1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Are you hearing the MPJ info from the same person that got you the indy info? If we could somehow come out of this with MPJ and the picks I’d be very happy.

Im actually good with the trade as is but it would be nice to have a young player to watch that has the potential to turn into something special.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

For all of these "He didn't win" super-fans, neglect to mention that the Rockets had won 1 playoff series in 15 years before he got here. We got a window of actually competing, so I'm grateful for that. I like rolling the dice on draft picks though. The run was over & players that could be obtained wasn't going to move the needle anyways.

francis 4 prez, Patience and jiggyfly like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes same guy but the Indy information was relayed to me as "done deal" and I just couldn't believe it. This seems more of wishful thinking.

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I understand Trey is disappointed but people are not realizing that teams VALUE THE HELL OUT OF UNPROTECTED DRAFT PICKS! If/when the timing is right, we can package some of these picks for 1 or even 2 stars. Unprotected future picks will always be one of the best forms of currency if you recall that Morey traded Kyle Lowry for a future pick which was then used along with other players in the Caris Lavert mold to obtain an up and coming star named James Harden. I realize that pick was special since it had genius protections to be a guaranteed lottery pick but the value of it was more to OKC than Kyle Lowry would have been at the time. Let's see if @Clutch can chime in about the value of unprotected future draft picks to talk Trey off the ledge so he can give us more inside knowledge about where Tucker, Oladipo, etc. could be headed. :)

TEXNIFICENT and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

who did OKC get when they traded PG? And how many 1st rounders?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/what-james-harden-trade-means/

According to one executive, Philadelphia blew a chance to improve their options as a contender by failing to land Harden.

“I think Philly missed an opportunity and now is stuck being in the middle of the East,” one Eastern Conference executive told HoopsHype. “They’re not as good as Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Boston, and in the end, Miami. They might just be a No. 5 seed by end of the season. Ben Simmons has not improved in one area of his game at all since coming into the league. He’s the same player today as he was in his rookie year, and teams have figured him out in the playoffs. He’s why they won’t go far.”

HoopsHype spoke with multiple executives about their reactions to the trade and what it means for all four teams that were involved moving forward.

“I like the deal for the Pacers and Houston,” another Eastern Conference executive told HoopsHype. “Brooklyn gave up a king’s ransom. Not sure why Cleveland took on Taurean Prince as well as giving up an unprotected pick swap. Harden is the best player in the deal, but Brooklyn is all in, and they have no protection in the future. Cleveland will look to dump Andre Drummond, and Jarrett Allenhas a bright future in the league.”

Brooklyn pushed all its chips in the center of the table to acquire Harden and form a superstar trio with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.

“They better win it in the next two years,” a rival Eastern Conference executive told HoopsHype. “It’ll be interesting to see how all these players and personalities get along together.”

Durant, Irving, and Harden each have a player option for the 2022-23 season.

Houston moved a disgruntled star who was causing obvious tension in the locker room, stockpiled a boatload of draft picks for the future to either use or flip in future trades, and added Oladipo, a two-time All-Star.

Oladipo will be one of the top unrestricted free agents on the market after the season, as noted in our HoopsHype 2021 rankings.

“I’m not sure what happens there,” an Eastern Conference executive told HoopsHype. “They might just want to get off money, so took the expiring Oladipo to have financial flexibility next year. Or they could try to re-sign him and see him as a fit with Wall.”

Multiple executives believe the Rockets will eventually trade PJ Tucker by the trade deadline.

“I think Houston can move PJ in a separate deal later,” one executive told HoopsHype. “He will have value in the East, especially to combat Giannis and Durant. I can see Miami going after PJ and maybe even Boston.”

Rumors swirled that Oladipo wanted out of Indiana for a while, which he denied. According to one Pacers teammate, there wasn’t tension in the locker room with Oladipo despite the rumors that swirled about his future.

“He came into camp with a refreshed mindset and was committed to the team, zero tension,” one Pacers player told HoopsHype on the condition of anonymity since the trade is not official yet. “I think the trade surprised us all, but it’s part of the business. We all loved Vic in the locker room.”

In the end, however, the Pacers moved their star guard before potentially losing him for nothing this offseason.

LeVert has a chance to share the backcourt with Malcolm Brogdon as a full-time starter and is owed $17.5 million next season and $18.8 million for 2022-23. Brogdon’s shooting ability, paired with LeVert’s ability to slash and create off the dribble, should mesh well together.

“Great pick up,” the Pacers player told HoopsHype. “I’ve been a fan of his game for a while now. He has a lot of dog in him and will fit our young core.”

ReturnOfTheMac and Vivi like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I promise I'm not an "insider" this is all incredibly random and no idea how this deal leaked out. I don't want thousands of posters calling me a fraud for this, I already can be called a fraud for my takes.

AceOfSpades and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope.

It has been much documented whoever burner account you are.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah but they have Rockets Legend™ Durrell Moray at the helm. they'll do fine

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Danilo Gallinari
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    2021 1st round pick (Miami unprotected first)
    2022 1st round pick
    2023 1st round pick (LAC swap)
    2023 1st round pick (Miami top 14 protected)
    2024 1st round pick
    2025 1st round pick (LAC swap)
    2026 1st round draft pick

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is what makes you the non-insider insider that we need. Curious if this same source knew about Christian Wood being part of the Ariza trade?

13. markelliott1997

LMAO they literally played together.

Patience and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol I guess if you like novelty prizes.

15. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

James Harden does not want to win a ring. He wants someone else to win a ring for him.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oops!

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That wasn't a source.

That was just wishful thinking and deduction.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which would put you in @DaDakota territory.

NEVER reveal your methods. Never. :cool:

treyk3 likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

OK GUY, I NO BULL.

I mean, most my posts are just me sharing my opinions and thoughts on the team. They just aren't awful ideas based on dunking over Korean Mid-Size Sedans.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

In the end, James Harden ruined everything he built with Rockets

[...]

Harden won this one. He gets K.D. and the Nets, which is exactly what he demanded in November when he shocked the Rockets’ world after ex-coach Mike D’Antoni and ex-general manager Daryl Morey had already fled the oncoming storm.

Harden was always going to win this because he’s Harden.

Good enough to win three consecutive NBA scoring titles, an MVP and a Sixth Man of the Year award and to leave the Rockets as the second-best player in franchise history.

But nothing close to truly great. Michael Jordan great. LeBron James great. Kobe Bryant great. Hakeem Olajuwon great. Heck, even Durant great.

[...]

If you know your recent NBA history, you know Cousins’ publicly calling out Harden for being disrespectful truly says it all about how badly it ended for The Beard in Houston.

We don’t care about all the 50-point games anymore.

The super-smooth triple-doubles and insane nightly stats.

How incredible Harden could be with the ball in hand: stepback 3-pointers, hard drives, shifting layups, brilliant passes and tough rebounds.

The fact Harden was stolen from OKC, Rockets fans were so proud of the theft for years and, not that long ago, it was fun to argue whether No. 13 was the best player in the NBA.

Or the most underrated player. The real MVP. A growing leader. Better at defense than YouTube and Twitter told you. The least of the Rockets’ problems in the playoffs.

We don’t care about any of that now.

Old news. Forgotten debates. Burning paper still on fire, drifting away in the cold wind of January 2021.

The real truth — the truth you know so darn well and has been eating at you for months — is that Harden ruined everything he built here in the end.

He made Anthony Davis’ me-first departure from small-market New Orleans look professional and graceful.

He was Carmelo Anthony forcing his way out of Denver and Dwight Howard throwing Stan Van Gundy under the bus in Orlando, but in a gross 2020 way that was horrendously out of touch and solely about me, me, me.

[...]

Some will tweet that the Rockets never should have let Harden go.

Some will scream on national TV that the Rockets should have gotten more for a future Hall of Famer who was obviously sandbagging it so the foolish Rockets would give up their frustrated superstar, no matter what they received in return.

Some will blame this person or that person.

But you’ll know the truth, and we’ll know the truth, and there’s a reason I’ve been writing what I’ve been writing in this newspaper the last 5½ years.

Harden was immature. He couldn’t be depended on when it truly mattered and, in the end, couldn’t be trusted.

The 31-year-old Harden also was never going to win a title here. And the Rockets were never going to win another world championship with Harden as their franchise face.

It was Kevin McHale’s fault, then Dwight Howard’s fault.

It was me or him and, Harden told the Rockets, Chris Paul had to go. After CP3 was the best overall Rocket on the court in the 2018 Western Conference finals and the only thing that prevented D’Antoni’s team from knocking out the Warriors — and winning a world title — was Paul’s hamstring giving out at the end of Game 5.

Then the Rockets had to trade for Russell Westbrook, Harden demanded. Then it went bad with Westbrook, just like it did with McHale, Howard, Paul … Cousins and new coach Stephen Silas.

[...]

Harden told you he was quitting on the Rockets, and then he did exactly what he said he was going to do.

He could never finish in the playoffs. He shrank in the brightest lights, blamed others when accountability should have been shared, and kept burning through superstar teammates, even though he wasn’t good enough to be great.

The Rockets catered to Harden for years, hoping for one perfect postseason that would change everything.

Then he ruined it all and partied without a mask in their faces.

“It’s something I don’t think can be fixed,” Harden said Tuesday before backing away from a podium and stepping away from further questions.

In the end, he was Harden.

It ended badly.

You walked away feeling burnt and let down.

All the Rockets could do was move on.

They invested everything in an NBA superstar who was never great. In a franchise player whom fans and the Rockets didn’t believe in in the end.