1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dante Exum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's more like they like expiring contracts lol. LTS is here to stay.

**** Tilman. Not a cent to the Rockets from me for a long time.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. DJ

DJ Member

Seems like a Michael Carter-Williams type of player

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's expiring and on a mid tier salary. Why in the hell would you waive that kind of asset?

BamBam and roslolian like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I must confess that I wanted Exum a few years ago. He really was playing well in Utah as a wing. I was hoping we'd get him.

Guess I was wrong because he has been terrible since then.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The Rockets are a claims-mobile...

Nook likes this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because he isn't an asset if the team is rebuilding. If the team is willing to take on larger long term salary for picks, maybe he could be an asset. Still don't really have a good gauge of the direction the team will use, whether Kevin Martin Rockets or Sam Hinkie 76ers

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We're going Thunder and Hinke. We are going to absorb salary for picks. That's why we are clearing so much salary for next season.

dmoneybangbang and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I am not convinced we are heading in that direction yet. I am taking a wait and see approach until I fully understand which direction the Rockets really plan to head. John Wall is currently not a trade able contract unless you attach assets to it and he will likely keep us semi competitive with Wood and Oladipo (even if temporary) for the mean time.

Nook likes this.
  9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Exum played well for the Cavs this year. Lock-down defense but there is really almost nothing to talk about offensively.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

That's a good point. Didn't realize he made so much and I have no idea how he got that salary but could be another useful trade chip as an expiring to get another buy low asset that a team is looking to dump. We definitely need to cash in the Oladipo and Exum expiring chips somehow.

Htown's Finest and roslolian like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is he dead weight? Even if you cut him you will pay his salary might as well use a warm body

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even if the team is rebuilding you still dont cut 9M of salary just because. It doesnt clear salary off the books you still gonna 9ay the dude.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't he have hamstring injury and will be out for more than a few weeks? He certainly isn't building value rehabbing.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Fine, lets cut him after the trade deadline.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Regardless whether he is value or not cutting him gives you no benefit whatsoever as his salary still on the books for the season.

Unless you think he ugly and looking at him makes you puke or something theres no point to cutting him.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. AXG

AXG Member

The next MCW; nothing to see here, folks.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

They needed a backup point. Also they need Victor to replace james for scoring. If Victor wants to be in Miami, he will have to wait untill his contract expires. For now he needs to do his job, or whatever the rockets need from him.

roslolian likes this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yep. Wall was the first move down this road. You take on the worst contract in the NBA and get a middling pick. You get expiring awful contracts and clear cap space so you can be a clearinghouse so other teams can dump contracts while extracting assets. Anything you have of value gets traded for max assets. Guys like Eric Gordon on negative value contracts stay bc there is a salary floor and you lose. Lots of games.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

20. Bids9

Bids9 Member

He was good mates with a guy from work. Remember heading to watch a NBL game with him when he was a teenager. A talented junior but thinking back had you told me he would become a solid NBA player never in 1000 years would i have believed it.

Ripping bloke too. Hate the Jazz but love Jingles

Nook and Jontro like this.