "He has it great here because he's the man!" "Going somewhere else won't get him closer to a ring"

edwardc, Sooty and YOLO like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I guess. Not even trying to say the Texans are good. But those two teams have been trash for a long time.
    Miami needs to show another season before I say they’re on the right track.

12. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

No one is as good as Mahomes.
    Fins are actually good, missing a decent QB and some offensive weapons. That D is very solid.

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I’m very familiar with their personnel. They have some nice pieces. But it’s been their best year in a year where the Pats were down.
    They have the Bills and a young star in the mold of Deshaun in Allen. And there’s Belichick still in New England. If they pull Stafford, I don’t see Miami finishing above 3rd even with Watson.

14. Mr. Space City

He's had ex-Texans players telling him to leave, because this franchise is inept. Andre Johnson has been one of the most humble superstars in the NFL, and even he had to come out, and trash the organization. Watson simply wants to leave the Texans. It don't matter where, just as long as it's not the Texans.

3Rings, juanm34, DatRocketFan and 2 others like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe he doesn't want to play for an owner he doesn't respect? Doesn't make it right on his part, but its not a new advent either especially to this team - seems like players who leave here don't have very flattering things to say about the management structure over the years.

Deshaun wanted to be a part of the "cultural change" and have some say in the direction the team was going - team even said THEY wanted him involved only to do an about face and say "fk your thoughts and opinions".

I guess he should just be a good little boy and "shut up and throw the ball" huh?

Going to the Jets probably puts him on a worse team, but maybe that owner places more weight on football priorities and championships (LOL I Know its the JEts) vs biblical guidelines. Seems as if they chose a coach whom Watson would rather play for instead of another puppet that is there only to pass along messages from the owner and his pastor.

3Rings likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You do know the history of the Jets owner right?

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mahomes fame comes from his team being successful. So he doesn't want that if he wants to be traded to an incompetent franchise like the Jets.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They've been far worse than the Texans the past decade. It isn't even close.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yeah it’s not a good look when the only player in your franchise’s ring of honor is telling you to get out when you can.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

allegations of rich, white men making racist and misogynistic comments should come to no surprise.

I guess Deshuan prefers the openness of a mans intentions vs the behind the scenes BS that has become the norm for his current team.

So then Deshaun chooses racial insensitivity with a team who will put football decisions first over a team who doesnt really care about winning and just wants to field a team of devout practice heroes.

It speaks to how badly he wants out of here to jump into THAT situation.

Red.Glare likes this.