1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you are rebuilding you take the best player, not the best fit. You can always trade that player for assets.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Really??? But...But...I thought that was the next evolution of Rockets basketball! ;)

kjayp and tinman like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The whole defensive scheme is jacked up right now. I've seen Wood as a better help defender anyway and once everyone else can get on the same page I think the warts will smooth themselves out.

Im not ready to give up on Wood just yet.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we did get a 1st for allen. it's clear that Stone is finding players to fit Silas's 5-0ut system.

so the debate is if Allen is worth that Millwaukee first.

joshuaao likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

but we arent rebuilding. We are tanking.

Richie_Rich and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ultimately does it matter. Levert/Allen or Oladipo. Either way we are rebuilding and neither are cornerstones to anything. I would been intrigued at Allen starting alongside Wood, but honestly, adding another non-shooter to the line up is not all that great either.

I guess I really don't care all that much.

burlesk and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He'll get to play with Sexton and Garland.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets did not plan on spending the money to resign Allen this summer so they dealt him for a #1.

It is too bad. I don't know what his market cost will be, but he rebounds well, blocks shots, is a good athlete and in most matchups a good defender. He does struggle some against larger centers and he isn't ever going to shoot on the perimeter.

It really looks like the plan here is to keep payroll well below the cap line and and earn their portion of the money from tax paying teams. It doesn't sound like much but this mega deal overall will likely save Tilman over 100,000,000 over the next 3 years.

I also fully expect at some point for the Rockets to trade some of their new draft picks to someone to take on Eric Gordon's contract.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't want any of them long term.

Oladipo is either gone in a trade this year, gone in free agency next year or overpaid to stay long term.

LeVert has 3 years left at about $18 Million annually, he would fit in with the current team on a reasonable longer term deal and he would be a moveable asset going forward.

Instead the team opted for a guy who doesn't want to be here.

You can't make a James Harden trade and not get 1 single player who will be here beyond this year. Asinine.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Regarding Jarret Allen even futher:

John Wall isnt even playing the 2 man game with Wood yet, and we would have another guy on the team who is basically a PNR big who would need the PG to keep him involoved.

Im hoping with Harden gone that Wall will remember to keep everyone on time.

All this assumes too that PJ Tucker wouldnt be in the starting lineup?

How could you stomach a 5 OUT lineup with Allen AND PJ Tucker on it at the same time?

joshuaao likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

tanking is a form of rebuilding.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tillman is cheap - yes.

DD

13. Fantasma Negro

I gave up on Balsa when he switched off Anthony Davis and onto Montrezl, then Montrezl proceeded put on a clinic in the paint with Balsa guarding him.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but when I hear some of you guys talking about matching up with the Lakers and wanting "talent" it doesnt jive with my idea of tanking. I dont want ANY players that may help to contribute to wins ---- YET.

Gotta "trust the process"

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Trez is an old school big with his footwork. Wood is still learning, and offers enough in other areas that focusing on his suspect defense and not keeping things level is similar to the world when they used to crap on Harden for not playing defense. (chill Im not saying Wood = Harden)

If 9 games was all you needed to flush Wood then I dont know what to tell you. I'll hold a spot for you on the bandwagon.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I've quoted you before on LeVert already, but I'll re-state I disagree with this. Is the guy even going to be healthy enough the next few years. He is a decent asset, but his health has not been the greatest the last two years. If he is trending in this direction health wise, I rather have Oladipo, that besides the one freak injury in his career, he has been relatively healthy.

I don't know, trust the process I suppose. If we end up with a similar situation as Boston down the road, then I feel we won this trade, but who knows, can't really judge it now.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think that's a short sighted view. You accumulate talent as much as you can for the future. Allen was talent - not to compete with the Lakers but to package later on. Taking Oladipo is a mistake as he has less trade value given he is an expiring contract.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I seriously doubt that will happen, they should not have much cap pressure now since Harden is gone, we are not fighting for any playoff spots, so the picks are our only assets, there is no reason to give away picks at this point to send away contracts.

In future, if the cap is OK, we should take more garbage contracts to get more picks.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

No, the Rockets should not pay the luxury tax while rebuilding. However there were other moves the Rockets could have made to keep Allen and also get under the tax. The Rockets did not take Allen because they did not intend to resign him next year and instead opted for the #1 pick from Milwaukee.

The real savings for Tilman are going to be next year and the year after that, because the entire 90 million owed to Harden is 22 and 23 is gone now and no salary is replacing it.

I don't expect the Rockets to dodge the luxury tax, but I also expect them to be under the cap to get the additional money from the league, and possible well enough under the cap to save Tilman additional money. I am sure part of the allure to Tilman about rebuilding is that any loses he receives in concessions and ticket sales are off set by his future payroll going from 130 million down to 85-90 million.

Ideally Tilman avoids the tax, but lets the Rockets management do what OKC had done, take on some bad contracts for additional assets..... the Rockets could realistically add another 2-3 first rounders over the next few years simply be being a dumping ground for bad contracts that are a year or two long.

We have to find a way to make up the ground we have lost to OKC on the rebuilding front, they have many more assets which means when players become available, or moving up in the draft is an option, we can be out bid.

This can all work out with decent luck and smart and patient leadership.

20. Fantasma Negro

It was such a turn off to see him switch off Anthony Davis. If he can't guard the best big in the west why are they paying him? Just put Boogie in there and let him foul out, at least Boogie won't get his lunch ate by a guy a foot shorter than him.