1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Oladipo over LeVert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Most people are going to focus on the 8 unprotected picks vs Ben Simmons.

But why Oladipo over LeVert? I get that Oladipo is an expiring, but don’t we want to prioritize asset accumulation over salary relief? LeVert absolutely gets you back more in a trade due to his age, talent, and contract. On top of that, Oladipo doesn’t even want to be here — which potentially creates more drama. I just don’t get it.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i dont get it either. Maybe levert had two years while dipo is expiring ? Seems like something cheapskate tilman would suggest.

jdiggidy, Sonicbun8, ArtV and 11 others like this.
  3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

BigggReddd, alethios, Ziggy and 9 others like this.
  4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Money is the only thing I can think of. Get him off the books at the end of the year and have a bunch of rookies on rookie contracts on the roster.

tmoney1101, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

superyachts cost money

#DonSterling2.0

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's exactly why you take Oladipo over LeVert, they are similar players with similar market value, but Oladipo gives you cap space which means you can trade him and then use the cap space to either sign a (good) player or absorb bad contracts while farming some picks.

Look at it this way, what's better between LeVert and Oladipo plus a Wood in free agency or one/two 1st rounders in the summer for taking on a bad contract of another team? I think it's an easy answer.

topfive, HTownND, dcfma and 3 others like this.
  7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

It's possible but I don't know that the future money is really the answer.

Levert's deal isn't a super bargain, but it should have positive value. If the Rockets wanted they could likely get that deal off the books without too much hassle this summer.

My guess is that there's more upside with Dipo to accumulate assets. Levert is okay but there's not really much upside. If Dipo could showcase that he really could recapture his all-NBA form he has value at the deadline to a team for the rest of the season and for his bird rights. At the end of the season there's also potential S&T value. Or if Dipo really kills maybe we want to resign him, though that seems less likely.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tillman, the fake billionaire, took 2 years to destroy the Rockets because he is cheap. Why do you think we took Oladipo?

HINT: It's something green made of paper.

BigggReddd, topfive, dcfma and 7 others like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We turned Robert Covington into Christian Wood and 2 1st round Picks.

We turned Russ into Wall and a 1st.

Let’s wait and see what Rafael is up to with Oladipo.

giddyup, Why not?, Raider17 and 15 others like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

because he was touched by the king himself.

[​IMG]

Why not?, 34to11 and tmoney1101 like this.
  11. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Because Houston values picks over fringe players. Seems like the most probable scenario is that Houston flips Oladipo this March for additional draft compensation. They simply don't want to be mediocre, they would rather be really good or really bad. With LaVert and Wood together here for the next two seasons the Rockets would actually be able to win more games than most here might think. My guess is Houston is going the Boston/OKC route. Tank and collect a bunch of draft picks that they can either use to flip for a trade down the line or go for a total rebuild. But this move gave them the most flexibility.

Why not?, wallyj12, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  12. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I don’t mind Oladipo over Levert. What I don’t get is the trading Allen and Prince for a late first. I wish we held on to them until the deadline and flipped them individually for additional draft capital. People would pay for Allen. And 3/D guys like tucker and prince would’ve added to the stash

Mr.Scary, Why not?, bj3175 and 11 others like this.
  13. hlcc

hlcc Member

It's not really 8 unprotected picks. It's 4 picks and 4 swaps. The 2021 swap is basically worthless. The 2022 Bucks and Nets picks will most likely be in the 20s. The 2023 swap will most likely not convey either

HP3 likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

And people are banking on the Nets( who are a competent organization to just be straight up ass) for reasons I cant even think of. Gamble...but whatever.

15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Because Tillman is the worst boss on this planet.

clos4life, mishii and Der Rabbi like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs got Allen AND Prince for a first and a second.

Unbelievable.

Imagine if that is all it took to get these players when Morey was trying to get them last season in preparation for playoffs.

17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Houston likes those players who gets big injuries before. Like gamble and hope they can recover 100 percent in their top form

Why not? likes this.
  18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Not sure how inclusive your definition of "basically" is, but there's some misconception about the swap I think with at least some folks. We now get the second worst pick out of Houston, OKC, Miami and BKN instead of just the worst out of Houston, OKC, and Miami. It's not super likely but also wouldn't be completely crazy if Miami wound up with a better record than BKN.

Why not?, dcfma and RudyTBag like this.
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

I wonder if Tillman had discussions with the Heat already. What would it take to get Herro? Oladipo? Give me a few moments

Why not? likes this.
  20. Asian Sensation

Even if the picks amount to jack ****. Not having to pay $50 MILLION dollars for a loser like Harden for the next 4 years is a major win.

Why not? and Htown's Finest like this.