1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cheer up bro

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People b**** when their team isn't a contender and people b**** when their team tanks.

A core of LeVert, Allen and Wood isn't even going to contend for a WCF. Why would we pay LeVert more than Wood to do that? What's the point in that? What's the point of building a mediocre team? Its the goal to find Superstars and compete for Championships? You find Superstars in two ways.

You draft them or you trade for them with draft picks.

3. PeppermintCandy

It's truly astonishing what one bad owner can do to the direction of a franchise in just a few years.
    I mean, wow. What a disaster.

Hakeemtheking, jiggyfly and Patience like this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

A toxic player really. At some point you can't pay these people all this money for not producing. Especially if your star player has been disinterested for almost 2 and a half seasons. This man wanted out as soon as CP3 went down. Probably sooner messing with Harden. He thought he wanted to play with Westbrook until he found out what KD left for. He couldn't have asked or talked to KD before strong arming Rockets into the Westbrook trade? Tilman is some what to blame too but not all.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tilman has ruined this franchise in three years. Only way the team is ever decent again is if he sells. He has no intentions of selling.

I'm fine with tanking... next year.

Not owning draft picks this year means the Rockets are going for the 8th - 12th seed.

Not getting MPJ or Herro out of this deal (a young player with big upside) is the biggest issue I have. I wanted Brown (probably not on the table) or Simmons but I'm fine with the team going with the Brooklyn package if that's what they wanted. The Miami deal was too complex to realistically complete mid season. LeVert, Allen and Prince are worth more significantly more than they got. It was an objectively bad trade.

People around the organization are saying that Oladipo was just an all NBA type talent and the picks will all be very good. They have no ****ing clue what they are doing. They think they got 4 elite picks and an MVP. Oladipo doesn't want to be here. They got an expiring guy and 4 early - mid 20s picks. The organization rushed this deal.

LeVert , Allen + 1 or 2 FRP should have gotten you MPJ. The team still has eyes for MPJ so we'll see if they pull it off somehow.

They will be lucky to draft 1 player as good as LeVert with those picks. It's a painfully bad trade.

#725 treyk3, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, that's pretty much it

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

National media is praising the Rockets for basically getting their draft back after giving it up to OKC.

One problem, OKC's Rockets picks are now looking extremely juicy with "walking playoff birth" James Harden out of the picture.

On the other hand, we have the Nets picks, and that team now has said walking playoff birth in the Eastern Conference. By no means is this comparable.

I cannot believe the lack of good players we received. Why not just keep LeVert? Oladipo is a good player but he doesn't even want to be here so this is a rental.

This is just another cap saving move by Tilman Fertitta. Thanks Tilman. I don't know why he doesn't just sell the team to get money back but now the value of the franchise just tanked with no stars on the roster.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

This isn't as bad as the DeAndre Hopkins trade, but this is surprisingly close to it. But this trade probably has a clear intention to it, and it's not to win games. This is to save money and start from scratch.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

What do you think the trade was going for? Build a team that can beat the Lakers? You folks really don't get it. What's the point of paying money to not compete?

markelliott1997 and BossHogg713 like this.
  10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think they might surprise people...they'll do better than people think. If they don't...well, then Harden was right, wasn't he? If they do only win, say, 30 games, then wasn't this team not really very good? But, I think it was better than that, and they'll rally around being thrown under the bus. If they don't...then they don't have the right mental makeup, and we need to purge.

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yea cause why wouldn't he lol. Come on you know better. Its actually doing himself a disservice but signing longterm.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Now, even the fans who adored Harden most—the Rockets loyalists who defended all the flailing and ball-pounding, who talked themselves into the Paul-Westbrook swap, who amplified Harden’s grievances over MVP awards lost to Stephen Curry and Giannis Antetokounmpo—are left with only dismay and a patchwork team that might not make the playoffs.

[...]

If the Rockets looked feeble in the early weeks of this season, it’s mostly because Harden destabilized them with his trade demand and his pouting—to say nothing of Westbrook’s forcing his way out first, after one unsatisfying season of sacrificing his game for Harden’s.

So now it’s Harden on the move, inviting all the scorn that comes with his heel turn, though he will be mercifully shielded from the backlash until fans return to NBA arenas.

LeBron James used to hold the villain’s mantle, after spurning his hometown Cleveland Cavaliers in 2010 to form a superteam in Miami. But after winning a pair of championships and opening up with media and fans, James made a storybook return to Cleveland and delivered the Cavs a title, and along the way sparked a new age of player activism. His Q rating is just fine now.

Durant was cast as a villain in 2016, for ditching the Thunder to join their rival, the Warriors. But then Durant won a pair of titles and Finals MVP awards, and was widely praised for integrating his skills with the übertalented Warriors. Outside of Oklahoma, no one scorns him much.

Curry remains one of the most popular athletes on earth, even if the Warriors were momentarily cast as villains for the Durant signing. Westbrook’s game is polarizing, but few view him as a villainous figure.

Just 16 months ago, Harden insisted he had no interest in leaving the Rockets or in glamour markets or superteams, saying, “I'm going to find a way to win a championship, at least one. I'll figure it out in Houston.”

Now he’s heading to Brooklyn. To a glamour market. To join a superteam. To chase a championship. And to certify himself, however unintentionally, as the NBA’s reigning villain.

ak99999 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

If Harden playing "disinterested" for 2 years gets 2x first team all-nba and 2 trips to the Conference Semis, what does that say about every other "superstar" we have had since Hakeem?

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

This is why you can't take people seriously on this forum.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You're an *******.

Honestly not sure why I'm even responding to your disrespect. This wasn't even my idea. It has been floated by Simmons for months.

Also, MPJ is still a target and the organization thinks they can still get him. Not sure why they think this, but they do.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

Why are you quoting Bill Simmons like he's the GM of the ****ing Nuggets?

markelliott1997 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Rockets still think they can get MPJ so I guess they are the delusional ones?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

The Sixers thought they could get Harden too. How'd that work out?