1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long until Wood can get traded

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wulaw Horn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never questioned his talent just saw the red flags about his punctuality and his cocky behavior when he was a nobody.

Well, well, if he can string up 3 seasons of borderline Allstar play, he has me in his pocket. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Other teams do that all the time man. Tate and Woods arent some massive successful young players that are gonna blow the league away. Woods and Tate are likely above average role players who when their contract is up will go to contending teams or places that will pay them.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Even if we go full tank, you keep Wood and pay him near max or max if he learns how to play defense in the next two years. Wall’s contract will be expiring the same time as Wood’s. We’ll have plenty of money to throw at him and anyone else. He’ll be the perfect age at 27/28 if we’re finally ready to contend in three years. There’s no reason to trade him for picks or a younger, raw player unless he doesn’t improve at all

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So other teams with 0 draft picks find rotational players all the time?

I don't even understand why you want to tank when you think we can't even keep a player like Wood.

5. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Tate could very well be an above average role player but C Wood? Christian is already a top 5 center in the NBA. Since I know you and "math boy" love stats so much here are some stats for Wood. 23.2 PPG, 10.9 REB, 1.9 BLK, 22.67 PER. Which ranks him 3rd among active centers in PPG, 7th among active centers in REB, 3rd among active centers in BLK, and 6th among active centers in PER. Good enough for at least the 5th best center in the NBA based on the numbers. 20-10 centers that can shoot the three, with a crossover dribble, and put the ball on the floor and go coast to coast to the basket don't grow on trees little buddy. We've consistently been a top 8 spender in the league every year Fertita has owned the team. Although TF is broke he's not stupid, I seriously doubt he's just going to let a top 5 (keep in mind that Wood is in the first year of a 3 year deal and will probably only get better, so in 2 years Wood might even be a top 3 center) center walk in free agency without offering him the max. That would be a really stupid business decision and hate Tilman or love him he's definitely a businessman first. I think you are trying to spread a false narrative that we won't pay C Wood when there has not been any proof of that.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Teams find rotational players not in the draft. It’s nothing unheard of. They are good pick ups but they also don’t match our timeline.

Is Woods worth paying the Max in 3 years, how good do you expect him to be? Do you think we will pay him what he asks for?
    Okay let’s go through centers/big men whatever. Is Woods better than Jokić, Embiid, AD, Gobert,KAT, Bam Adebayo, Porzingis, Sabonis?

7. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

ACTIVE CENTERS..Marc Gasol is the Lakers center not AD. Sabonis is not a center either, Myles Turner. Porzingis just came back. I said "BASED ON THE NUMBERS". So Now The Numbers Don't Matter? Is that what you're saying? It's so hard having any kind of logical conversation with you. So based on bullshit advanced impact metrics that you tried to quote the other day Simmons is a franchise player even though he only averages 12 PPG. But C Wood who is top 7 or better at every notable stat for his position is not a top a 5 center? You flip flop to whatever your narrative is. LMAO, dude we don't have to continue this conversation anymore man. It's impossible trying to talk with you about anything... smh

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Man we are like what 9 games into the season? Why would you want me to see numbers from a small sample size? What would you like me to tell you? That Woods is gonna be all nba this year. I can’t do that.

#168 HP3, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Don't worry about it bro, you good.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It probably is best you stay away from the numbers my man, just stick with your feelings and hope people listen to you because it’s what you say.

Per game numbers and PER? It’s 2021, not 2000.

11. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Whatever you say "math boy". You become a NBA front office executive yet? Asking for a friend....

12. HP3

HP3 Member

For what its worth I hope he does become that good and I hope it happens fast.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Children understand the concept that per game numbers aren’t exactly all that informative these days. Doesn’t take an NBA execs mind to grasp concepts like efficiency, possessions, usage and minutes played all play a big factor in how numbers are accumulated.

Westbrook is routinely a top per game scorer in the league. Children know that he is a TERRIBLE scorer.

So when you list off a few per game box score numbers and pass it off as “notable” numbers that prove Wood has been without a doubt a top 5 center this year I will just say if again. It’s best if you just leave the numbers game alone and stick with your eyeballs and feelings.

Wood has been really good. More than worth his contract. Shown absolute flashes of future possible greatness, but he is not there yet at all.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While that is true Stone seems to have found a few in one off season.

We don't have a timeline right now either. We don't have a franchise player so we have no timeline.

Is wood worth the max? Don't know. This is not a question the Rockets even have to worry about right now. We'll revisit this question when it is necessary to do so. The Rockets have 2 full seasons to determine his worth.

If Wood is worth the max he'll prove it. If not, oh well, then we can determine if we should move, trade, or if he wants to stay here for whatever they can agree on.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Have you not heard? He’s a mix of AD, The Dream and newly discovered KD. The ultimate NBA machine.

HP3 likes this.
  16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Based off what? More of your bullshit "advanced impact metrics" that you yourself don't fully understand or can't even calculate? Stating stupid ass valuations that Lou Williams is a top 10 player in the league LMAO? But yet you are so quick to tote Kevin Pelton's WARP figures around like there the "gospel" from Heaven because you feel like you are the smartest poster on the board right? I guess hiding behind FAKE ass numbers really do help unathletic scrub guys that never played basketball a day in there life's feel better about themselves. News flash it's a lot of guys like you on YouTube and other places rambling off all kind of bullshit ass stats that have never been verified by anyone. But we're just supposed to take whatever anyone claims as an "advanced impact metric" numbers and just run with them right? Maybe some of these other guys will buy into your BS, but not me bro. You're not special bro, by no means. I used basic per game stats because most people are going to understand those numbers and for the simple fact I'm not in front of a computer and was using the ESPN app which allows you to sort by position. I try not to talk over people's heads (unlike yourself) on this site because I know most of these guys here are casual fans that only watch the Rockets. So you actually want us to believe that per game averages don't matter at all? Those are the MOST IMPORTANT numbers, you use those numbers to get "advanced stats". This is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard on this site, per game numbers are not "NOTABLE". What NBA, NFL, MLB front office executive is not going to start their player evaluation by NOT looking at PER GAME NUMBERS FIRST? The scary part is that you really really really believe you are so smart , LMAO. But there's really no need in the back and forth with us at all anymore man. You don't have to pull some advanced stat out your ass to prove your point, you don't have to go on one of your long ass typical rants, in fact you don't even have to respond back to me ever again on this site.

#176 Htown's Finest, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

I don’t see what wrong with tanking this season then man. If there are so many unknown variables why not tank? There is no reason not to? If even for one season. We need the franchise player.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Cool bro. Bro ya later.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why are you mentioning Westbrook and Wood in the same post? Westbrook is inefficient. Wood is pretty darn efficient minus what he's been doing at the FT line this year. Wood is doing pretty much what we hoped he would and somehow that's a bad thing?

Terrible arguments there. I think @Htown's Finest still has you on this one.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Man, seeing this thread title is just depressing. Now that Harden's gone, Wood's play is providing the only joy I'm getting out of this season. He's only 26.