1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peak T-Mac or Peak Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 22, 2021.

?

Peak McGrady or Peak Harden?

1. Tracy McGrady

27.3%
  2. James Harden

72.7%
  1. JW86

JW86 Member

Lol close this thread, T-Mac was much worse in every possible way.

s3ts, baller4life315 and Patience like this.
  2. Damion Laverne

Cannot believe you dumb-dumbs are still arguing this.

IT SHOULD NOT BE A DEBATE.

Patience likes this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Actually Tmac at the time(Orlando) was better than Kobe. It was later when one became shelf of an athlete due to injuries and the other elevated his status to being legendary. Kobe end up better but talent wise they were like brothers

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

McGrady was good at the end of close games? Let's check:

2005 round 1 - playoffs vs Dallas - In clutch time (last 5 minutes, 5 or less point difference)
    McGrady - 22.3.fg%, 0% 3pt% and 24.2 TS%

2007 round 1 - playoffs vs Utah - In clutch time (last 5 minutes, 5 or less point difference)
    McGrady - 40% fg%, 0% 3pts% and 55.8 TS%

2020 round 1 - playoffs vs OKC - In clutch time (last 5 minutes, 5 or less point difference)
    Harden 54% fg%, 40% 3pt%, 67% TS%

2019 round 1 - playoffs vs Utah - In clutch time (last 5 minutes, 5 or less point difference)
    Harden 60% fg%, 33.3 3pt%, 85.1 TS%

Those are the two first round series that you cited for McGrady. They aren't even close to Harden's last two first round series.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Who was better: Hakeem or Dwight?

It’s about on that level.

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Did you watch both prime McGrady and Harden live game in-game out? It makes me wonder how someone watching prime Tmac can write things like that. You would never see Ginobli blocking biggest shot of Tmacs career matter of fact he scored 13 in 30 on prime spurs with Duncan, Bowen etc. Not saying he is better than Harden, they played differently but you cant write things like this with straight face. Harden is no Jordan/LeBron/Kobe. Hes not even Dirk bro. Hes just another AI/Carmelo with great stats and no chance at the title as main dog(its cemented now as he went to form his little super team with Durant)

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

You forgot to write Rockets were heavy favourites in 2019 and 2020 and underdogs in 2004-2007. You just cant compare Dirks Dallas to team led by Rudy Gobert or 90year old CP with gang of rookies

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Rockets were never favorites, as far as I can remember.

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

Lebron ain't **** without help.

Dirk was special that year he won the chip, but he did play with a lot of help at the peak of their game. All-in-all, Mavs are a great organization with exceptional coaching.

I watched T-Mac and Harden live. I'm picking Harden 10 times out of 10 opportunities to choose.

Harden would've killed with Yao too, especially with Ron Artest. That one year, we should've won the chip, but T-Mac had already checked out by then.

There's ANOTHER factor nobody has talked about here -- longevity. Harden wins that category hands down over T-Mac.

10. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

If we were talking about a fantasy comparison, no injuries, both at their prime, same teams, I would go TMac by a longshot.

TMac is Kobe and MJ talent w/o their mentality.

Harden might be greatest scorer ever, but also lacks mamba mentality.

But TMac had the edge on decisive moments IMO.

I am sorry to say, but if it was TMac in that game 7 against GSW, we would have won a chip.

Mr Woods and MIAGI99 like this.
  11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I was responding to the statement that McGrady hit big shots down the stretch in those series. He didn't. He was horrible in the clutch vs Dallas and very average vs Utah.

Fact is Harden's last 4 years with the Rockets were all better than any single year of McGrady's career.

CCity Zero, s3ts, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

There are if you look for the highlights. As a fan you've seen McGrady create but he was not any near Harden which is why when posters claim Tracy was a better passer......

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can actually name 3 Harden Big Moments off top of my head that are better than anything TMac did

Dort block.
    Game winning walk off jumper v GSW, 2016 (In a first round loss - very TMac!)
    20 something points in 50 point 3rd quarter that turned halftime tie of 2-1 series vs Minn into a Gentleman's sweep

What is TMac - dunk on Shawn Bradley?

s3ts likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I chose Harden because peak McGrady was like a weeks worth of games.

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'd say it's closer than most of you guys think. In the end, neither one could bring a championship home.

Tmac was way more fun to watch.

16. Mr. Space City

Harden and it’s not even close. Only someone with extremely low BBIQ would think peak T-Mac is better than Peak Harden.

Air Canada and s3ts like this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden easily

Air Canada and s3ts like this.
  18. bro2044

bro2044 Member

It bums me out that I completely forgot about that game winner.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lmao is this even a real debate? No.

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Tmac was easily the better player. Tmac is top5 most talented players I’ve ever watched. But his heart didn’t match his body