1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Back to college! Tips/advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by XBLRocketman111, Jan 17, 2021.

1. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

Headline says it all. I’m heading to college. 36 years old and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. If anyone has any advice or tips that could help in the process I would appreciate it. Haven’t posted on clutchfans for almost 10 years but I’m back and better than ever and also ready to start college... maybe! Lol

I’m starting my first semester going for my Associates in Science with the hope of coaching basketball/football one day. I would like to get my bachelors in sports management when it’s all said and done. I’m taking that first step and I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty scared! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Take advantage of Advisors
    Take advantage of Internships
    Take advantage of Open Door policies of Professors.

... did I say, take advantage of Advisors

don't be "scared." your seriousness of purpose and focus is what will set you apart from the 19-22 yr old crowd who have mixed priorities. Nothing wrong with asking for advice from the pros during your new journey

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Get laid. Can’t beat college puss

Jontro and Astrodome like this.
  4. XBLRocketman111

Yes absolutely, unfortunately with everything that's going on I haven't been able to sit down and actually speak with anyone. Its all been done through email correspondence, which is a little frustrating in itself. hopefully soon though, I'll be able to sit down and map out my pathway.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That sounds incredibly immature, but ya......I wasn't married at 36, and I can only imagine the trouble I'd get into in a college setting. Holy cow. Tell 'em you're 28.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In person or online?

Jontro likes this.
  7. XBLRocketman111

combination of both. The VA requires at least one course in person. I’m taking 2 in person and 2 online.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Not an advice more just an observation.

People who are older that goes to college have high motivation. They know why they're there. Versus an 18 year old who still may be exploring and haven't figured it out yet. Less likely to goof off, over-party, or skip morning classes.

I remember being in group projects with a person that had some gap years (working experience), came back to school. His perspective and motivation was higher than the regular kids.

Young college kids also can be shy. So they don't always take advantage of their Professor's open office hours or tutor resources. As HeyPartner mentioned, try to make good use of those. See if there are mentors you can bond with, expand your your networks. If there are class projects that let you pick a topic, pick ones that you think will shine on your résumé. Networking can include your potential classmates, as if they land a good gig; they may help you as referral down the road.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I went back about the same age to finish and did it all online. Much, much more efficient that way, to me.

Interesting that the VA actually cares in 2021.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

college bebes teh bestest

11. Buck Turgidson

I have no advice that should be given out on a public forum, other than to say *what you're doing is seriously awesome*

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  12. Aware

Aware Member

Dont even stress, man.
    At 36 you probably wont even be the oldest student in a lot of classes.

Just handle your business.

Yung-T likes this.