1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Oladipo over LeVert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 14, 2021.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ben Simmons is like Magic Johnson but a better defender. Magic wasn't a good shooter

ktbballplaya likes this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

A guy who can get you 50 or 15 assists in a win

HP3 likes this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

LeBron is going alright and Simmons has just as much as him when he was younger

Problem with people is they think a player has to be a flatout three point shooter to be a gun, but those people forget that you need a guy like Simmons setting the shots up.

HP3 likes this.
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

And it was MIL FRP to boot lol.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Wood would have been better with Simmons than Oladipo or Levert, although LeVert can pass

D-rock likes this.
  6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

But even when Joel is on the bench and Simmons is in their with the second unit he is not looking to score. Did you know that Ben Simmons has only scored 30 or more points only 5 times in his entire career? He's never even had a 40 point game before. And this year he hasn't even had a 20 point game bro.

7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

But he doesn’t set people up. People need to stop thinking that his offensive limitations are just shooting. He can not run the half court offense period. His dimes are on the break. The ball is out of his hands in crunch time. He is only ever in the dunkers spot. His offensive limitations are much more vast then just shooting.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  8. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Bids9 likes this.
  9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol come on that is wrong

D-rock likes this.
  10. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m sorry, but help me here.

How does an expiring and injury prone Oladipo bring back more assets in a deal than LeVert? LeVert is younger by two years, has one more leap in his game, produces the same as Oladipo despite being a third option, and is locked up for 3 more years at just $18M. That’s a steal.

If the main objective is to stock up on draft capital, LeVert brings back more than Oladipo.

Why not?, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he doesn't need to be a scorer if he is setting up the points. That doesn't mean he isn't a huge talent

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Bro I grew up in the 80's. Trust me I love me some Magic Johnson but this ain't the 80's anymore bro. The game has much more spacing now, all 5 guys have to be able to shoot. That's why the traditional back to the basket big is all but extinct now in the NBA. They want everyone to be able to stretch the floor and be a scoring threat from deep, even 5's. Something Simmons can't do or hasn't proven he is willing to do.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they also wanted cap space i guess

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

if there is more spacing, it is harder to stop a guy like Simmons breaking a defence down

15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

TBH I only watched the first 111. And in that every pass except two are on a fast break or a broken play. Two came in a half court set. The video that i saw up to just proves my point. His dimes are in transition

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Three reasons.

1. When healthy Oladipo is a better player than LaVert.

2. Oladipo's can be traded to contender in March for a pick.

3. Oladipo can be traded to a team looking to unload a bad contract off their books for a pick of two.

In short it just gives us more options to trade him to more teams.

#56 Htown's Finest, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Mr Woods and Why not? like this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Oli will not stay, it still requires to do a 2nd trade with other 20 plus players

18. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

No it's actually the opposite. They'll sag off him making it harder for his team to score. Kinda how the Lakers played Westbrook this last playoffs and how Pop had the Spurs defend against LeBron in the 14 Finals. The defense can basically just play a box and 1 and put a wall up similarly to what Toronto does to Giannis when they play Milwaukee.

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Westrook will shoot it, Simmons will think it through, that is the difference

Why not? likes this.
  20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol he can pass in any situtation