1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This makes me wonder if there is any affordable housing halfway between MMP and the Home of the Skeeters. Throw 96+ and headed to Sugarland...better have a place somewhat close to MMP.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2023 is his last stand if he doesn't make it before then. After that, and he has to be in the majors or DFA.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whitley, Pena, Leon, Lee, Nova, Barber, Abreu, and Brown are a fine group of position player prospects for any team's 3-10. Houston really only lacks 2-3 elite prospects to have an 'average' farm. Their depth is fine and I hope that because now most of their best prospects are 1+ years away from graduating, some of them will start to percolate into the Top 100 lists.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

also , our farm is fine considering how many players weve graduated recently.

Teams with amazing farms generally arent coming off years of real contention and guys like alvarez , tucker , and our group of young pitchers already in the bigs

7. raining threes

Looks to me there's alot of young potentially great young pitchers in AA or lower.

IowaAstro and Joe Joe like this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

former Klein Collins star, former Astros draft pick

#88 tellitlikeitis, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Love that signing. Double digit HR power, low k rate, sticks at SS.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Assuming one of Hinojosa or Pena is assigned to AAA, I really like how their lineup projects, although if they don't expect to play Shaver, Matijevic, or Stubbs in the infield then they may want to add another guy like Hinojosa for depth.

C Stubbs
    1B Jones
    2B De Goti
    SS Hinojosa (or Pena)
    3B Shaver
    RF McCormick
    CF Siri
    LF Dawson
    DH Matijevic
    bench: Papierski, Meyers, Miguelangel Sierra

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston has now added 4 fairly high ceiling players to their upper minors this offseason (Siri, Leon, Gonzalez, Hinojosa). Only Leon is an actual prospect, but given how depleted their upper level position player ranks have gotten, adding those types of fillers is a key area Click can focus on to fortify the farm. They also added an interesting catching prospect to the lower minors.

Id like to see them maybe add one more middle infield prospect who could slot in AA or AAA, but either way I think the farm has taken a bit of a step forward this offseason, especially considering Houston is a contending team under draft pick penalty.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How is a 26 year old infielder who has never played above AA a high ceiling player?

#92 bobrek, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    moonsh0t, raining threes and MrBear1 like this.
  13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Is Hinojosa really good though? His MILB numbers suck and hes already 26 years old

raining threes and bobrek like this.
  14. MrBear1

To be honest Siri doesn't do much for me either. Maybe hes all glove? His AA and AAA numbers are pretty bad.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Obviously the term high ceiling is very subjective, but I would point out that ceiling is only one component of a prospects value.

Hinojosa has proven he can stick in the middle infield and can avoid strikeouts. When a player is 1 tool (power) away from being a good hitting SS/2B, that’s a high ceiling. Now, at 26 and having been released, the odds of him adding enough power to reach that ceiling are probably very low. So in terms of overall value Hinojosa is only a 35 on an 80 grade scale, but he still has (a small) chance of becoming a very good utility player or even an everyday SS/2B.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

https://theathletic.com/2338178/2021/01/28/keith-law-top-100-prospects-2021/

Not a big fan of Law's, but he was high on Garcia prior to last season. Garcia's stuff looked great in the majors last season, though he needs a tad bit more control. No surprise that Garcia made his Top 100. Law did explain in the article probably why I am not a fan..."I tend to favor upside in prospects more than certainty, but there is value in both." I tend to think people who value upside underestimate the upside of guys with high floors, over estimate the likelihood of low level guys reaching their "upside", and generally undervalue guys that are likely to be okay major leaguers.

29. Whitley
    67. Garcia

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-63-prospects-tampa-bay-rays/

This is why I am giving Click the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. He came from a place that has consistently outperformed in talent acquisition. And we are seeing Click deploy the same tactics:
    Swing big in the intl market. (Leon)
    Target position players with contact ability and one other tool. (Leon, Whitcomb, Hinojosa)
    Don’t be afraid to acquire another teams blocked/forgotten prospect and give them a legit shot.

I would love it if Houston could swing a trade for Josh Lowe to play CF.

18. MrBear1

No way they are trading Lowe

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Forrest Whitley is #40 on MLB.com’s new 2021 Top 100 list. He is the only Astros prospect on the list.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Recap...hoping I didn't miss any ranking.
    Whitley

BA 80
    BP 69
    MLB 40
    Law 29
    FanGraphs TBD
    Average: 54.5

Pena

BA NR
    BP 82
    MLB NR
    Law NR