1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Rockets don't often have a chance at landing a top 4 pick.

There's no better time than this year. This roster isn't good enough to even make the playoffs. No reason to win and lose the top 4 pick.

Losing enough games to guarantee the top 4 pick should be the priority. It's the best possible outcome for the Rockets this season.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not saying they tanked to get Klay. I'm saying they tanked in 2012 because their pick was top 7 protected.

https://www.businessinsider.com/golden-state-warriors-nba-tanking-2013-5

Kim likes this.
  3. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

We actually have a pick. Right now it would probably be Miami’s, the 10th worst team in the board

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

The Rockets bench right now... (when you see it)[​IMG]

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Theres no guarantee to get the top 4 pick, thats issue. Rox only have 48-52% of getting top 4 pick if they are among the bottom 4 worst team.

If they tank abd lose the coin flip they just screwed themselves to give OKC a top pick.

Memphis did it before, they could have had Lebron James but lost the 50-50 and only got the 2nd pick. As a result they gave their pick to Detroit.

https://www.opencourt-basketball.co...st-drafted-lebron-james-what-could-have-been/

You wanna be the next coulda woulda shoulda footnote to Green or whoever the superstar of 2021 draft class is? Be my guest but I aint joining you lol.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The issue with this article is it's missing a lot of context.

Curry wasn't just randomly shut down, he had ankle surgery later because he had sprained his ankle once again. It wasn't just some BS injury like the Pels tried to pull with Davis
    https://www.nba.com/warriors/news/curry_undergoes_surgery_042512.html

Bogut also wasn't sitting out because of a mysterious injury.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ors-admits-microfracture-surgery-indefinitely

He then tried to come back the next year and still had health issues because Bogut was oft-injured, he only played 32 games the next year, so it wasn't some BS injury that they were milking, he really had leg issues, had surgery, and wasn't even really able to return back to any good form...well lets be real, at that point all he was able to do was set illegal screens...but that injury he had made him a shell of himself. He was a double-double big until that point.

But the point being is they didn't sit these guys to tank, they had surgeries and real injuries, Bogut's injury went on into his next year while Curry's surgery was the one that finally fixed the issue he had with his paper ankles. The article makes it sound as if they just casually decided to sit them.

As for Lee, he played like 95% of that year, had a solid year even, they did sit him the last few games btu they sucked way before that. Looking at BBall ref, they had a bad month of march and Lee played that entire month, which is the last full month of the regular season. They went into that month 14-19, so still very much the playoff hunt...they ended the month 20-30, so they went 6-11 that month and in a short season that put them out of it. They played Lee for half of April and threw in the towel.

I guess the question is if you consider throwing the last few games tanking. I don't. They went into that season trying to compete for the playoffs, Curry goes out...comes back...turns ankle again...they still then tried to compete for a month and a half even without Curry and Ellis/Bogut.

And trading for Ellis was a move they had to do. Bogut at the time was a top center, They had Klay Thompson coming off the bench for Monta (Do it all) Ellis so the trade finally gave Klay to grow and become a starter and it gave them their starting Center for their first run.

I just can't see it as a tank. You can argue the last 8 games were, but they competed for like 90% of that season...and also if we had the lottery rules we have now they simply wouldn't, there isn't much of jump to incentivize throwing games at the end of the season because that kind of late game tanking is what pretty much every team used to do. They weighed having a lottery pick or being swept by the 1 seed.

blahblehblah and roslolian like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, this team is bad, sure, but top 3 bad? Nah. I think we saw how bad Detroit is and we beat them without two starters.

If this team gets Wall/Wood back they are going to be firmly mediocre. People need to get ready to give OKC that pick...

Hopefully Miami continues to lose and if they do...we get their pick. Which would today be the #10 pick...I'm more rooting on Miami to continue losing because that's a sure pick for us.

No Worries and roslolian like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Cade Cunningham is very, very talented. They play top-20 teams (Baylor/UT/Kansas/TT/WV) quite often, watch him.

They got to draft Curry because Minny had the 5 and 6th picks and drafted 2 point guards, neither of which was Steph Curry (Johnny Flynn & Ricky Rubio).

roslolian likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Correct. But Im baking on the Rockets being able to draft competently. Especially with a a top 4 pick.

Edit: People are also scared of losing a pick to OKC for a reason I dont understand.

Trackwell likes this.
  11. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It’s a no brainer.... Especially if you understand how the NBA works

Plowman likes this.
  12. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I think Detroit the only team in the league with less talent

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've never advocated tanking in my life....ever.
    But, this year ....under the circumstances...

We are rebuilding...in a Covid year...post James w/ picks ahead...OKC holds in place. The right coach with Silas...also Lucas being a good assistant for this.
    Finally a true rebuild. Let's get it right.

If we are top 4, Adam Silver will scratch our back. This IS the way the NBA operates. One doesn't have to look back far to understand this.

I'll just say it. ..

Last night was a game we could have lost.
    It was RIGHT there for us.

Sounds weird, but....it is what it is.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

THIS ... The tanking gods have all aligned

luckyman76, PhilCollins and Plowman like this.
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is the dumbest thing ever. There is an entire season left to play. Oh...if things ended today. Hey, if the pandemic ended today, then we could all go out to eat. Great...thanks!

Trackwell likes this.
  17. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

And I actually hope they don’t interfere with the lottery

Plowman likes this.
  18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I thought the Brooklyn pick this year is a swap.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

calm down. it's just a snap shot if the season ended today. sheesh.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I know. I'm perfectly calm, dude. Wasn't going off on you or anything. lol. We're 15 games in so seems pointless.

DreamShook likes this.