1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Oladipo's Bird Rights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 19, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can someone with knowledge explain to my simpleton ass the value of having Vic's bird rights?

Would a quasi-contending team like Miami/Denver/etc value the ability to go over the cap to sign Vic to a max?

I keep hearing people say that "He can just walk in FA so he doesn't have significant trade value at the deadline...".

Is that true? Or would a team be willing to pay up in a trade so that cap isn't an issue, as opposed to having to clear room in FA.

Thanks El Dudes...

saleem, hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

For anyone signing above the mid level exception, you will need bird rights or cap space.

It’s basically impossible for Denver to get the necessary cap space.

Miami can get the cap space, but would have to waive half of its roster.

Therefore, bird rights have value to those teams that would be interested in re-signing Oladipo. In fact, if his intention is to go to a contender and get paid, it’s pretty much the only way it’s going to happen.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, I would assume a contender like the Heat would offer more for Oladipo so they don't have to waive half their roster just to sign him. The price should be higher if all parties involved know that Oladipo will resign with whichever contender he is traded to. He would be a huge upgrade for Denver as well as Miami and allows them to put a more complete roster with more 2 way players that can actually bring it on both ends of the court at a near star or star level.

4. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

^^ This. Most of the contending teams have high payrolls. In order to get oladipo in FA and give hima max deal they would have to almost deplete much of their rosters. If its through trade..the rockets can use the TPE of 10.2 million to take on additional salary as well. So a team with his bird rights would most definitely have the edge in signing him long term to the deal he wants...I think Denver, Miami, Utah, Knicks, Raptors, Mavericks..will have significant interest...as far as compensation goes...when there is a bidding war and desperation sets in teams will give up more...if oladipo plays well till the deadline he will just keep upping that value

RudyTBag and Stephen_A like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Getting 1st Round Picks for Victor Oladipo is more important because a Huge Lack of Depth at Forwards and Center Positions.

If the Rockets can Showcase a Healthy Eric Gordon, P.J Tucker, I hope the Rockets get more Picks for them. There are more Contenders in the East.

Their is no length at Forward, Constantly getting out rebounded and not scoring.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Woods/ Cousins
    Ironically we need a Covington type player here
    Rotation of Tate/House/ and that new guy
    Olidipo/Gordan
    A Healthy Wall/ Brown

We need a stud shooter/ scorer.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Oladipo is a SG. Herro is a MIA guard.

[​IMG]

Git-r-done Stone.

csnerd84 likes this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No stop lol

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You know I never even thought of it lol.
    You guys are right. Players retain bird rights even if traded away. I thought Rockets were just dumping his contract after the season or using him to get more assets. But bird rights change the game if a team get assurances he retains his services. Interesting. It’s a win win I suppose. Re sign him through bird rights that doesn’t count against the cap and acquire another major star through a trade or free agency. Good move stone and management team.

RudyTBag and DCHAMP like this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

To certain extend, your analysis sounds promising.

But you have just missed the reality.

The reality is : the Rockets is going to suck, and probably going to suck for years to come.

So even he may not have an easy path to sign with a great contender, what makes you believe that he will choose to sign with the Rockets (even assume Tilman will give him a max contract) as comparing to the Knicks?

So the reality is : whatever the extra one year of bird right can allow the Rockets to offer him is meaningless as it will make more sense for him to seek for a 3+1 player option highest paid contract.

And if he will want to take a max like the Knicks, which almost 90-95% of the players will always look for the money first, then bird rights means nothing.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So basically Stone will have 2 options now :

1. negotiate with him for an extension if they believe on him being a foundation.

2. try to trade him before the deadline.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pretty much the same situation Chris Paul and the Rockets were in when he helped get himself here.

teams that are too close to the cap get to salvage some players if they trade THEN sign. Problem is that Vic isn’t super MAX extension eligible

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That article drastically understates our potential leverage, though. Assuming Vic has a "max or nothing mother f*****er" approach like Chandler Parsons, Miami would likely to have to get rid of everyone on their roster but Bam and Jimmy to sign him, including Herro, and would have to fill out the rest of their roster spots with minimum salary vets other than those 3 spots. If Vic plays out of his mind and Miami really wants him we've got a good bit of leverage to demand something good, maybe even Herro, since whatever we ask for will be less than Miami would lose clearing the room to sign him outright.

Miami losing Herro but keeping Robinson, Nunn, Precious, Dragic, etc. is obviously better than losing all of them and losing Herro anyways. So them being able to clear room does give them some leverage, but not all that much unless Dipo is willing to sign for a decent bit below the max. The leverage is more whether or not they really want him and whether we can call them on that.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It seems to me that you are missing the point.

If the Rockets have any hints that they can lose him for nothing, they will assuredly create a bidding war before the trade deadline amongst contenders who value is bird rights. (All of them would seemingly value that...)

16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i still cant see them giving up herro for him... how much better is oladipo than herro ? especially when you consider he can get much better, AND still on a rookie deal. herro gives them much more flexibility. if they sign and max oladipo, its like they are pretty much saying this is it. this is the squad we will have to try and win a title. i dont think hes good enough enough to be the 2nd best player on a championship team and i dont think the heat do either.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This is more what I am thinking.

Heat could have Oladipo/Butler/Bam locked up, with the ability to go chase another star. Scary...

joshuaao likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'm of the mind that Victor Oladipo is significantly better than Tyler Herro. I am also of the mind that Pat Riley doesn't want 1 more star, he wants 2 more. Victor at 20m can be had for cheap right now, and they can still attack another team for another big piece.

I think Beal is higher on their priority list, however. That could be the wrench that does us in.

joshuaao and saleem like this.
  19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

They'll have that "Big 3" but wouldn't be able to really go after anyone else who would require big money. It's more adding Dipo to their current roster less whatever we demand in a trade, then after that being able to add through trades/exceptions/etc.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Goran, Kelly, Iggy and Meyers is already 55 million. Avery makes it 60 million.

I think Pat Riley is going to wiggle Oladipo in there for his 20 million, and then attempt to cash in on a Pascal or someone like that with whatever remains.

ChillyPete32 likes this.