1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

LMAO...James Harden is not important enough to waste my precious energy on hating. But their have been a lot of rumors about him being a suck ass teammate around the league for a while now. No need for you to get your panties in a bunch anymore about James Harden. He's not here anymore. You're going to always be defending James Harden because I imagine a lot of people on this board are going to trash him now. And the crazy thing is I'm not even trashing Harden. I'm simply stating what's been rumored around the league and that's pretty common knowledge bro.

2. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

When they’re ready to get paid, YES. Where have you been moron.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Still better than an expiring contract.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Kd/harden/Irving all have the same amount of time left on their deals and get to opt out and become FA’s in 2022. This could very well be a 2 year trial and everyone moves on depending on how all things play out. Which is anyone’s guess. Apparently @HP3 is sure though

roslolian likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Rumors like what LOL? DId you see any of the former rockets come out about Harden like they did with Kawhi and PG? Nah....the fact is all superstar players are hard to play with. But we havent heard much about Harden himself being particularly bad teammate except for now when he's trying to be one. Im really sick of the trash arguments you are giving me without context just because I said KD and Harden would work out. Kindly provide some facts or leave this convo be because all you have is non evidence.

#205 HP3, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. Rockets4Life13

I can't believe some of you are really this incapable of understanding basic business practices.

Paying 30 mil for a washed ariza = no good

Paying however much for a young star = really good

Even if it was ONLY about money, a young star increases the value of your franchise by a lot more than his contract will make you pay him.

So who is the moron here?

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Did I mention Ariza. How stupid are you?

8. Rockets4Life13

Not worth my time. Move on in your life, thinking you're smart.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The real loser in all this is brabra

He was so close to being forever immortalized and to be deemed an insider had he guessed this one right, but instead lost all credibility. “Dominated the scene” hahaha

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

W/o a doubt the stars James hasn't meshed with have had issues with others too, but even the most favorable interpretation as to why those relationships fell apart is that James isn't cohesive enough to make a difficult situation with another star work.

Of course it's a gamble but I think it's a smart one. I didn't like the gamble when we made the Russ trade that this wouldn't fall apart by 2024 (I never fathomed the 2021 swap would turn out this bad, though).

Morey didn't want to gamble on Harden or he wouldn't have drawn the line on taking protections off the two pick and adding a third and Maxey.

Trading for Simmons, Thybulle, and two presumably heavily protected picks would have been a different kind of gamble too. This one is higher risk/higher reward, which I think makes sense where we are at now.

But I would have also been fine with that trade too.

roslolian likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

dodged a bullet with Simmons. you wanna rebuild around a guy that the other team doesn't even have to defend? on a championship team he's drayman green, Lamar odom, or Dennis Rodman depending on how old you are. he's not Steph or klay, he's not kobe or even Pau, he's not Michael or even scottie. he's a #3.

now 8 unprotected nets picks could bring us the next KD/harden/rus combo. those picks will be bad for 2-4 years but by years 5-8 we're looking at high lotto picks. I'd rather wait 4-5 years for the chance at drafting a couple of #1 or #2 guys than rely on Simmons to get us to the playoffs during that time and then get old and traded for a few late firsts and end up being the 10th best team in the west for the next decade.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wouldn't consider a swap a pick.

We got 4 first. Two of them are incredibly likely to be late (Bucks/Nets), two of them are total question marks. The swap in 2021 is completely worthless, 2023 is likely worthless too but could be valuable if the team implodes and everybody walks in the 2022 free agency and the Rockets are somehow good by then, and then the 25/27 are total question marks.

So I see this as

2 late first, 2 mystery box picks, 2 mystery box swaps + Oladipo

Vs

Simmons, Thybulle (worth a late 1st himself) + at least 1 late 1st

So value-wise, assuming Thybulle and a Philly first cancel out the 2 late first from the Nets package, we can break it down even further into

Ben Simmons

Vs

2 mystery box picks, 2 mystery box swaps + expiring Oladipo

So my opinion is because Harden was our last franchise-changing asset, because we don't have control over the majority of our picks until 2027, that we should have went for the sure thing in Simmons vs mystery box picks/swaps and Oladipo. The Nets package could very well end up being the better deal, but it could also be disastrously worse if the Nets stay a premiere franchise in NYK, and sign more star FA's after the current big 3 trio is over

dmoneybangbang, jacoby and HP3 like this.
  13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

TRUTH

Bo6 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bingo

Bo6 likes this.
  15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

It doesn't have a ton of value but it's not 100% worthless. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not out of the question that Miami could end up having a better record than the Nets if there's friction or key injuries or something or maybe Miami makes a big trade of their own.

And on your other points, even though the Bucks pick is extremely unlikely to be a good pick, unprotected is still much better than a protected pick that 100% will not be a good pick when you are in swing for the fences mode.

The Warriors last year are a perfect example.

roslolian likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Sure but Ron the court Kevin Durant doesn’t have a problem making it work though and neither does Harden. They both like each other and are both good something missing vs Cp3 and Westbrook

to be fair I don’t know if Morey is the only one making decisions there.

im not a fan of the gamble tbh. I don’t trust our fo at all

17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Easy...What's your next excuse gonna be HP3? Make it a good one. You're just going to defend Harden no matter what. As a Rockets fan you should be hoping Harden continues his trend and this Nets trade blows up. But as always you get extremely emotional when it comes to anything derogatory about James Harden. Smh...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/spacec...d-continued-alienation-rockets-teammates/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...p-15-people-who-do-not-like-james-harden/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...ompletely-unfair-houston-rockets?platform=amp

http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/...ward-houston-rockets-teammates-nba-basketball

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

So you going to blast their owner for meddling with what Morey wants like you do Tilman?

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You get the chance to get a higher pick, IF the Nets finish with a worse record (good luck with that in most of the swap years). Even if that occurs, it's still not an extra pick. You get 4 picks, not 8.

Cool.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you sure have a weird fascination with semantics. how many picks are involved in the deal 8. cool. all this its not 8 and its 4 talk is pure stupidity