1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq goes in on Harden - " you didn't give everything to the city of houston"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jan 14, 2021.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I only partially agree with Shaq here. Harden balled out while he was here, even in the playoffs. But the organization did hand him every single thing/player he ever wanted, and it was always Harden that ran off whoever that was one or two years later. You can't call the shots roster wise then complain "well, I did all I could, this roster aint no good." The failure Harden is complaining about is his own.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I disagree with Shaq's notion in that "doing everything for the city" means "at least one title." Sometimes, it just doesn't work out. Durant and especially Westbrook did everything they could for OKC, but couldn't bring them a title despite making the Finals once and the WCF again like, 5 years later.

No one hates Westbrook for not winning a title. No one hates KD for not winning one with OKC either - the team he eventually to is why people hate him.

joshuaao, London'sBurning and durvasa like this.
  3. Mr. Space City

You don't k now what giving your all is. The Rockets wouldn't even be in the playoffs if Harden didn't give his all to drag injury riddled teams to the playoffs every year.

JeffB likes this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

True

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How many times did the team quit when they won 1 playoff series in the 15 years before he got here?

6. Mr. Space City

Tucker never tried to get a better handle or be able to score inside or be able to shoot from anywhere other than 2 spots on the floor, and also didn't show up in playoff games, so by that standard he didn't give his all either.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

At worse harden and kd are equals. Still point being no one nearly as talented as kd has teamed up with harden in houston. I still think nets is going to be kds team, will be fun to see how harden reacts to that.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I also think Shaq is full of it. He was not exactly known for "giving it his all" at all times.

Did he give everything to the city of Orlando? I mean the way he played his exit from the Magic wasn't really all that much different/better than what Harden did, in terms of showing respect to his teammates and the city. He led the Magic on to believe he may re-sign, and then changed his mind and said "see ya" at the last minute, without much of a goodbye or showing much respect.

JeffB likes this.
  9. Mr. Space City

Then say he wasn't good enough in big moments. but to say he didn't give his all is false. The Rockets are not in the positions they were in the playoffs if Harden didn't give his all.

10. bro2044

bro2044 Member

You're describing a part of him not giving his all, yet wanting others to give him credit for giving his all.

Sorry, that doesn't work. Does anyone ever give their all? Maybe not, but if you actually say you have given your all or have done everything you can, then you open yourself to valid counter arguments because its hyperbole.

11. Mr. Space City

Or maybe don't take everything so literally then? He came to the Rockets, turned into one of the best players in the league when nobody thought he would, had good moments in the playoffs and bad moments in the playoffs like many superstars (kawhi last year for example), possibly lost out on a championship because his 2nd best player got injured, and that was that.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

And lebron got skewered for that. Probably the most hated player at that time. Some still hate him for that. Cavs fans were burning his jersey lol I don't see many Harden jerseys being burned like that.

I don't agree that Harden didn't do anything for our city. And you can have the greatest time with a team, but if you leave on a bad note, or force your way out like Harden did while throwing his team under the bus, thats what fans will remember most. We're only human. That one miscalculated step can ruin years of goodwill.

And It happens all the time. Chandler Parsons will never be welcomed in Houston after those comments he made about the city when he was with the Mavs. We all remember how tmac ended his rockets era.

But time heals all wounds. Maybe Harden comes back on the tail end of his career and joins our future super team :(

Zoplicone likes this.
  13. Asian Sensation

Lots of different opinions as expected on this one. Let’s just make sure we’re all clear on one thing though. Shaq’s interpretation/standard for “giving it his all” is obviously very different from what Harden considers “giving it his all”. Shaq is an All Time Top 10 player and has 4 Championships. If Harden truly believes he gave it his all after 2 WCF finals appearances in 9 years then so be it.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think Tucker just doesn't have the finesse to be good at offensive basketball, haha. That's why I want to trade him. But you can never doubt that he goes out every quarter wanting to play for pride.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What happened the next game???

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People LOVE to bang this game
    THE ONLY PLAYOFF GAME THAT HARDEN WAS LITERALLY LIFTED BY HIS TEAMMATES
    For all his FAILURES . . . . .in those game. . . Who stood up to stop the gap ?
    Who had an ALL WORLD GAME squandered because Harden failed?

Rocket River

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3 Games actually for different reasons

2015 Clips
    2017 Spurs
    2018 GSW

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

refresh my memory on those last 2

Rocket River

20. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

That line about Shaq saying his dad checked him up early in his career made me cringe.

James never had a father figure.