1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 1/20/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We don't have to fight over anything but I think the difference between losing on purpose and failing to win is big enough to merit having their own meanings and not be the same thing.

It makes a huge difference. Minny would trade for example to improve their team because they want to win games now...while Detroit would sell off players like Blake Griffin because they want to tank. I just think there is a huge difference between a tanking team.

Even if it has the same effect it can still be different. Sprinting and Jogging are both running and have the same effect on your body but there is a difference if someone says "I am sprinting," and "I am jogging."

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is also no need for blatant tankathon, the thing you obviously detest.

The new lottery increases the chances of the 4th worst or the 5th worst record drastically.

That itself will change the notion of 'Tanking'.

You could easily give effort in half of the games, and give up in blowouts.

In deeper drafts, you can get an Allstar with the 7th pick or the 11th pick.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the game. did we win?

BossHogg713 and TWS1986 like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I do think the notion of tanking is lessening because Silver detests it as much...

Silver hates it so much he forced Hinkie out of the NBA and made the Pelicans play Anthony Davis. You even mention the word tank and you are getting a 500k fine from the NBA.

As a result, I think you will see most teams go the route that OKC is going. Doing what they can to be competitive, sell of players they develop for draft picks, and hope you get lucky. I think this is the same thing we're doing now and I don't think it's tanking. It's more just threading water and as our GM has said, being flexible.

So hey, if the Twolves get desperate and want to trade a top 5 protected pick to us for Gordon/Tucker, you're there for it...if Ja Morant hates Memphis and demands to get traded and we're on the list...you're there with assets for it too.

I've been saying there is no need for a tankathon, that's my thing, we can still finish like 8th worst and get lucky or we can finish the worst team and get unlucky...which is doubly unlucky for us because if we just drafted 5th we'd just shrug and make the best of it but if we land at 5 now well then OKC gets the pink.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing about OKC is they have become a defensive team after Scott Brooks left who isn't really a defensive coach.......

Not everyone can do what OKC does, lol.

Defense wins you games, even if that's just an average defensive effort, you can see that now, even with no real superstar just yet.

They hang their hats on Defense, and they are proud of it.

The Rockets struggled with inconsistent Defense for the most part of the Harden era....they had some good defenses too.

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Yep sure did. Both teams played hard. Consummate professionals on both sides.

GradyMcTracy and Jontro like this.
  7. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I know I said this in the bulls game but I will say it again. Boogie and Mac should not be on the floor at the same time. Too many holes on defense.

I am impressed however with the defense being so strong without PJ Tucker. Makes me feel much better that we can still be a good defensive team even if we trade him. (perhaps Tucker/Exum/picks for AG??)

In addition, I would like for coach silas to consider at times going small for certain parts of the game like when the team played the kings and obivousy that helped us win the game. I think our defense can elevate if we see a lineup of Oladipo, Gordon, Brown, Nwaba, and Tate. And add Tucker to the mix. We have some elite defensive players, i think we should maximize them when CWood is getting rest on the bench.

I know its frustrating but I still see some really good flashes of the team coming back on multiple double digit leads against the Bulls and Suns while playing rookies and guys who don't even know the offense. Plus having 9 new line ups in the 13 games. Its tough but I think we can breakthrough.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  8. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

This team had a hard start in the season with all the harden stuff swirling around. we never had all our guys together. silas played nearly every game another starting 5.

are we a contender ...hell no.
    are the playoffs possible...of course.
    cousins and mclemore are bad at the moment. dipo is new, wall, cousins, tate, wood...so many new guys. they need time to develop and time to play as a team.

Our BC with wall and dipo/EG could be very good. also our wings with tate, tucker, house. Biggest concern is our Center position on the defensiv end.

18pbr likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

as long as both played hard and everyone is happy. then really, there are no losers

TWS1986 and London'sBurning like this.
  10. riko

riko Member

Honeymoon period for Silas is over. He has not been good. The half court offense looks terrible.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He has a roster of vets who haven’t played in years and some rookies.

ak99999 likes this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Haha I hate to break it to you but this Rockets team making the playoffs is as likely as John Wall playing more than half the games until the end of the season.

13. riko

riko Member

The positioning and half court sets are terrible.It’s isolation plays or three point shots. What happend to his so called motion offense. The rest of the time we score of broken plays. Some of it is lack of it talent but bad coaching as well.

Not even going to get his head scratching rotations

BigShasta and ak99999 like this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

totally, everything is fine.

GradyMcTracy and Jontro like this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Silas rotation made no sense. He put a trash lineup out there in the fourth quarter for too long and that was the game.

ElPigto and BossHogg713 like this.
  16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

new players - injuries - no training camp / practice time

Victor hasn’t even had 3 practices so Ofcourse all he running is PnR and Iso

Gordon runs a lot of ISO

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The guys played tough! They were "battlin".

We'll get them next year! I mean next game! ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What the hell is Silas doing with the rotations? Most pivotal moment of the game start of the 4th, and he trots out all reserves? Get a starter or two in there, geez. Just killed our momentum.

BigShasta likes this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Go somewhere else then, why subject yourself to this torture? What Brooklyn's excuse? They lost to the Cavaliers lol. We are rebuilding.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. riko

riko Member

Excuses