1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq goes in on Harden - " you didn't give everything to the city of houston"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jan 14, 2021.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

He's entitled to his own opinion. I started following this team when we drafted Yao. From that point until the Harden-era, I was just happy to have made the playoffs. That was a huge accomplishment on it's own. Making the playoffs was the floor in the Harden era and I greatly appreciated that.

#161 lionaire, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Rocket River and Mathloom like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Harden gave plenty. Eventually we stuck him with John Wall and Cousins, lulz. We didn't give Harden enough in the end.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

It's hard to argue against a lot of those objective truths. But, why didn't that help the New Orleans Pelicans win more? Sure, he didn't have some all star team, but a top 5 player would certainly get those teams further than first round playoffs in all those years. Having LeBron on his team has certainly pumped up his perceived impact to winning basketball it seems.

Maybe you are accurately valuating Davis, but I just don't think you're valuating Harden correct to make it seem Harden is no where close to Davis.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

We just ignore the fact that Kawhi and the Toronto Raptors beat the Warriors with absolutely 0 superstars other than Kawhi? Don't people compare Harden to Kawhi all the time? Are you saying that's an unfair comparison bro?

Jturbofuel likes this.
  5. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

What about all the other times before that where he made the decision of players he wanted to play with...and they had to trade westbrook he wanted away from harden - wall was the only player they could get back

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What about game 7 against the Clippers since we are going that route?

Does the fact that he was mainly the only guy those teams had to focus on defensively have to do with anything?

How about the fact that he was the only guy who commanded a double team?

Yes he has some issues in crunchtime but Shaq has always played with a all nba caliber player like all of these other guys that he is compared to, don't you think that makes a difference?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A really dumb owner thought it was a good idea. We had no problem partnering him with Dwight or CP3 or whoever, because a good GM was calling the shots. It wasn't until a restaurant owner showed up that everything turned to ashes.

8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I'm not saying Harden is nowhere close to AD, you asked me why I thought AD was better than Harden and I answered your question didn't I? Rather you agree with me or not I gave you MY OPINION which I'm entitled to. AD never played with one other superstar on that Pelicans teams and he is playing in the West. He did get the Pelicans past the first round one time, that's more than I can say for TMac. But it's the same reason why LeBron left the Cavaliers. Harden has every right to want to leave and chase a ring. But for anyone to sit here and act like AD played with the same amount of superstars that Harden did is totally clueless and is a definite HardenOnlyFan.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He was not doubled much until 2020 in the playoffs. Sure he was the focus, but let's not like act like he didn't struggle to score in many games with 1 on 1 coverage.

I also feel like his team mates don't get enough credit for winning playoff games for us when Harden puts up dud games.

I remember Nene and Lou absolutely balling out against OKC and winning games for us when Harden was playing abysmally. Same as Dwight and Josh Smith in the Dallas series with their PnR.

Jturbofuel and ashleyem like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you gonna just ignore that Kawhi had 2 other players who had made an all nba team and 2 other guys who could be allstars or all nba?

Has Harden ever played on a team as deep as that .

This is his box score.
    40.5 .434 .357 .906 9.8 4.2 2.0 1.2 28.5

Harden has done that and better multiple times.

He is averaging about that.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not why they traded Westbrook.:rolleyes:

12. xaos

xaos Member

I read "harden certainly is not better than AD" and interpreted as Harden being no where close to AD.

Either way, you seem sensitive so I really don't care to discuss with you anymore.

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Are you a casual fan or just a HardenOnlyFan? Which one, choose now. Who wins a championship without other good/great players? But who on that Toronto is a hall of famer again other than Kawhi? Don't worry I'll wait...

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You want to pull up all the the stuff Stein has gotten wrong?

I have no idea why you think that proves something and even then Morey could have said this is who we are going after and Harden started trying to convince them.

Dwight does leave money on the table when he can make it up from Taxes and he has Kobe's foot in his ass pushing him out the door.

15. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Why was it...the owner?

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Bye Felicia

17. Milos

Milos Member

Isn't Shaq the guy that used to wait until camp started to get surgery bc he'd rather miss early season games than give up his off-season fun?

Or show up laughably out of shape and use the first 2-3 months of the reg season to get into playoff shape since Kobe could keep the team afloat until the All Star break?

Didn't he essentially force his way to Miami in the exact same fashion bc he was jealous of Kobe and refused to take the sidekick role in LA?

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stop trying to deflect with HardeOnlyFan BS.

The fact remains Harden has never played with that many caliber of near allstar and all NBA players, you know the same team that had over 50 wins with Kawhi missing over 20 games.

So now your entire point is now who was a HOF?

Really?

xaos likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of the above.

It's laughable he is trying to sound of on this.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...he didn't bother to show up to camp on time disrespecting his teammates(both new and old) and new coach to start the year, then didn't seem to put much effort into making it work(after he had to be quarantined per league rules), then used the awful start the he largely caused for the team as an example why he thought his teammates and coach weren't good enough. That's like walking into a crowded room, throwing a bunch of **** all the over the place, then accusing all the people standing there with your **** on them of stinking.

That isn't giving it your all - being a true leader is not something you do part time when it suits you and ultimately it has always been the hole in Harden's game - that he doesn't really understand how to be a leader. He gets the Xs and Os but he doesn't understand how he can raise the game of his teammates mentality to make the team better. That's what makes this so infuriating because he is soooo clueless, he doesn't even see it. This roster is at least as talented as last year's roster if not more and yet James had already given up on them.