1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long until Wood can get traded

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wulaw Horn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s probably the correct answer. Again- I’m not saying. Trade him now- just know it’s likely coming. The question becomes when is it optimal.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The OP is a person that had season tickets in 93-95 and was there celebrating at the summit when dream won us our first title.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They change the lotto rules like 2 times a decade. It’s not random, it’s slightly more random and goes 4 deep instead of 3. The math is a little different but the concept is the same. I didn’t say Wood was “marginally better” I said he makes us marginally better. Which is true. He’s a great asset. That sits atop a pile of absolute **** (if the goal is to win a title or seriously compete for one).
    keeping him around to be in the play in tournament is like letting BoB trade two premium draft picks to the Dolphins to make it to the second round. It ultimately is pointless and counterproductive if the goal is to win a title. We aren’t La. we aren’t Miami. And our owner is a clown. We won’t be a destination for the top FA that drive winning. So, you have to get them via draft or trade.
    building up draft assets gets you lotto tickets to get a superstar that can win you a title, or provides the ammunition to get a super star to open up your title window if you can’t get the best of the best in FA. Having Christian Wood on your team from 25-27 surrounded By meh and moving on if he’s really great doesn’t do anything to get you to title contention.
    I feel like nobody on this thread realizes we just busted open the pipe that leads to 500 yards of foul smelling shot that we have to crawl through like Andy to get out of Shawshank. Get ready for it, we are fixing to crawl through ****. And we will be there for a long time.

sydmill likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Irrelevant information. You mean like how Skip Bayless was there in the dellivery room when MJ was born?

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No. I’m saying I’ve been a rockets fan for longer than some here have been alive and seen it pay off ultimately in the big prize. I’d like to see that happen again before I die. I want this team to contend. The Harden era was worth it. There won’t be a Wood era” that includes serious title contention.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why will the Rockets be surrounded by "meh"? You realize the Rockets will have both Wall and Oladipo expiring within the next 2 years? If the owner is such trash why did Wall, Oladipo, Wood and Cousins all ok going to Houston? Any of them could have snubbed the team or said they ain't playing.

I feel like you are dreading the Rox to suck for a long time but at the same time you want to sabotage the Rox so they do suck for a long time. Fertita wants the max $$$ so I doubt the Rox will really bottom out like you are hoping for. At least Wood is a better asset than when Morey first took over and the Rockets were rolling with Shane Battier and Luis Scola for 8th in the playoffs.

7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I fell bad for Stephen “I took this job because of harden and Westbrook” Silas

Fulgore likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you want to be around when the Rockets become contenders again then advocating full tank isn't it.

Very few teams came back from full on tanking Sacramento for example still hasn't recovered from Rick Adelman era.

Sanctity likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Too old. Too tall.

HookemHorns1250 likes this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we keep him at least up until the last year of his contract .

by then he will either be good enough to try to keep long term , bad enough that you trade him with assets for a better player , or you trade him as a rental FOR assets .

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

there is a min salary floor in the nba

if we want to go the OKC route and use cap space / trade good players for bad contracts and assets that ok .

what has wood shown so far that he’s worth significant draft capital ? Hes less proven than Covington. We need to let wood get better before we trade him . Maybe if he puts up gaudy #’s some team overpays for him ... that’s fine .

we shouldn’t be looking to move him at all costs tho

he’s not good enough to derail our tank

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. JD88

JD88 Member

Why not?

You don't think the Rockets can make improvements to the roster over two years? Well, I guess that's where our opinions differ.

13. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Wood is not good though. He can put up empty points, but he has a long way to go to be even an okay defender, rebounder, and high-IQ decision maker.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is a great post and in the mold of the point I was trying to make. Yes- you work on development of Wood so that you can turn him into the best asset possible and optimize the return.
    Yes- you become a clearing house for shitty contracts due to the salary floor and extract assets in the future every time you do that. And then you hope you get lucky at some time in the future when stuff lined up for you. OKC did it in putting together their core and never got across the finish line. Philly turned the car over to an idiot when it was ready to drive. Either that or relocate to LA or hope the next Lebron was born in Tomball. the spurs were the Spurs bc of strategic tanking and luck twice in a 30 year stretch, and then smarts surrounding those two incredible strokes of luck.

sydmill likes this.
  15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Is this a joke? :confused:

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Did you watch the 2011-2014 astros at all? You see what OKC is doing right now?
    Rebuilding doesn’t include keeping any assets that might help you get to respectability. I think it’s imminently likely he gets moved when the org believes he’s maximized his value. see the news DIpo is asking out? The goal of this team won’t be to win the next couple years.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

At the very least you need him to stay pad for a time and then trade him and perhaps Gordon for expirings and a good pick or two. At some point you have cap space and picks coming out of your eyeballs. But it’s a process and you can’t be stupid about or the cap space will be for no one that would want to be here.

Wulaw Horn and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he is good for tanking anyway.

He does not play much Defense, and can be showcased and dangled for a trade.

20 and 10 but not the essentially important 20 and 10.

He isn't really expensive, around 14 million a year.

I would definitely trade PJ, Gordon, House, Wall, Oladipo first but not because I like him as a player.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Are some of y’all trolling or do you really want to get rid of every good player we have? Winning games is why the team plays right?

everyday eddie and Zen Tabak like this.