1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 1/16/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

My friend, I think we are discussing different things. As a Rockets fan I like to win, always. But now is the time to think about the future of the franchise. This is a short season, with a new GM and with many transactions on the way.
    My point is that we should not get nervous if the strategy is to keep our selection in the next draf (top four), which from my point of view is the correct strategy.

BasketMAD likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If the Rockets are one of the four worst teams, they would have a 50% of their pick falling to #5.

You CAN NOT tank this year. You can't waste a full year with a 50/50 chance to lose your top 10 pick.

You go for the playoffs this year. You re-evaluate on March 25 and you make moves from there.

hakeem94, joshuaao, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Maybe just maybe if Tucker could make a couple of threes we could have won the game.
    Rebounding, defense and free throws were crap.

What is wrong with tucker?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Not with all those injury-prone old dudes. Meanwhile, Tucker is putting his body on the line with every possession and still playing every game.

5. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

You're talking like this is a super team that is going to sacrifice a season with star players in his prime. This team is already in the bottom of the conference, without star players and with many transactions to do.
    Again, I'm not talking about tanking, I'm talking about developing the young players we have without pressure and letting management make the changes that are necessary. And if that allows us to have a chance to select in a good position in the draft, great.

daywalker02 and HP3 like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I’m proud of the effort. I think this was probably Wood’s best game as a Houston Rocket. He defended the rim well. His offense was excellent. Being underhanded and inexperienced hurt us in the end. Jones can develop into a consistent player off the bench with experience.

hakeem94 and Amel like this.
  7. OpportunityCost

I was most encouraged by the offensive set they were running in the 1st half that netted us some easy buckets with back-cuts. I hope that continues and Silas keeps adding more to the scheme.

I think the guys were tired. It will be nice to get more reinforcements with Wall, Gordon, Cousins, and Oladipo. I just hope they continue the trend of unselfish team-ball.

Mason looks like he could be a decent back-up for Wall. Kmart made some mistakes and seemed nervous maybe, but he's exciting. The refs were allowing them to foul us alot today. Nwaba should shoot less 3s?

hakeem94 and Imanimal like this.
  8. jacoby

jacoby Member

Can someone explain why Wall, Cousins, Gordon and Oladipo were out?

Also, is House still hurt? Coach said last week he woke up with a bad back.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think all of this is super fishy.

DD

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He spent the whole summer getting fat instead of getting into shape. Kinda like me.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wall is coming back from a serious injury so any kind of soreness and they will/should play it safe.

Gordon has some injury, not sure.

Cousins has had an ankle injury.

Oladipo's trade cleared today so he should play Monday.

I have no idea what's going on with House.

bmelo and jacoby like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

He's in the studio furthering his rap career. Let the man live.

BelgianRocketsFan and JayGoogle like this.
  13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

House probably trying to do his best James Harden impersonation and stepping back for a trade request.

14. ClutchCity9495

I thought today the biggest difference besides a short bench which effects you fatigue wise is the lack of Sterling Brown. I know, right, not a star on this team, but he has shot the ball well and would have opened things up more today along with Mason Jones. Sterling Brown really been a valuable role player and a good fit. I like to see him and Jones on the floor together for spacing to help Wood. If Tucker would have hit shots, and we would have shot better from free throw line, which again can be fatigue issue, we could have won this game. Effort was there, I also think the new fella was quite tired not expecting to play and just got off the plane. And did House get the virus? He must have because he has been out longer then just a contract trace issue. Self Isolation this long must mean he got it, and will need cardio clearance as well when over the virus.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  15. riko

riko Member

No more Gordon and less wall. This team has no shot at the playoffs anyway so it’s time to Develop Mason, more minutes for Brown as well .

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

you also cannot convince Wood to come here, then try to lose. No free agent will trust you again.
    Same story with Boogie, though less important.

ashleyem and treyk3 like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Exactly, it's not even mediocrity. It's a playoff team. The Kings and Timberwolves would kill to make the playoffs after a decade of tanking.

Everyone acts like the playoffs and championships and superstars are guaranteed only if the Rockets tank. For every Jayson Tatum at 3 there are a dozen Johnny Flynn at 6. Miami rebuilt their team in the way we would be doing. A playoff team who retains flexibility. All we can hope for is that Harden/Kyrie/KD all decide to opt out and move on after 2021/ 2022. If that happens, the Nets are screwed.

Compete now, see what the team has.

Just because James Harden is gone and a player of his caliber is likely not coming through that door doesn't mean the Rockets should just throw in the towel.

John Wall/ Oladipo/ Wood is too good of a core to just say lose games on purpose. See what you have. Try to get a young star somehow without tanking (Michael Porter Jr. is and should be target #1, use all 3 picks acquired before the Nets trade to get it done) .

is John Wall/Oladipo/Wood/MPJ not a team that could legitimately turn into a title contender within 2 or 3 years if MPJ takes the next step?

cmlmel77, ElPigto, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yup, makes you wonder why he is suddenly out. Can’t have too many good players at once we might win.

DD

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL tanking is for losers and ppl who dont know how to draft and how to develop players

and it isnt even for them because these ppl will go wrong even with the highest draft picks and even if they hit even these players dont become what they could due to trash culture

draymond.... jokic...... wood.... isaah thomas....just off the top of my head....just do your job plenty of talent amongst undrafted players let alone first and second round picks of which we have plenty

bmelo and treyk3 like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Even Steph and Klay weren't top 5 picks.

It's all a crapshoot and there's no sure fire way to get the best talent.

For every Anthony Davis there is an Andrew Wiggins (if you're lucky and it's not Anthony Bennett).

For every 20 Joey Dorseys you might find a Chandler Parsons. You just don't know. Obviously the higher the pick the better but there's no guarantees. It's why I liked the idea of Ben Simmons over a big pick collection (the Rockets clearly don't think Simmons is that guy and like MPJ more)

hakeem94 likes this.