1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Isn't Dipo a no-lose situation for the Rockets? 1 of 3 things will happen:

1. He plays well over the next two months and you can trade him for a pick or perhaps a young project type young player from a contender that needs another scorer.
    2. He stays in Houston all year, plays really well, and you sign him as a key piece for the future.
    3. He walks after the season, and you get a big cap relief.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes.

exactly this.

Stone, rightly, valued optionality. Given that Simmons is meh and nothing else notable was offered. There was no Brandon Ingram available. To the extent someone like MP Jr was available he wasn’t as good as Ingram in his last LA year and the Nuggets picks wouldn’t have been as good.

I’ve been confused by the guys clamoring for LeVert. Maybe he’s as good as a healthy Oladipo. And likely his contract is solid. Not an overpay for sure. But this team plus Caris LeVert isn’t that much better than this team without Caris LeVert and that’s no dig on him.

Oladipo has higher upside but more importantly more optionality.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So this guy doesn’t want to be here either? These dudes have no shame. No integrity either. Nba needs to do something. Get rid of trades entirely if it comes to it but players refusing to play for teams they don’t like or aren’t good enough is detrimental to the leagues product. They signed a contract and knew full well what the league life entailed. It seems to be getting worse and more overt. Dipo supposedly told heat players he wanted to be on their team in front of his pacers teammates!

4. chris4vikes

chris4vikes Member

Cs fan here. First, and don't attack me, but I thought the Rockets killed it in this trade. Are you kidding me? 4 first rounders unprotected and 4 swaps, plus Oladipo for an overweight malcontent? The Cs took the Nets to the cleaners on a similar trade in 2013 and wound up with Brown, Tatum, and Kyrie (traded for with the last Nets pick). You may do as well or better when the history is written.

BUT, to my question. Interest in trading Oladipo? The Cs have a huge trade exception so salary need not necessarily be matched. What's the price? First round pick plus young player? Or you are not interested at any price?

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Link?

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

the best post I’ve seen on this.

Oladipo is the better player, on a more flexible contract. We had to give up a 2nd to get him. this wasn’t us dumping Lavert...we wanted the better player.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If oli refuses can we just keep levert? That’s what I’m hoping for

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Can’t speak for every Rockets fan but personally, I want as many assets towards the future as possible and would trade anyone on the current team to keep acquiring assets. Wood is the only guy I’d like to keep around.... for now

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Nesmith and a first.

DrNuegebauer and raining threes like this.
  10. chris4vikes

chris4vikes Member

Yup, as a Celtics fan, I was in that mode for about 2 years after the Nets 2013 trade. The Celtics had 8 total picks in the 2016 draft. Ainge missed them all except the one that counted, Jaylen Brown. So I get it. I am fairly certain Oladipo would get interest in Boston. Brown + Tatum + Oladipo and maybe we can take down the Nets for you.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

yes. Oladipo is not in the rockets future plans. Agree on the return we got. The weighted risk on the backend of those picks is scary. Especially when considering the pick swaps. I’d say potentially devastating for NJ, but they’ve lived in that gutter for so much of their history it seems silly.

12. chris4vikes

chris4vikes Member

This is so much more than the Celtics got in 2013 (understandably because it's Harden still in back end of his prime). 4 swaps? The one swap we got turned into Tatum. Those guys can all bolt after next year. I personally think the chemistry will be a disaster. Harden overweight and is accustomed to being spoiled. Kyrie and Durant injury risks and histories. Kyrie already AWOL. Could be a dumpster fire and if the team is broken up next year, you may have the biggest heist in NBA history. How on earth would that team get good again any time soon? ROCKETS WON THIS TRADE HANDS DOWN.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

totally agreed. They went all in with a shaky hand. Rumor is they are trying to move kyrie. That could stabilize the base because the harden Irving pairing is what is so suspect. As a rockets fan, I gotta hope no team is willing to take kyrie.

14. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Olidapo will play his best this year due to the contract year. Houston still needs to look for another 20 plus players in the team.

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Unless he sulks or refuses to report. I’m hoping the rumors are false or exaggerated.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Someone will definitely take Kyrie if they are trying to move him. Heck the Knicks would jump all over that.

17. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

trade dipo to miami for duncan robinsion, a bad contract, and a pick

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The best we’re going to get is Nunn + first

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

the part that makes it even better is it doesn’t matter a ton If the Nets are really good for 2 years.

obviously you’d rather that not be the case as a Rockets fan. But they have 7 tries from the Nets to get at least one really good pick. Maybe 6 as it’s basically a lock they are at least in the playoffs this year.

bear in mind one of those years will be a double draft. It will be the year high schoolers are allowed back so it will have twice the potential of great, albeit young, prospects.

the only thing that sucks is the picks the Rockets don’t have from the Westbrook deal. But that is what it is.

at least they got a pick out of Washington and one from Detroit coming. Plus the Bucks pick.

so by my coping that’s 6 incoming plus 4 swaps. But 2 outgoing with one swap.

then Oladipo gives them massive optionality. Play and be great and stay. Trade for more future assets. Just walk and help create cap space.

look it’s not like the path to a championship is obvious.

but at least stone has a clear and obvious plan that makes a ton of sense and that he’s executing on to the best of anyone’s ability.

20. rockets13champs

When is the Dipo trade going to be finalized?