1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Suns @ Rockets 1/20/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

WHETHER YOU TAKE ANY OF THOSE GUYS AWAY OR ADD MINUTES WE ARE STILL LOSING MOST GAMES. Do you understand now? We lose WITH OR WITHOUT our main guys. On our last win, EGO, WALL AND DIPO DIDNT PLAY.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh I understand...I think you're missing that the argument isn't about how good/bad the team is but if the franchise should tank for the next year or two.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coincidental tanking is also tanking.

It's just semantics, fertitta or fritatta.

Flatout taking sounds worse, admittedly, but it also gets the job done.

HP3 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Honestly I really don’t understand why everyone is so afraid. It silly.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

It wont benefit us, it'll benefit OKC. That's the point.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

You don’t know that.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

How will it change the outlook when the pick goes to OKC?

It's like selling your house to buy neighborhood lotto tickets or something. How many people are gonna sell their house to go for that 50-50?

Like I said if we own the pick you can def make the argument to tank esp since the draft is deep AF but we only have 50% to keep the pick. I dont really like cashing in assets like Wood and Dipo just to benefit OKC in the end and thats assuming we do stay top 4 worst or worse.

#1327 roslolian, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's 48-52% of that worse case scenario happening. You hated Harden trade cuz thats gambling but that gamble leaves you with something no matter what. This type of gamble can give you nothing and benefit your opponent.

9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We literally dont have a choice lol. I think you guys see this team as different than it is. We are not the warriors. Maybe if we had Harden still we could sit Harden and you can say we are tanking but as of now this team as constructed will be a lottery team regardless of who we play. Unless Wall and Oladipo all of a sudden become their former selves. Which I hope happens and im not saying it cant happen but its highly unlikely so the argument over whether or not we should tank is mute lol With the guys being so on or off from game to game you have no idea what combination of players and minutes means youre tanking. But yeah sure lets say we're tanking so we feel better about losing every game lol

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I suspect by deadline we are just gonna trade guys for picks because as I said we suck.

HP3 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hysteria/Anxiety won't change anything.

I still think the Rockets are not a bad team, average or below average yes.

You can see that based on points differential, everything is so close.

Even at their best with Chris Paul, they had stretches or quarters where they were bad.

I'd much rather have the Cleveland record but it is what it is.

12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

My question is what does tanking look like on this team? How would you go about tanking?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no point in having Eric Gordon, guy just takes a lot of attempts.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

I could care less. It’s worth the risk. OKC has a boat load of picks anyways and Sam presto is a wizard

15. HP3

HP3 Member

You play cousins and Macklemore a lot more lmao

Joe Rocket likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

We still have time though we can still rank

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Scared money don’t make money. That is all lol.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LOL But what if Cousins gets better and Mac's shot comes back lol Objectively I dont think that moves the needle in any direction. we suck regardless of who you play more lol I think you guys are just not used to being bad that you forgot. Actually even the Scola - Martin teams were better than this one. SO you would have to go waaaay back decades to get to a place where we're as bad as we are now lol.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hard disagree. That's just sucking.

Tanking has always been when teams try to lose on purpose to improve their draft stock.

If you're trying to win and failing then you're just failing. Not tanking. Wolves are not tanking, they were really trying to make the playoffs this year same for Wizards that traded their pick in order to trade for Westbrook.

Flatout tanking doesn't just get the job done either. People keep ignoring that it usually doesn't work and takes a lot of luck for it to work. Like, this is the part that people are ignoring. There is no guarantee that if you tanke for 2 years you will get a franchise player.

People talk about the 6ers but they are forgetting all the busts Philly drafted. Fultz, simmons, Okafor, MCW, Embiid...most of these players are busts. That represents 5 years and for them to hit on two is already pushing it. At the time, most of these seemed like good picks too.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People hold on to old language.

It's true that tanking stood for that but now you can say you do not play Defense.

It has the same effect actually.

We are incapable of playing good D, simple as that.

If you want to fight over some understanding of a word.

Please but let's stand united would be my maxim.

The NBA is too good among mediocre teams. They are all mediocre but with younger talents.

Morant is coming back.

(See the Cavs last night)

#1340 daywalker02, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    HP3 likes this.