1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Tilman Fertitta ownership different than Les Alexander ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is meant to be a real discussion. I'm legitimately asking the question because I know there are differences, but I want to see what the perception of the differences are.

What has Tilman Fertitta done or not done that Leslie Alexander would've handled differently?

2. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

1) Force a Trade for Russell Westbrook.
    2) Allow Pattycake Tita run shadow GM duties.
    3) Disrespectfully run Dantoni and Morey (and now Harden) out of town.
    4) Hire a rookie GM and rookie HC (who are doing well, but not bc of his cheapass).
    5) Run his stupid mouth all day.
    6) Keep selling 1st round picks to get LTS.

A silver lining?
    We are actually kind of rebuilding, if only because we have no option, something Leslie was never for.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Leslie would have never blown the team up in order to rebuild it, if anyone was actually more worried about saving money it was Leslie. He would rather keep the team mediocre and miserable over rebuilding it from the ground up and allowing a new head coach implement a new culture and style. Tilman is also from Houston, he is a Rockets fan. I think he actually wants to do something we haven't ever really seen. Something new. Leslie would continuously patch up major problems instead of doing it the right way.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Maybe I’m off but how I see things

He is loud and really wants the spotlight
    A lot of what he says is horse ****(spending/luxury tax promises)
    Feels more of a need to have his fingerprints on things

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

He canned Morey, that automatically makes him better. Morey = mediocrity treadmill

TWS1986, gumbleton3, Ramo$e and 3 others like this.
  7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

God I still can't stand his smug face - replace that pic with anyone else please - makes me think of all the annoying Golden Boy favoritism the Warriors got every year against us.

8. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

ElDobleK likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les built a 65 win team by bringing in a great GM, a great coach, and allowing his GM to couple Harden with CP3 and shooters.

Tilman Fertitta tore ALL of that down by pushing out the GM, the coach, forcing bad trades, forcing the trade for WB, and ultimately disillusioning his superstar player.

10. Rockets4Life13

Pissed off a bunch of CF posters for not paying 30 mil for washed Ariza (who btw has since been traded like a million times)

I do think he has major flaws, mainly that he has no money and I’m not sure whether or not he will ever be willing to spend on this team. But until that point is reached there’s still ways to go so we can’t tell yet.

some people around here are just hating on him way too much imo.

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

[​IMG]
    Les would never include TWO pics of himself in this mural.

12. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

1. Les was forward looking and hired Morey...Tillman ruined the relationship with Morey and let him go..
    2. Les put a mandate on not to tank and rebuild on fly. Based on what we got for Harden, the primary assets are picks and Tillman is happy with that. This leads me to believe that it is going to be a long rebuild process.

I think the difference in how the decisions are made is night and day. I understand not paying LTS as a constraint on GM but the general philosphy on running the team appears to be vastly different.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's difficult for me to know too well because I started watching basketball closely in 2010 after the Tmac/Yao era was over, I'm not sure how Les conducted himself with a contender. There was nothing wrong with Les avoiding the LT with Brooks, Kmart, Scola, not sure if he was the same with Yao/Tmac? I never noticed Les as a problem at the beginning of the Harden era.

There's definitely something wrong with Tilman avoiding the LT with one of the greatest Rocket teams of all time, that was a hamstring injury away from a championship. There's also his personal attitude and the way he handles things, I can't imagine Les making MDA/Morey feel disrespected the way Tilman did, it's clear with the way Tilman runs his other businesses, the dude just doesn't give a **** and is more focused on his ego then running a business well.

14. WestendMassive

Both were stingy but my impression is that Les was less involved on the basketball side of things.

Tilman seems like he's a lot more involved in roster construction than Les ever was.

15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I don’t think there is. Both owners are/were very cheap I believe Les dodged the lux tax every year.

anchel and Ramo$e like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think Tilman is more hands on that les ...
    Even if he says he’s hands off .

I think Tilman doesn’t have the ability to spend as much as les assuming equal willingness on both guys parts

I think Tilman wants to be known more than les. I never got the impression that Les wanted his face to be part of the franchise , Les only stepped up self promotion the last year or two he owned The team (IIRC)

both are definitely about that $ . Les fully reaped the benefits of Yao .

I think les was/is less stubborn . If tilman has made up his mind idk if stone and Silas can convince him otherwise .

The great mystery is the 15-16 season . I would kill to know what happened that offseason and how we went from Wcf to 41-41 . IIRC it was a les move to fire mchale 10 games into the season .. so that contradicts what I said earlier about thinking he’s more hands off . maybe it was a harden move. I doubted it at the time , not so much now .

I do think Tilman is more willing to bottom out ... which I think is a good thing . Mavs strategically ranked and it has worked out beautifully so far .

I think both are out-of-touch pieces of **** , but that generally happens when you have that much money and money is a focus .

les’ laugh is creepier

I also don’t think Les woulda traded CP3 . Seems like Morey didn’t want to move him and les would have had that be the final word . Les did want us to play fast and exciting and I think was leading the MDA hire. I don’t know enough about the last search and the Silas hire go determine Tilmans role in it yet .

will be interesting to see how long stone gets to run things as GM

what are some differences you can tell us about @Clutch ?

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

18. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Les is a lil B and ran off with our only two trophies.
    Tillman despite being cheap, we would have at least won 1 championship under him if Chris didn't injure his hamstring.

But to answer your question Clutch, I think Les would have let Morey do his job without interfering as much, like trading away Chris Paul for Westbrook. But what do I know...

#18 sushimaster, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Ramo$e, dcfma, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tilman seems like an egomaniac...

I'm still open about how good/bad an owner he is.

It really shouldn't be a surprise that a new owner would bring his own guys in as soon as he could. Man, a lot of people predicted/worried Morey would be out of here as soon as Les announced he was selling the team because that's what new ownership means.

Tilman gave it a shot with Morey/MDA but they were never his guys. So of course there might have been trust issues there with them and definitely so after that China thing. Man Les might have fired Morey on the spot if Morey did that under him with how hard Les chased that Chinese money. @tinman been going on about that for years...and now we finally have ACTUAL city jerseys.

Htown Stros, robgue, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The false bravado annoys me the most. It's one thing to be a cheap owner, but it's a whole other to be in front of the cameras all the time puffing your chest and talking about paying whatever it takes to win (while being a cheap owner). They're both cheap, but Les wasn't a chest thumping media hog.