1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

I am actually still thinking of the old way of the worst team guaranteed the top 3 spots and 25% weighted and the next teams in line are also heavily weighted. Not used to having to look at the lottery in any given year (thanks to Harden).

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Exactly! At this point the Rockets could be back relevant by next season if they are just willing focus on the future for the next 5 months. The 20/21 season ends May 16th. So if the Rockets focus on making deals which flip veterans (Dipo & PJ primarily) and then give as much PT as possible to Wood, Tate and Jones (along with whatever they get for Oladipo and Tucker) they would firmly be in the mix for a franchise player in the draft to match up with the young, seasoned players from the current team. 5 months of basketball where the focus is on development rather than winning is worth the payoff of a team built for an extended contending window.

GotGame15 and JMAD21 like this.
  3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

To be honest with you I would be even more aggressive than that. By the time this team is really relevant Christian Woods is going to be 30 years old ... I’m still stunned that we got him for so cheap for a little over 40 million over three years that is a very team friendly contract and I would imagine that he has by far the most value on the team. I would be trying to unload him right now for a Kings ransom

Lloyd Estacio and HP3 like this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have been on the fence about Wood. On the one hand I dont expect that he is going to age well given his build. On the other hand he is on a bargain deal for what should be his peak years. If I were offered a great deal I'd give it more than a little thought. These are the types of deals I would make if I were Stone to get the rebuild fully underway:

PJ
    https://tradenba.com/trades/S1VljxczM

Dipo
    https://tradenba.com/trades/STSmWoiGs

Deals like these net the Rockets multiple pieces under the age of 25. Each of whom would be much more likely to be around than any of the players the Rockets are trading when the Rockets are contenders. And it increases the chance of getting that top 4 pick all the while helping TF pay his bills.

HP3 likes this.
  5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Ok I’m a little confused.

Is this years swap top 3 protected? Or top 4 protected??

this would make a big difference regarding the lottery if we do go into tank mode

HP3 and BamBam like this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

top 4

HP3 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It's crazy how we had to trade Harden just to be looking for a true #1/franchise centerpiece type player.

8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Who has more trade value - wood on his 3 years - 41 million or Victor And his expiring contract ?

I’m hoping both are traded... what type of haul hypothetically do you think they could get for both of their services???

I’m curious what the common consensus is

HP3 likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Trade everyone except the young guys on cheap contracts.

luckyman76 and HP3 like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

This is going to be a busty pick

HP3 likes this.
  11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Wood with a busted ankle... Dipo looking like an exceptional tank commander.. maybe we got a shot at this!

Trackwell likes this.
  12. Chamillionaire

On a serious note, it would be awesome if we were able to get a top 3 pick this year. Keep the pick and get a blue-chip player.

13. dmoneybangbang

Phew that was close.........

[​IMG]

RustyHarden likes this.
  14. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Im all for tanking, but the hard-headed rocket fan in me will still watch these uglies losing.

15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Watchem tank for the 4th pick and screw it up and get the 5th pick to okc lol

16. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Tanking would imply that we're trying to lose on purpose

Trust me, we're trash regardless.

Hoping for a #1 pick because Cade has superstar potential

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Sadly true

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It’s really quite simple guys... Who’s in a better place right now? Dallas or SA?

SA is hellbent on staying competitive as long as Pop is on the sidelines so they're destined to barely miss the playoffs until they strike gold somehow! Dallas ate **** for two years, picked a generational talent and are poised to be a mainstay in the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

Just suck for one ****ing year! If we can get Cade, the hard part is over! He’s worth the risk!

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ideally, they'll be competitive in 4 years, and those picks in 5, 6, and 7 years from now will be gold.

Trackwell likes this.
  20. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Me 2

HP3 likes this.