1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"New Study Names Houston Worst Place in Texas"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcao, Jan 22, 2021.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!! :)

Ubiquitin and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. jayland

jayland Member

No way Houston is worst then the dump with a dirty creek called San Antonio.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know for a fact that we have the worst drivers in the nation.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You were never a real Houstonian. You were just faking it out until you could make it out. Be gone with thee traitor!!!!

TWS1986 likes this.
  5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Here you go again assuming everyone else has never been outside of TX.

You can be subjective, but can you try not to be on a high-horse about this.

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

This wasn't the case until like 2016. Prior to that, I was perfectly fine with the roads. I did stick mainly to the West side of I-10, though.

59, 610, I agree, they never had a chance.

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. s3ts

s3ts Member

True, but that's a very low bar.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Born, raised, and settled in Houston, but I've spent extended time in College Station, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas, and still do business in all of those cities on the home building side. Houston is so much better than all of those places for various reasons IMO:

Austin - While it provides an excess of activities on the weekends, it's far too crowded for its limited infrastructure, and is on the precipice of a MASSIVE influx of people coming in to further tax the infrastructure and drive cost of living even higher.

Dallas - It has to be one of the most segregated cities I've ever been to. The cultural diversity is literally non-existent, and the arrogance of the residents is borderline criminal. It's more aesthetically pleasing than Houston due to zoning, but it literally offers nothing else.

San Antonio - As an Indian, I found it incredibly hard to relate to anybody there. It's a very cloistered place where the residents are frankly pretty ignorant of outside cultures (other than Hispanic heritages). And yes, the Riverwalk kind of sucks.

College Station - I went to college here, so it might not be a fair assessment, but I've watched it grow over the last 15 years. Again, culture and diversity is completely non-existent. Not at all somewhere I'd want to raise a family.

Houston might not have the cache of some of the other more glamorous cities in the country, but it offers quite a bit for someone who knows what they're looking for.

TWS1986 and BigM like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

You guessed it

[​IMG]

10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

its not the worst place in texas i have seen worst that is not it I mean houston is big city and alot to do and we have the nasa but you have to go downtown where everything is the stadium for soccer Minute maid park Toyota center is all downtown that is where the action is downtown houston and everything in Sugar land is great but everything is downtown like the art and colleges and jazz shows is all down town that only one side of houston with the space station. i have been to the space station. we got a lot of history here beside sports and championships.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Disagree on this point. While I don't live in the suburbs, my kids (8 and 11) play outside with friends every day after school until it gets dark outside. And I think Houstonians have a bit of a complex because most of our lives have been spent getting **** on by most of the country because our city is ugly and traffic/summer weather is awful.

While it will never be a tourist destination and won't win any awards for civic beauty, I love how laid back and friendly most of the people are here, the amazing diversity of cultures, the outstanding restaurant choices (especially various latin and asian cuisines) and the affordability of many places where people can raise a family in a relatively safe place.

12. dmoneybangbang

Houston is fine...... Born and raised in SW Houston and spent most of my college/ adult life in central texas/Austin.

I certainly understand the Houston dislike/hate as it's not for everybody (not that any city is). I think it's a double edge sword that Houston doesn't have a "favored quarter" like North Dallas or North Atlanta or North Austin that is just one large swath of middle to upper class folks. Anyone from Houston or lives in Houston knows there are some wide swaths of poverty Houston with big pockets of middle to upper class.

Houston was certainly becoming a fun place before a Covid from my perspective, its restaurant and bar scene is just so historically decentralized and transient. Seemed like downtown's investments were paying off and creating something special for the area but Covid killed that off for now.

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

chandler parsons has a new career, pseudo blogger?

Ubiquitin and donkeypunch like this.
  14. Entropy

Entropy Member

The culture of Houston is good food, good living, and getting along and respecting your fellow neighbors, even if you might not agree with them about everything. It definitely doesn't have the glitz and glamor of other cities, but it's got what you need.

Ubiquitin and TWS1986 like this.
  15. Entropy

Entropy Member

Curious, what has made it crap?

16. Aware

Aware Member

Houston is a swamp, but a pretty alright swamp.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Joakim never met me. I actually went there on vacation.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Kevin Porter Jr agrees.

s3ts likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Austin had a great run until 2017.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Everyone has a right to their own opinion of course, but it's the fourth largest city in the country, with large populations/cities in the surrounding areas. There's a ton of culture and things to do.

I agree that you have to look for it, but you'll find many things based on your tastes. Pre Covid you can find restaurants, many events, festivals, museums, nightlife, whatever you want.

There are tradeoffs with every city, there may be better nightlife or areas but much worse cost of living, shoveling snow/ice roads, crime, racism, etc.

For all its strengths and weaknesses vs other cities, Houston has a lot of diverse positive things for the cost of living imo.

TWS1986, BigM and Buck Turgidson like this.