1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pick swap confusion - can Bimathug confirm?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daveford, Jan 14, 2021.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets need to hurry up and put picks and players together and still try to compete.
    I'm talking Hield and Herro now.

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Lol I commented on that misinformation spreading Athletic article and one of the authors replied then proceeded to amend his article..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

What???

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

You know it's time to Rebuild when Daryl Morey is signing many bargain players over the years.
    Instead of not Drafting and Growing Talent.

I think it's the Main Reason. The Warriors are a Dynasty by Drafting and Growing the Group Together.

5. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Look at their record over the years they acquired their top players.

They picked in the top 5 constantly because they were absolutely terrible for many, many years. Easy to commit to growing talent when your team is so bad you are drafting the best players available every off season.

BamBam likes this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Keep in mind that the “one and done” rule may be coming to an end for the 2022 draft. That could be a very deep draft as 18 year olds coming straight out of high school could be entering the NBA. That is the year you want lots and lots of draft picks.

RasaqBoi, RudyTBag and coachbadlee like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice, I worry about that right before the draft.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If that's the case, there's no reason for us to tank this year unless since as constructed we're definitely not a bottom 4 team.

RoxFanfrom93 likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully better than the last time we had 3 first rounders.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. ch44

ch44 Member

In 2021, we currently have between 1 - 3 first round picks.

(1) If Houston's own pick is in the top 4, we keep it. If it's not in the top 4, OKC can swap either OKC or MIA 1st round pick for our pick, so we essentially get the least favorable of HOU, OKC, MIA in this case.

(2) If Portland's own pick is between 15-30, so not in the lottery, we get it. It's lottery protected through 2027. Seems likely to convey to me this year.

(3) If Detroit's own pick is between 17-30, we get it. It has various levels of protection throughout 2027. Seems very unlikely to convey for multiple years.

Finally, we have one extra swap option:

(4) If any of the picks (1), (2), and (3) above are less favorable than Brooklyn's own pick, we can swap it for them.

luckyman76, Vivi, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  11. ch44

ch44 Member

In 2022, we currently have between 3 - 5 first round picks.

(1) Houston's own pick, unprotected

(2) Brooklyn's own pick, unprotected

(3) Milwaukee's own pick, unprotected

(4) Detroit's own pick, if it's between 17-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021

(5) Portland's own pick, if it's between 15-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021

luckyman76, itzIce, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  12. ch44

ch44 Member

In 2023, we currently have between 1 - 4 first round picks.

(1) More favorable of Houston's own and Brooklyn's own, because we can swap.

(2) Detroit's own pick, if it's between 19-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 or 2022

(3) Portland's own pick, if it's between 15-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 or 2022

(4) Washington's own pick, if it's between 15 - 30

In 2024, we currently have between 1 - 5 first round picks.

(1) If Houston's own pick is in the top 4, we keep it. If it's not in the top 4, OKC can swap it so the less favorable of HOU and OKC

(2) Detroit's own pick, if it's between 19-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 - 2023

(3) Portland's own pick, if it's between 15-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 - 2023

(4) Washington's own pick, if it's between 13 - 30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2023

(5) Brooklyn's own pick, unprotected

luckyman76, itzIce, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

can you enlighten us with an details about oladipo being a rocket, or is that deal possibly getting expanded to send him elsewhere now?

also anything on tucker/gordon going forward?

thanks!

14. ch44

ch44 Member

2025 is kind of complicated, so I'll stop there. We currently have between 1 - 4 first round picks.

(1) If Houston's own pick is in the top 10, we keep it. If it's not in the top 10, OKC can swap it with either OKC own or LAC own (PG trade happened first), so the second less favorable of HOU, OKC, LAC in that case in that case. Then with whichever pick we have, HOU or OKC or LAC, we can swap that with Brooklyn if it's more favorable.

(2) Detroit's own pick, if it's between 14-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 - 2024

(3) Portland's own pick, if it's between 15-30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2021 - 2024

(4) Washington's own pick, if it's between 11 - 30, and if we didn't already receive it in 2023 or 2024

#34 ch44, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    luckyman76, itzIce, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  15. ch44

ch44 Member

Oladipo will be a Rocket. The players from the first trade have to pass physicals first and then that trade will be announced.

Tucker is next. I'd be shocked if he's here after the deadline. Now that the rumor is out there, Wolves had the most interest going back to the draft.

Gordon doesn't want to go through a full rebuild here, but if we are competing every game he'll want to stay.

luckyman76, Vivi, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

alrite thanks

so it sounds like we might actually try to make the playoffs, as opposed to straight tanking for a top 4 pick then

any thoughts on oladipo getting flipped at the deadline as well?

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Man, that Miami pick kills us. So, if a team has a pick swap option they are able to swap any pick they had at the time the trade was made? Is that how it usually works? Are there ever pick swaps where you can specify that only a team's own pick can be used in the swap?

Could this be used in the Rockets favor in the future? For instance if the Pistons, Wizards pick conveys in the next couple of years where we have a pick swaps with the Nets, would we have the option of swapping those picks with the Nets rather than ours?

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Nice, I’m looking forward to see Oladipo. What do you think their thinking was picking him over LeVert? If he plays well is it trading him for the best deal at the deadline, re-signing him? Or letting him walk for free to shed salary?

Do you think PJ wants out that bad to wanna go to the Wolves? He looked so good and engaged last night, if it’s just a late 1st in return or seconds I’d rather just keep him and have him bring some intensity and help the young players. But if he is wanting out obviously you let him go

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe it’s about getting paid... but the wolves are the only team we can look down on in the standings in the West.

I credit Tucker for going out there and competing. Can’t question his heart.

Deuce likes this.
  20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Admittedly, I kinda want to see Oladipo. He’s a low ISO guy that moves around, so in theory he should be a good fit.

Tucker is almost certainly next, as long as we get a quality prospect or 1st. If it’s just a package of 2nds, I’d actually offer him the extension.

Don’t care what Gordon thinks. I’d move him for free if someone wants to take him off our hands, but I’m not trading picks to unload him,