1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 start preparing now:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 17, 2021.

1. rockets13champs

2024 Devin Booker and Towns are free agents. We need to start prepping to acquire one of them to pair with wood in 2022 via trade then the other must come in free agency.

suns: Chris Paul’s contract runs out for the Suns in 2022. So Devin Booker in the summer of 2022 if he doesn’t get what he wants will be requesting a trade in 2022-2023 time frame for sure right before his free agency in 2024. Suns will look to cash in and start rebuilding. If Wood is a very respectable player in the league in that time (God willing) we can pair Wood and Booker (via trade) in summer of 2022. Along with using that 2022 lottery pick on a nice rookie. Then be really good between 2023-2024 and go for Towns in free agency in 2024 summer.

Each nba “era” is between 3-5 years. So we must look for windows. 2024 is the year we return to top 2-3 teams in nba. We must start preparing for our plan A option. This is what top organizations do. They prepare years ahead

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're going to get a lot "Nah bro, Tilman, we will suck forever and ever and ever." quitter posts.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, and regardless of those specific names, we need to not waste any of these three years since from 2024 we'll starting giving picks and swaps to OKC, we need to maximize the freedom we have in terms of asset managment, and we need to start now, otherwise we'll find ourselves in 2024 stuck with a mediocre team gifting picks to OKC year after year until 2027.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think we can make moves in the draft to get better players. Besides neither one of them impress me as top 10-15 players

5. rockets13champs

I actually think our rebuild is a lot better than post Tmac/Yao era Bc we got something back for Harden, Westbrook. We literally got back garbage for Tmac and Yao retired so we got back nothing. We will be at the top again very shortly

6. rockets13champs

They are 24 right now. After Anthony Davis who is 26 I don’t see that many complete top 5 nba players who were drafted after 2012 zion included.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right. Right now I feel fine about it.

We have a lot of draft picks, they don't have value yet but they could and so far the people Stone has put on the court have overachieved.

Not just Wood putting up all-star numbers but Mason Jones, Tate, Brown, if he can find gems like this we'll be just fine moving forward.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Towns is soft cheese. There will hopefully be younger and more interesting stars than him in 3 years. Besides, we have Wood, we need a hard-nosed big with him. And superstar guards (and point forward Lebron) are what keep teams consistent and effective in the playoffs. Booker is a top flight #2 but not a floor general.

Theres no point in chasing stars until you find your cornerstone. Those guys dont grow on trees. We knew we just traded ours and its going to be a while to reset. This could be another Steve Francis-TMac 10 year stretch.

rockets13champs and whiskeyred like this.
  9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I just hope we don't act like Boston and treat these picks as untouchable. Rockets are actually set up with players and picks that could be useful in future deals.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Embrace the tank.

Highlyrated likes this.
  11. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I was wondering if the Rockets should create 2 Max slots.. but I didn't want to start a thread on it..

Highlyrated likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2022 Seems like a Good year.
    Good development for Wood/Tate/Brown/Jones/Nwaba
    and
    Time to pick up some good pieces elsewhere

Depends on who we want.
    If we can hook our guys into low contracts
    the Max contracts will have good support.

Rocket River

Ben Frank likes this.
  13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Sign max player and then sign James Harden for the vet minimum when he's 33-35. One can dream right? Maybe I should go buy the lotto today.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Arguably we were Tier 3 contenders with Yao and Mac.

We were tier 2 contenders with CP3 and the bearded one for exactly 1 year.

We were never on top other than with the Dream.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

we were contenders in 08/09

health just (expectedly) bit us in the ass

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hopefully by then De'Aaron Fox will have started feeling uneasy about his future in Sacramento. We then dangle our unprotected '26 pick as well as Mason Jones, who's developed into a starter-level guard, to bring in Fox and pair him with All-star forward Christian Wood.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, somewhere extended circle.

AB0 to the rescue.

18. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'm not a fan of those 2.

I think we are looking at hopefully a very deep 2022 class to vault us into contention. Then filling in the rotation.

I'm keen for
    20-21 season play it out.
    21 offseason Trade Wall Gordon House for what we can get. Don't give away assets. Take on 2 years of salary if necessary.
    22 offseason awesome draft class take on expiring contracts if they throw in assets.
    23 offseason check out where the team is l. Did we hit on draft picks. If we did then trade/sign talent, to make a rotation.

Brogdon & Turner will be unrestricted then trying to steal the 2 Pacers would provide awesome Spacing & Defence.

Turner
    Wood. (22/23 draft)
    Tate
    (22/23 draft ). Nwaba/Brown
    Brogdon (22/23 draft)

That would be nice.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I like Towns offensive game but he will never win anything as the #1 or 2 option. He has to play a Chris Bosh role if he wants to win a ring.

Booker is a good target if we're trying to get future superstar through FA but I doubt he leaves the Suns unless they somehow become incompetent again in 4 years, they look good this year.

Also, I thought we were trying to draft our superstar through a rebuild? I'd give Stone a couple chances at picking in the lottery before we give up drafting completely. He's already shown this season he has an eye for talent judging by the undrafted players we're currently fielding.

The 21' and 22' draft class are pretty stacked according to scouts so we'll see what happens. Hopefully we get lucky with our pick this year (I'm praying OKC is as bad as possible this year so we keep our pick).

20. rockets13champs

He’s still going to be very good when he’s 33-35