1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So now Deshaun is not a "high character" guy because he wants to be traded away?

Yea character is important sure - does it win football games? I dont know. I guess we'll find out. Not like there are alot of examples of a team being turned into a church in 2 years.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re conflating religion with high character.
    And no, I’m not necessarily saying he doesn’t have high character, but his actions recently certainly call it into question.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Well, should the Texans find a way to "Kaepernick" Watson and make him sit out of the league, becoming too toxic for any team to sign? Probably won't work in this case because Watson is too good of a player. May be legal impediments as well. But worth considering as a way to reign in this type of insubordination from high profile players.

If we do trade Watson, we are definitely getting pennies on the dollar in return. THAT is the travesty of all of this. Texans fans suffer because of Watson's selfish desires. We had one bad year! Division champs 4 of the last 5 prior to this past season. But after cashing his $27 million signing bonus, Watson screwed us days later with this trade campaign.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There is one - and only one - trade scenario that will make me not want to vomit blood:

1) Urban Myer and the Jags pass on Trevor Lawrence to draft Justin Fields
    2) the Jets immediately call the Texans and offer 1.2 (ie Lawrence) and whole bunch of other **** (gimme Denzel Mims!) for Deshaun Watson.

Every other trade scenario can, pardon my French, get ****ed.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Patriots won a **** ton of SuperBowls with all of their allegations surrounding them.

Enough with this "culture" bullshit.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm not going to make a claim of his character because outside this request, he seems like a good leader and person.

I just wish these athletes who are living the most luxurious lifestyle imaginable had more empathy for the fans that root for them and get them that salary and endorsements.

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This could get really really ugly. If both sides decide to dig in then we're going to have a really ugly and public situation.

The tricky part of all of this is that we have to maintain as much leverage in trade talks with other teams as possible. We HAVE to get a kings ransom for Watson if we do end up trading him. I'm talking no less than 3 1st's and 3 2nd's. Or at least 2 1st's and 2 2nd's if another team is willing to throw in a solid young player. But even then that's still probably not enough.

If it's the Jets we trade with then I'm demanding at least:

2021 1st (#2 overall)
    2021 1st (23? overall)
    2021 2nd (34th overall)
    2021 4th
    2022 1st
    2022 2nd
    2022 4th

OR

2021 1st (#2 overall)
    Darnold
    2021 2nd (34 overall)
    2021 3rd
    2022 1st
    2022 2nd
    2022 3rd

In the second scenario I'd flip the #2 overall pick to a QB needy team to acquire an additional 1st next year and maybe even the year after. Ride with Darnold for a year and go from there.

8. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Should of hired Bill bienemy

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d definitely take the first option and try to get a defensive player from them.
    I’m taking Wilson at 2 no question.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL what?

Wanting to be traded away from a disaster of team all of a sudden makes someone a "bad guy"

crazy.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Deshaun is and has not been the problem. You guys are creating a scapegoat and should direct that energy where it is deserved.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Where did you get that from?
    If you’re going to make your own inferences and put words in my mouth, we don’t need to talk.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He isn’t free from blame either. He’s shown some diva qualities lately.

Fantasma Negro and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

I hate management of this team but Deshaun Watson signed a contract to this team and the fans embraced him. He's completely ignoring the feelings of the very people who got him this filthy rich.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Exactly. Is winning football championships more important than a clean record for this team?

The answer clearly is no.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, throwing a temper tantrum and demanding a trade when the team has done right by you by giving you a long term contract makes you a scumbag.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He would have been paid that amount ANYWHERE he would have been playing. Thats the nature of the money that goes to the star QBs in the NFL. The team has an obligation also to fill out the team with the most COMPETENT and qualified coaches and players - they have failed on their end and have failed Deshaun in the process.

D4 is not the bad guy - you all are falling for the long con.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because he doesn't care about anyone but himself. He wants to throw a tantrum, he doesn't care who it hurts.

That's just what happens when a team tries to build on a player who is a POS. The Rockets did it, the Texans did it.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What in his actions calls into question his character? His rap lyric tweets? His desire to be traded?

Im not inferring anything - those are your words and they seem crazy to me - take it how you want.

its a polarizing topic and its going to inspire some strong feelings if you would rather not expand thats fine.

20. fchowd0311

I don't think he's the "bad guy". I think he's just completely ignoring the feelings of the fans. It's disheartening as Houstonians have embraced Watson as the best thing that has happened to Houston sports in a while.

At the end of this day, Watson is making 40 mil per year. It's hard to have sympathy for people making that much complaining about management.