1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. caneks

caneks Rookie

I believed that Nets would have a chance, now I don't.

2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

3. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

methinks this deal is in jeopardy. typically in such cases the nyets would have to cough up some more compensation to account for something not right in levert's physical. but in this case, nyets have literally nothing else left to give

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

James Harden traded to Brooklyn
    _______

Not so fast...

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’ll forfeit a FRP if they throw in Durant.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Joe Harris, Shamet even more picks and swaps.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Posted in one of the other threads, as well :

11. WestendMassive

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wasn’t expecting him to play until Monday but apparently will make his debut tonight...

Tip off should coincide nicely with half time.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Harden looking like a fat Earl Campbell.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Neck and neck with freaking Orlando Magic lulz

I thought Kyrie was excited to play with Harden and coming back to the team now?

15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm not sure if this has been shared yet, or if this came out in Harden's press conference, but make of it what you will...

Mike D’Antoni was a factor in Nets’ James Harden trade
    By Brian Lewis

January 16, 2021 | 7:30pm

James Harden made his Nets debut Saturday at Barclays Center. And peeling back the layers of this megadeal like layers of an onion, it’s become increasingly clear that the losses that drove him from Houston to Brooklyn weren’t just those in the playoffs, but the losses of head coach Mike D’Antoni and general manager Daryl Morey.

After the Rockets were eliminated in the NBA bubble in early September, the team parted ways with D’Antoni. The coach who had helped mold Harden into a three-time reigning scoring champion ended up in Brooklyn as new head coach Steve Nash’s assistant and mentor. Morey, the GM that brought Harden to Houston, left to become president of the 76ers.

Both men clearly advocated for a reunion with Harden. And it was D’Antoni who eventually got him, and will have an embarrassment of riches as offensive coordinator to a Big 3 of Harden, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

“Yeah, when Daryl and Mike left I sat back and reevaluated everything. Those are two guys I was very comfortable with and the decision-making for the organization,” Harden said. “Once they left, I had to figure out is this organization going into a rebuild stage or were they still trying to compete at the highest level.

“[D’Antoni] was a part of it. Mike’s an unbelievable coach. He’s been doing it for a very, very long time. Obviously Mike is a factor. Being comfortable with him being comfortable with Kevin [Durant], knowing Kyrie [Irving], just those four pieces right there made it easy. Obviously them being in Brooklyn, for me it was a no-brainer.”

Much has been made of Harden’s inability to play with stars Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook and John Wall. With the amount the Nets have invested in their Big 3, the acquisition of Harden is a gamble that could fail spectacularly.

But the man who coached him last also happens to be Nash’s mentor, and has experience with superstars and superteams. And as much as Durant pushed Nets GM Sean Marks and the rest of the front office to get Harden, it appears D’Antoni vouched for him as well.

“It is certainly beneficial having Mike,” Marks said. “It’s somebody who knows James very well and has coached him for the last couple of years, for sure.”

After giving up four players and eight draft picks or swaps (after having to toss in a second-rounder Saturday to complete the trade), this deal is going to define Marks’ tenure in Brooklyn.

But it could well heap even more pressure on Nash. He presumably listened to D’Antoni — who coached him with the Suns and Lakers — and will pick his brain on how to handle Harden.

“Mike D’Antoni’s experience with him is also extremely valuable for us,” Nash said. “You put it all together and try to give yourself a leg up when you try to assess and embark on this journey.”

It’s a leg up that, for better or worse, Houston appeared loath to give Philadelphia. Or more accurately, it’s a star who Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta was dead set against trading to Morey.

There were hard feelings after Morey left Houston to become the Sixers’ president of basketball operations. And though The Post had reported that Morey was not enamored of the players the Nets offered (Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince) for Harden, the Rockets reportedly demanded Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybulle, two draft picks (and possibly Tyrese Maxey) to consider dealing Harden to Philadelphia.

The 76ers were so sure they had a deal done and dusted that both Simmons and Thybulle were told by their agents on Wednesday of an expected trade, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. But after Marks made his pitch, Houston never called the 76ers back for a counteroffer.

The Rockets essentially played the 76ers to get the best offer they could from Brooklyn — which was where Harden was bound and determined to end up.

“Yeah, they were on top of my list,” Harden said. “But there were a few other teams involved as well; it could’ve gotten crazy. … As bad as it might’ve looked from the outside, internally they worked with me and made sure I ended up here.”

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/mike-dantoni-was-a-factor-in-nets-james-harden-trade/

D-rock and cdxiong like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

D-rock and FrontRunner like this.
  17. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Harden getting alot media attention now, they love him but hate him when he was in Houston smh.

farhen and D-rock like this.
  18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Go for it. :)

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's in the NYC media market now. those guys are gonna eat it up

D-rock, ThatboyPhuong and FrontRunner like this.
  20. conquistador#11

Calvin was right. Dude did quit.

bro2044 likes this.